Hacking N Card firmware help please !!!!!!

clarkey999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys
Im goin off my head here folks. I upgraded my kids NCards with 1.45---2.53 supposed latest firmware ( nand_stable 25) menu and on all the games I now get the error Data could not be written. Turn off the power and reinsert the card. Of course when I do this it changes nothing . the games are all listed as before but when trying to load them the same error comes up again. I reformatted and tried running the nand_stable 23. this seemed to run ok but when I turn on again it still says 2.53 in the corner and the error still comes up . PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Help me someone out there . My kids are drivin me crazy over this. I have reformatted before and after the firmware flash and loaded the appropriate xmenu.dat . I think I am doing something wrong . I want to go back to a firmware rev and menu option that will work again . can someone please point me in the right direction with this. thanks to you all in advance.

clarkey999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks my friend for the tip , ill try it . but its doing the exact same thing on 2 different cards in 2 different ds lites

paul1991

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats odd. Did you download my guide from the FAQ thread? Theres a link to it on the bottom of the first post.
Lets start from the begining. Try putting everything youve done to the card in a detailed list. Number 1 will be powering off the DS with the card working. It may sound silly, but I need to know everything to help. Include files you deleted, the upgrade program you ran etc.

Its probably no big deal with your cart.
One last thing, did you format it with your computer? Its important that you never do. It can kill the card.

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
on all the games I now get the error Data could not be written. Turn off the power and reinsert the card.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you get this error after a game has loaded but before you can play? And it happens to all games you tried? Which games specifically (list a couple)?

This usually occurs when you have the incorrect savetype set. The later n-card firmwares try to guess from the rom, the savetype to use. It also refers to a list (savetype.sdb) in the DSYSTEM folder. When a game is set to 'auto' savetype and xmenu guesses wrong or the wrong information is in the savetype.sdb file, or you have it set to the incorrect savetype manually, you'll get that message in game

The worrying thing is that you say it happens for all games (again, please list some). It strikes me as quite unusual for the firmware to guess them all wrong. Especially if they've worked before (and if they have, why the update?)

You can try getting the firmware from elsewhere and following the instructions to the letter (again).
Manually trying other savetype settings.

clarkey999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Mate. Whats the .nds file upgrade . to answer your questions I have in the past successfully upgraded firmware on dozens of n cards , it seems to be a problem with this latest beta version . games that wont work , shrek , simpsons , cookin mama , mario party , etc. etc. the only one that does seem to work is disney friends. when I go through the firmware DOS batch file it appears to do it and when I power off and on and attempt the formay this also appears successful on both of them. All help appreciated. My kids are losing patience with theor dear ol dad

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have in the past successfully upgraded firmware on dozens of n cards , it seems to be a problem with this latest beta version . games that wont work , shrek , simpsons , cookin mama , mario party , etc. etc.

1704_Mario_Party_DS_EUR_NDS-XPA.zip

Works perfectly. Savetype set to auto.

1607_The_Simpsons_Game_USA_NDS-Micronauts.zip

Works perfectly. Savetype set to auto.

I'm using n-card 1.45, xmenu 2.53 (bat update method)
http://www.superdslink.com/soft/nc_menu_1.45+2.53_sd.rar

For interest, here is the auto/nds update method.
http://www.superdslink.com/soft/nc_menu_1.45+2.53_auto.rar

With dsgba's latest little update (really just for final fantasy 4).
http://www.dsgba.com/down/nand_stable_26.zip

The games work fine.

clarkey999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
ried the auto update to 2.6 millionaire works , shrek doesnt , mario party doesnt either , can I manually open the savetype file and set it to auto

clarkey999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think Im getting somewhere, when I set the save type to 4mbit the games work but on auto they dont. I would like to be able to get them to work like before automatically but this is progress and I would really like to thank you guys for al your help , were nearly there !!!!

clarkey999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think Im getting somewhere, when I set the save type to 4mbit the games work but on auto they dont. I would like to be able to get them to work like before automatically but this is progress and I would really like to thank you guys for al your help , were nearly there !!!!

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
in xmenu, with game highlighted, hold select and press d-pad left (or right) to cycle savetypes. stop at auto. if auto fails, trial and error the other savetypes. if it still failing, full format to fix read/write errors and update from above links. if still failing, source rom elsewhere, if still failing replace card at retailer.

I really suspect you have dodgy firmware update like the mk5 team are prone to put out.

you should just be

-update (either bat or copy nds and run)
-format
-copy xmenu.dat
-copy troubling roms
-restart
-trial.

forget savs and sure as hell don't be copying some dsystem folder over like some old guides say. let xmenu autogenerate it.

clarkey999

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
whats the procedure for full format , they all seem to work on save set to 4mbit but I would like to see them work on auto

Porkdish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't see formatting helping in this case. All the same, instructions for full format are listed in that thread as

QUOTE said:
you can try the full (long) format by pressing L+R+Select+START+UP

Have you actually used either of the 2.53 update files I posted?, I don't mean just the 1.26 dldi update, I mean either of the first two files... since you noticed this problem...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey