1. Natethekidrs00
    OP

Natethekidrs00 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    So while digging through my old room from childhood I found a computer in my closest from what my father says it won't do anything past the light and fan starting because of a power outage could you help me get it up and running I currently don't have a monitor to test with but maybe you could give me some support. It is a emachine t6520 built for win xp

Last edited by Natethekidrs00, Jun 6, 2016
  2. Natethekidrs00
    OP

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    I suspect it's the PSA I need to replace but I'm waiting to get a monitor to test it first

3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips a seldom-used crab named Lucky

Mar 10, 2015
    United States
    I'd try replacing the PSU first and see if that is broke, if not one of the components inside may be fried. Also if you have a TV you could see if it has a VGA slot so you could connect it to your TV until you get a monitor

4. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    If you're confident enough, take the computer apart part by part and possibly clean it, put it all together and troubleshoot the components that might be giving trouble

5. Natethekidrs00
    OP

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    Im gonna do a psu replacement then take it to a PC shop

6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    If the lights and fans turn on it's probs not the PSU. That sounds like a motherboard shortage

CitizenSnips likes this.
  7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It's most likely motherboard (if it turns off straight away) or graphics (if it stays on). Just the fact that the fans and lights go on means the PSU is still able to send enough power.

In the past whenever this happened, I would strip it down to the minimum hardware needed to run (motherboard, 1 stick of RAM, integrated graphics (or graphics card if there is none), no drives... and see if that runs. If not, swap the RAM stick for the other one and try a different slot. If it does work and gets me into BIOS, I would start adding parts back one by one (RAM sticks, graphics, drives, etc) until I found what stopped it working. More often than not, everything would just work anyway (meaning all it needed was re-seating the components to clear any dirt or static).

TotalInsanity4 likes this.