PS1/2 My replacement PS2 laser seems like it's not working.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
I have just put in a BRAND new laser directly from ebay. I plugged it in and mounted it according to this tutorial but the laser doesn't seem to be working. It does go upwards and downwards and has control over the sled to go wherever it wants but it doesn't emit light. i saw that there's two dials on the backside of the laser and i haven't touched them at all. See the two videos of trying to boot a burned game and a legit (Blue cd) game.

Trying to boot burned game and showing the laser in action.

Trying to boot a legit game.

I was so pumped to play until this happened...

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
I've pulled apart the ps2 three times. 1. Check to make sure the screws and cables were attached properly, 2. Change the dials on the back 3. Check cables again.

Nothing happens. it goes forward, flicks up and down a couple of times and reports that there's no disc in the drive.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Did you remove the anti-static solder bridge that is on the laser before installing? Laser won't work if it's still in place.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hold on. What? I have the "PVR-802W" laser. where is this bridge you're talking about? i don't have a soldering iron if that makes a difference.

You can see it in that video, I think that's the 802 (not that it matters, all models have a static point, just in different places). Laser won't work unless you clear the solder bridge. Some sellers ship with it already removed, most don't.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden

You can see it in that video, I think that's the 802 (not that it matters, all models have a static point, just in different places). Laser won't work unless you clear the solder bridge. Some sellers ship with it already removed, most don't.

Is it this little blob? How do i melt it off without a soldering iron? could i heat up a paperclip with a lighter?
zymA0zr.jpg

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't have any money for soldering equipment for the time being. Can i get something i have at home to use instead? I wanna play ps2, like. RIGHT NOW.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bump?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really. You can heat a paper clip to a temp to melt solder no problem, but the blob covers three small pads. Without a proper iron, you are unlikely to be able to clear it without damaging the pads & ribbon cable.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
I. MANADGED. TO. DESOLDER. WITH. A. FUCKING. LIGHTER.

https://imgur.com/a/y5bnR

It launched STRAIGHT into ESR. This is fucking amazing. I'm not even kidding.

I'm literally shaking cause this worked.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
Wow man that is insane for reals. So does it work now?
Yes, like i said, it works flawlessly. I put in a burned copy of ratchet and clank, the ps2 made a spinning noise while booting into fmcb, but headed straight into ESR with the message "PS2DVD In Tray". So, my ingenious plan worked. ...For some reason.

Storytime:
I attached the paperclip to the lighter with tape, heated up the paperclip and touched the solder to it and i saw it move. I was like "Fuck yeah" and then it fully loosened. Then i put it back together.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, like i said, it works flawlessly. I put in a burned copy of ratchet and clank, the ps2 made a spinning noise while booting into fmcb, but headed straight into ESR with the message "PS2DVD In Tray". So, my ingenious plan worked. ...For some reason.

Storytime:
I attached the paperclip to the lighter with tape, heated up the paperclip and touched the solder to it and i saw it move. I was like "Fuck yeah" and then it fully loosened. Then i put it back together.
That's good to know in case anyone else ever has this issue.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Det var inte ens svårt. När jag väl kom på tekniken så rörde jag på löden så den blev soppa och skopade ner den i bjudlocket på mitt snus.
English rules

I know pretty well that you can desoilder stuff by just heating them up, that's why the "oven trick" works with graphiccards etc. But it's just temp, in your case you wanted to "destroy" something, so it's easier. But it's still not recommended without an actual solder iron.

PotatisKnug

OP
Trophies
Website
thomas.dusbite.se
XP
Country
Sweden
English rules

I know pretty well that you can desoilder stuff by just heating them up, that's why the "oven trick" works with graphiccards etc. But it's just temp, in your case you wanted to "destroy" something, so it's easier. But it's still not recommended without an actual solder iron.
I mean, i guess that's true, but the paperclip iron is pretty useful.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    StatusN @ StatusN: does anyone have a friend seed link to a seed that isnt already banned and is new, if anyone...