My TTDS is messed up

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by spasticking, Jun 30, 2009.

Jun 30, 2009

My TTDS is messed up by spasticking at 10:13 AM (3,547 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. spasticking
    OP

Newcomer spasticking Newbie

United States
    ok so i have a TTDS and i got chinatown wars and it didn't work on my card. I got the rom from a random download site because i needed it fast, and it came with all of these external files and un needed stuff, so i deleted everything but the rom itself. i tried the rom and it had the same problem everyone else's has had where it freezes after you start a new game. so I heard of ways to fix and and tried them, i got the new firmware update for TTDS (1.17) i put it on my ds, and chinatown wars still didn't work (i replaced the old menu files,ect, with the new ones) I also read about putting the cheat database (.DAT file) with the menu files as i was told too, and put the cheat database for chinatown wars (.ARP file) with the chinatown wars rom. after i did this Grand theft auto: chinatown wars worked! the next time i played it i realised my TTDS froze upon startup, but after a couple tries it would work again, then a few days later it wouldn't start at all becaue it kept freezing. so i took all of the files I put on, off of my ds card, except for the firmware update because i deleted the old files and my card doesn't work without them. and my TTDS card still won't work...
    soo.... what i'm asking is;
    "Is this a common problem? how can i fix it? and what's wrong?"

Thankyou in advance and i apologize if this question has already been answered and I'm asking about something easy to fix.

2. bl00dclaat

Newcomer bl00dclaat Member

Jamaica
    The official firmware for my DSTT also crapped out months ago. I thought my cart was dead but I installed YSmenu & Moonshell 2 and they worked. So DSTT firmware sucks I guess. Anyway theres a tutorial at the link below that show you how to set them up. I just launch roms from moonshell 2 with this setup but if you need to use codes (like with GTA) you'll have to launch it from YSmenu.

YSmenu + Moonshel2 Tutorial:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149734

3. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    It reminds me of my own story. That happened to me too, but in about 2 hours after buying and installing the files on the Micro SD. Then, I tried reformatting, it, and it worked again.

But, I would also recommend going with an alternative Firmware.

4. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    for cheat database

download usrcheat.dat from cheats.gbatemp.net
    put it into ttmenu (folder)
    replace any old usrcheat.dat with the new one (if any)

you don't need to put any .arp (it will be generated once you activate codes and etc)

for GTA
    just make sure backup enabler code is TICKED
    otherwise, you will see double black screen

5. spasticking
    OP

United States
    thanks for the help i'll give it a go

6. elixirdream

Malaysia
    if it so messy as you speak

just remember FORMAT your microsd card with the panasonic formatter
    after that try either firmware 1.17 or ysmenu

7. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It's possible that you have a fake DSTT, and that you destroyed it with the official firmware which contains fake-killer code. You may want to read through the FAQ and follow the directions under "My DSTT used to work, but doesn't work any more. What do I do?" If you suspect that yours is fake and you ran the fake-killer firmware on it, you can use DsttFlashWriter to fix it.

-Bri

8. Davess

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    mine too!

9. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States

He should get banned.

10. spasticking
    OP

United States
    ok i'll see if mine's a fake, and also if i fix my ds, will i still be able to play chinatown wars along with the cheat databases i added? or will that just screw up my ds again?

11. k3vin369

Newcomer k3vin369 Advanced Member

Canada
    If you mean your DSTT loading bar at the bottom freezes after clicking the game; then you should try the following:
    1) Backup all your games and data on your microSD.
    2) Reformat your microSD (Either Panasonic SD Formatter, or Windows Formatter)
    3) Place all your data and games back onto your microSD
    4) Have fun!

Some people say Windows Formatter is bad, because it will corrupt your microSD, but I have used it over 5 times for several reasons, and I have never encountered a problem with my microSD corrupting.

And yes, this problem is pretty common with the default menu of the DSTT. As some people have posted, try replacing your firmware with Moonshell2+YSMenu, or DSision2. Keep in mind DSision2 only works with microSD cards, not microSDHC cards.

12. Bri

United States
    I doubt that Chinatown Wars actually screwed up your DS.

-Bri

13. spasticking
    OP

United States
    @ bri- well the thing is i was trying to download it from @#$% but the download servers are down and i needed that rom really quickly, so i did a search for the rom and one of the most convenient place i got it from was in a different language or something and was quite strange, and the download file had the actual rom, plus about 2 other folders that contained text/config files ect. so i put that on my rom anyway, but the game froze after i started a new game (the same thing that happened to everyone else who got the game on their TTDS) and i heard getting the new firmware update would work, so i replaced the old files with the new ones in the firmware package... and at this time i didn't know about the fake killer TTMENU.DAT because i didn't buy and set up my card, a friend did. and i think my TTDS is a fake, but i only found out recently by looking at the slot, because i can't run the checker programs because when i start my card it won't even make it to the menu because it freezes when it displays the nintendo ds startup screen. chinatown wars still didn't work so i put on the cheat database , then the game worked.
    i tried doing all of the above suggestions, but it still froze upon startup. so i tried seting up my ds from the very start as if it was brand new, i formatted it added all of the needed files, but it still didn't work.

so i'm geussing that my card was destroyed because it is fake, or that the rom or some other add-on has totally corrupted my TTDS.
    so i think i'm just going to return it, send it back, or just get a new one, because i'm getting a dsi soon anyway.

14. Akiyo

Member Akiyo GBAtemp Regular

Japan
    Leave the romsite out, man. The rules.

15. elixirdream

Malaysia
    Next time just report to the mods [​IMG]
    reporting to mods

16. Bri

United States
    I agree -- it sounds like your flash cart may have been destroyed by the fake-killer firmware. You can use DsttFlashWriter to fix it, although if you can't get it to reboot you'll need a second flash cart to do it. Some have reported that their destroyed DSTT will boot up once in about 50 tries, so if you're persistent you may be able to restore it. You only need it to boot up once to restore it as long as you have DsttFlashWriter (and the data file) on your microSD card.

-Bri

17. Davess

Member Davess On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)

Canada
    why it happened to me now i have to use ysmenu and i hate it!

and jakob95 take a chill pill

18. spasticking
    OP

United States
    ok bri i'll give it a go, but before i sat there trying to boot it for like and hour.

19. Bri

United States
    If you can't get it to boot, your only option is to find someone with a working flash cart to run DsttFlashWriter (you then switch to the non-working DSTT before restoring). Or just return yours to wherever you bought it for a new one -- if it's fake you're entitled to a real one anyway.

-Bri

20. spasticking
    OP

United States
    ok thanks for all the help, I having trouble making mine boot so i'm just gonna return it or whatever.