PS1/2 my ps2's lazer has gone...

Kyuzumaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my PS2 has stopped loading DVD games it will still load cd games fine. I've heard you can mod ps2's to run from a hard drive just wandering if i could rip my ps2 games and then put them on a hrad drive so i can still play. I really don't want to have to buy a second console. Have researched a replacment laser but they cost £50 and you can get a ps2 on ebay for that price.

The drive has already destroyed FFX and DOA2 for some reason it pushed the laser right into the disc
frown.gif

I have a few old IDE hard drives lying around so I could ues one of those to try it out

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
I heard that on old PS2s, its simply a matter of tightening a screw on the laser to bring it back into focus or sumthin? Why not try that.

As long as its not a slim PS2 you can run games off the HD fine, faster load times too I hear.

Edit: No idea about the IDE drives though, was under the impression you'd need the PS2 specific one (feel free to correct me if im wrong anyone)

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are a couple of things you can try, you can adjust the Radial Skew which is a cog that adjusts the height of the lens and if you don't have much luck with that you can try adjusting the DVD-POT, a small screw that adjusts the strength of the laser.

http://www.cyber-mag.com/station/laserPS2.htm

I bought a broken PS2 a while back that wouldn't play any games but managed to get it to read CDs by adjusting the Radial Skew and then got it to work with DVDs by raising the DVD-POT level. It's stopped reading DVDs again now though and further POT adjustments aren't helping so maybe it was on it's way out. =/

If you want to run games from a hard drive you will need a Network Adaptor and HD Loader/Advance boot disc. You can rip games to a hard drive from a PC. On a side note some games are incompatible with the HD Loader/Advance so it's worth a look at the compatibility list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Loader

smile.gif

Kyuzumaki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i had a look at the network adapters they cost quite a bit but they are less than a new laser........

I read through the info but i'm not totally clear to i need to chip my ps2 or will it work with a HDD and correct software??

SeanoRLY?

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'd be best to just replace the laser to be honest, unless you don't get annoyed by the feeling that it's "broke" and you know you can fix it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Btw it seems like the user dtapple disabled others posting on their profile, either they are...