Gaming My New Computer!

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The nVidia 9800GT is a good choice. For its time it was one of the better graphics cards, and the later iterations in the GTX series used the same architecture only with a smaller process (to produce less heat and use less energy). You'll probably be able to play games much better using it.

Of course, the GTX 460 or the ATI HD5770 would be better, but they cost a lot more.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The 9800 IS a 8800 rebranded with a smaller process. Just like the GTX series, it uses the same architecture, just less power and less heat.

But yes, I already said that a better PSU would be needed - look for something around 400W or more.

For reference, the ATI HD4870 uses around 40-160W. The 9800 probably uses less power, but I'm too lazy to look for the exact amount.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
For reference, the ATI HD4870 uses around 40-160W.
thats at idle
which is rather pointless to go by since it uses almost 300w by its self when you are playing a game

but the 9800GT isnt much better
uses about 270w on load, 190w on idle

any way you look at it you are going to need in the range of a 450w or so

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it has an open PCI express slot, you could buy a real video card and bypass the onboard video for an instant speed boost. But to do that, you would also want to look into upgrading the PSU.

On a bang-for-the-buck ratio, it looks like a decent "instant setup" though. Not the most powerful, no, but plenty enough to get games going on it. The price was pretty good for what you get in the rig.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk