Hacking My Wii will not read my backup discs. Please help!

PsychoticDust

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone,

I'm using NeoGamma R8 (Rev 14) to load my backups, I recently brought some discs and they won't work at all. I get various error messages, NeoGamma times out, or at best I start a game only to see the message "The game disc could not be read, etc...". The last discs I had were DVD+R 8x speed and they were great, but my local shop now only has 16x speed discs.

The discs I am trying to make work now are TDK DVD+R, 1-16x speed, 4.7GB single sided. I know people say to use DVD-R, but for now I'm stuck with the discs I have and I've never had a problem with DVD+R in the past. All of my old DVD+R x8 backup discs still work perfectly.

I'm using ImgBurn and I've tried burning discs at 3x all the way to 8x. My drive won't go any lower than 3x or higher than 8x. I make sure that my laptop is focused solely on burning discs when I burn them. I would love to use an external harddrive, but all I have is a 4GB USB, so I can only put small games on it. Lol, go me.

If it helps, my Wii is 4.1E, about 3 years old, I've always used backup discs and I've never updated through Nintendo.

If you need anymore info, then please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

PsychoticDust

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dimensional said:
More than likely your Wii came with the new disc drive. This one will not, in any way, read backups. They explain it in WODE. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=207935#e2

Thanks for the prompt reply.
smile.gif

I brought my Wii about 3 years ago, I've always used backup discs and I've never updated it through Nintendo. I think that maybe the problem is that I've gone from using 8x discs (which have always worked perfectly for me) to 16x, but I can't get anymore discs for a while, so I need to know how to make them work.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PsychoticDust said:
Dimensional said:
More than likely your Wii came with the new disc drive. This one will not, in any way, read backups. They explain it in WODE. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=207935#e2

smile.gif

I brought my Wii about 3 years ago, I've always used backup discs and I've never updated it through Nintendo. I think that maybe the problem is that I've gone from using 8x discs (which have always worked perfectly for me) to 16x, but I can't get anymore discs for a while, so I need to know how to make them work.
Yeah, sorry about that. I read most of your post, as sometimes I can't see bits and pieces. You might want to go back to 8x discs, or trying to burn the discs at a lower speed, like 6x, as that's how fast the native wii drive will read. When you burn a disc, there should be an option to burn at a slower speed.

PsychoticDust

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dimensional said:
PsychoticDust said:
Dimensional said:

smile.gif

Yeah, sorry about that. I read most of your post, as sometimes I can't see bits and pieces. You might want to go back to 8x discs, or trying to burn the discs at a lower speed, like 6x, as that's how fast the native wii drive will read. When you burn a disc, there should be an option to burn at a slower speed.

Lol, that's ok I appreciate that you're trying to help. When I can I will go back to 8x, but for now I'm stuck with the 1-16x and I don't want to have wasted my money. I've tried burning them at every speed between 1 - 8

PsychoticDust

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dimensional said:
Are the discs the exact same brand as the ones that did work?

No, the discs I'm using now are TDK DVD+R, 1-16x speed, 4.7GB single sided and the one's that worked were Tesco (lol) DVD+R 8x. I've tried Tesco DVD+R 16x, but they didn't work, so I moved on to the one's I'm using now as they're a better brand.

PsychoticDust

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dimensional said:
Then it might just be the speeds the disc can use. I guess the drive can only handle discs that only have 1-8x speeds.

Yeah, I'm thinking that it's my drive rather than the discs, as with 8x I've only ever had 3-4 bad burns out of many, many discs and I've not had one good burn with a 16x, but still I just want to see if there is a solution to get a 16x disc working for me. I'm not very technical, so I'm hoping that some of the more Wii savvy people out there will have a solution!

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With each post I'm getting new information that completely changes my thoughts on the problem. Now you tell me that the drive sometimes does bad burns. Yes, it could be your drive. I'd recommend getting a new one or maybe trying out USB Loader GX.

HaniKazmi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is a simple issue. The wii can't read TDK discs. Ever. It has nothing to do with burn speeds or drives.
I'm not sure why, but me and serveral other people have discovered this. Just get another brand and use them.

PsychoticDust

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dimensional said:
With each post I'm getting new information that completely changes my thoughts on the problem. Now you tell me that the drive sometimes does bad burns. Yes, it could be your drive. I'd recommend getting a new one or maybe trying out USB Loader GX.
Lol I mean that with 8x discs I've only ever had about 3 bad burns out of about 50 games and nothing but bad burns with 16x discs, so I think it's either my drive or I'm not doing something right, but I don't know what...

I would love to use a USB loader, as they're great, but I only have a 4GB USB...

PsychoticDust

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dimensional said:
Lol. Some games are only as small as 500 MBs, like the New Super Mario Bros Wii. Try buying an external HDD. They sell some 320GB external HDDs at Walmart for $55, plus tax. Take a look: http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do...&depts=E_Gi
Thanks, but I'm in the UK, so your Walmart is my Asda. I don't have a job at the moment, but when I can I'm getting an external HDD!

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gotcha. Well, I hope this problem is resolved. I would also suggest that you get the WODE, so to get every feature of games. You can't play Metroid Prime Trilogy's game 2 multiplayer using USB Loader GX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5