My thoughts on rxtools, tinyformat and SysUpdater

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by coon-strudel, Jan 5, 2016.

1. coon-strudel
    OP

coon-strudel That one weird Furry Artist

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    I'm gonna say this now. They're the best things I've come across.

I was banned from the eshop about 2 years ago. My credit card account was hacked and Nintendo blamed the emergency charge-backs on me. they to this day, wont help me get un-banned. I waited a long time for someone to finally create an exploit that can erase an ID from a blocked 3DS.

I was able to start over, and finally play games again. I'm still banned from the eshop somehow, even though I'm under a new NINID, and email. But that didn't stop me. I can update with ease, via FBI.
    everything is perfect now. I can play against others online, not have to worry about updates from now on, and have the whole thing lifted from my shoulders.

The friends and family I have, are online, all over the world...so playing the 3DS is one of the only passtimes we have together. It means a lot. So thank you to everyone that was involved!

Now, I have a few nitpicks and head-scratchers.

1. rxtools has been out for a while, and the majority of cias I've found are not compatible with the FBI. I can't find any working pokemon X/Y ORAS or Super Smash Bros files. And some games just aren't there at all.

2. I really need to upgrade to a bigger SD card. I had no idea installing the exploit to it would cut down most of it's memory. Aaaand I'm pretty sure it stays that way, even if you format it via PC. I've tried using another SD card, which has 12 GB more space, and it got cut down to 6 GB. Worse of all, I can't find out how to make it boot to the emuNAND. both emu and sys NANDS are green, but it loads back up to my sys NAND, no matter what option I choose.

Thats pretty much all I can really fuss about. Its still amazing nonetheless. :)

(Help would be appreciated, if you have the time)

2. Yangarang

Yangarang GBAtemp Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Australia
    Instead of FBI, install a cia of BigBlueMenu (easily found by googling) using FBI, then use BigBlueMenu as your cia manager

3. Syphurith

Syphurith Beginner

Mar 8, 2013
    Switzerland
    Xi'an, Shaanxi Province
    Sorry to bother but could you please tell me how do you feel that's incompatible? Did you create the .db files on SD manually and let 3DS fix those up?
    Eh.. I would say, SD fakes are many.. You should do the steps in tutorials to complete transfer the data a SD card.
    1.Format the new card with SDFormatter. Backup the EmuNAND using MultiNandCreator/EmuNANDTool if there is any....
    And then just stick the new card, format/create a EmuNAND partition with tools (GW/EmuNAND9, or MultiNandCreator), and restore that in.
    2.If you have not ever created EmuNAND before, You have 2 options for creating the EmuNAND. Stick the new card.
    A: Use GW so launcher.dat and gw.3dsx/go.gateway-3ds.com. Only the launcher.dat would be left.
    B: Use @d0k3 's EmuNAND9 to dump/create the EmuNAND for you. It would also setup a minimal HBL setup.
    3.After that's all done, copy your stuffs from old card to new card.
    That's quite simple and I've changed a 4GB card to 64GB. It is said even there is guys using 256GB card (WTF).
    Hope you have your good days with games/hacking.

4. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    I've tried that out, but I didn't understand how things worked. My titles were in number format and I couldn't tell which was which.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks, I'm going through the process right now. I'm on step 3 right now, so I'll give my results shortly. :)

Oh and, you know how when you can get Errors while installing cia? Well, that's what I meant. Certain Cia files don't install correctly. Triforce Heroes was unique. Instead of giving me an error right away, it tried to install, but around 80% it error'ed on me.

5. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Still no luck with the SD upgrade I'm afraid.
    What would happen if I tried launching rxmode on sysNAND?

6. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    thats how the system sees them when they are installed use this link if ever you need to compare
    3DS Releases
    to get to a list of your sd card contents in bbm press right on the d-pad once
    then you would load your systems real fw with rxtools patches (not the ideal place to install things)
    btw i think they are just bad cia files/incomplete downloads try to get them from another site/page

7. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Would it still be safe?

I may not have upgraded my SD successfully, but now when i'm using my old card, the titles aren't wrapped each time I boot into rxmode lol. So that's a win.

8. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    to install cias to sysnand?
    only if they work . . . if you fuck up sysnand you fuck up your system
    emunand is the relatively safe place that is the reason why you made it in the first place

9. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Okay, I'll stick with emuNAND. :) Thank you

Sorry about all the questions.

Is there any way that I can save my software to my 3DS' memory, instead of the SD card?
    I thought that was a thing, but I could be thinking of the Wii.

10. Syphurith

Syphurith Beginner

Mar 8, 2013
    Switzerland
    Xi'an, Shaanxi Province
    Once you can get into BBM/FBI, it provides you a good environment where signature checks are patched.
    So the only reason why it can not install may be your CIA files or SD card.
    Oh no. Only GBAVC, DSiWare and System Titles can be installed to NAND storage.
    All your 3ds games/apps must be in SD card, else you only get a black square for those and certainly that would not run properly.

11. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Oooh, okay, thanks again :)

12. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    This is the error I got from trying to install Triforce heroes, which is only 800+ MB, and my SD having more than enough space. (word per word)

Install failed!
    The Ledgend of Zelda - Triforce Heroes.ci...
    Source: SOURCE_APP WRITE CIA (0x6)
    Module: MODULE_NN_AM (0x1c)
    Summary: SUMMARY_INVALID_ARGUMENT (0x7)
    Description: DESCRIPTION_MISALIGNED_SIZE (0x03f2)
    Press Start to continue.

(It actually tried installing and made progress before it had an error)

13. coon-strudel
    OP

Apr 21, 2015
    United States
    My own little world
    Is it safe to create Save-Data Backup when deleting a game via emuNAND System Settings?