Gaming My new setup plans

Lockon Stratos

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've been meaning to sell my crappy laptop and desktop pc to buy parts for a gaming pc. I also own a xbox 360 so I want to put this into the setup.

What I'm planning on doing is getting x2 22" monitors/ tv's. I would connect my desktop to 1 and xbox to the other. I would place them next to each other but I was also thinking that when I'm not using my xbox if it would be possible to make my desktop a dual screen. But I also want for it to be accessible so I don't have to keep changing wires around every time I switch between entertainment systems.

So what I'm mainly wondering is how would I do this? What would I need?
I'm pretty sure that it's almost definitely possible but I'm not sure how, hence me being here asking the question, hehe.
Thanks.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
To make it possible, you only need to make sure that one of the monitors has HDMI and VGA (and/or DVI). If it does, it will certainly have a button/remote control/both to allow you to switch between inputs. Alternatively, get a monitor that has composite/component input along with VGA/DVI/HDMI. Once you have that, you can configure the computer to dual monitor display.

My setup has a 22" monitor-TV with aerial, composite, component, VGA, DVI, 2x HDMI and SCART, with a 19" monitor (VGA and HDMI) acting as secondary. I've connected the main monitor via HDMI (the other connections are occupied by PS3, 360, Wii and Xbox1, with a spare HDMI cable for my laptop if I want) and the secondary monitor via DVI (with a spare VGA cable for my other laptop if I want).

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the largest monitors offer Picture-in-Picture (a client of mine got an ASUS 27" that has PIP from multi-input support) but they still cost a bit more than two lower budget monitors.

Why is it that you want a dual monitor setup on the PC itself? Just wondering, because I got a somewhat bigger monitor and tend to play games in windowed mode. I doubt I am losing much performance over a multiple monitor setup with the Radeon 6950 I've got. (With many games I've played, you must use windowed or windowed fullscreen modes with multiple display setups anyway).

edit: to add, if you get a larger multi-input monitor your console games don't necessarily have to interfere with your ability to use the PC, but you have to switch inputs in order to go back to your desktop. but I used to use KVM switches long before multi input displays became so commonplace and this idea doesn't deter me at all. it lets me spend more money on one monitor than i'd be investing in two individual ones.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Even though the question wasn't directed at me, I'll still answer. I use two monitors because of functionality. By extension, I use four screens (plus iPad) for extreme functionality. Since I only ever play one game at a time, that's what my main monitor is for - my primary focus. Even web browsing I do fullscreen on that monitor. The secondary monitor is for secondary functions, such as IM apps, music, extra web browsing (e.g. Referencing) or using maps/guides whilst playing games on the main monitor. When I use laptops, I relegate IMs and music to them, since that makes multitasking easier. I also use my iPad either for additional browsing (since, to me, 5 screens is still acceptable for doing research) or for more tactile functions (e.g. Drawing up mind maps, which would take far more effort on PC than iPad).

Sometimes it's a pain having to always switch between HDMI (PC/PS3) and composite/component (360/Wii) inputs, but it would be a bigger pain having to keep plugging and unplugging the wires so I don't mind my frequent usage of the remote control.

To add, I've never liked PIP. Most implementations of it I've come across make it far too small to be worth using whilst playing games or watching TV on the monitor.

Off topic: nice pic, exangel. I should really get round to putting my feather back, or finding someone to draw a furvatar for me.

Lockon Stratos

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the advice guys, I was considering a dual-screen monitor for when I'm just using the desktop and for functionality, as does Originality. I don't really mind if I had a single screen really I just thought it would be more convenient when I'm using xbox and desktop simultaneously to see them seperately instead of having to change. I might consider your method exangel since it seems quite feasible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Someone has to delete Leo's thread to make him angry +2