My new R4i RTS a dud?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by fuze9, Jul 21, 2009.

Jul 21, 2009

My new R4i RTS a dud? by fuze9 at 4:37 AM (891 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. fuze9
    OP

Newcomer fuze9 Advanced Member

United States
    So, I just got my brand new R4i RTS in the mail from Gamezway today, figuring it'd be a safe bet given all of this site's referrals. However, upon trying no less than 3 freshly-formatted MicroSD cards and 3 different R4 firmware revisions, I can't get the thing to appear whatsoever in my DSi. It certainly won't boot up automatically like the old R4's would, and it doesn't show up in the menu. I'm wondering what in the world I can do or if there's anything I'm neglecting to try.

I'm on a Macbook, so any fancy DLDI patching is a little out of my hands at the moment, but I'm happy to try whatever I can. Still, I'm feeling like this card's just a dud. It feels pretty cheap, and the bottom of it (the last bit of plastic near the exposed green chip) even looks a tad warped. It arrived from Hong Kong, which, truth be told, leaves me a little disconcerted, as I don't think I've ever gotten anything from China that actually works like it should. Here I was hoping this quasi-official model would be a breath of fresh air from the wave of crappy R4 clones, but at the moment, I'm out of luck.

Please let me know what you guys think. For reference, here's the link from which I ordered it.

http://www.gamezway.com/in-stock-r4i-rtsre...dsi_p16874.html

2. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I'd recommend that you stay away from anything that says R4 on it. Go for a better card, like the AK2 or M3i.

3. fuze9
    OP

Newcomer fuze9 Advanced Member

United States
    Oh, at this point, I wholeheartedly agree. Seeing it on the front page of this site, however, had gotten my hopes up for a chance of redemption. But if I imagine if I can't figure anything out, I'll try getting a refund and picking up an AK2.

4. TrolleyDave

Former Staff TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

United Kingdom
    It could be a contact problem, try shoving a piece of paper into it on the bottom side of slot. If that does't work then it's a dead card. If it's a contact problem then I'd still say get a refund but you've got the option of keeping it and doing the paper trick.