My left Joycon stopped working in multiplayer mode

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by NegaBBB, Oct 20, 2019.

1. NegaBBB
    OP

NegaBBB Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2015
    Slovenia
    Hello,

today me and my gf played on switch then we switched games (running SX OS), we tried playing MK8 but my left Joycon works only in handheld mode (sl ans sr buttons stopped working). Is it a hardware problem or did my Joycon buttons die? Thanks for all the answers :).

2. SmokeyWubs

SmokeyWubs Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I had the same issue with my right joycon. Took it apart and found that the ribbon cable that connects the SL and SR buttons to the main board was bent over itself causing a crease and had almost snapped in half. Terrible design/cable management. Anyway, I managed to fix it by cushioning the crease with a combination of sticky tape and cotton wool.
    My MacGyver fix might not work if the damage to the ribbon cable is too severe, but replacements can be bought online for around $10 if that's the case.

Here's a vid showing how to disassemble the joycon and replace the ribbon cable. Good luck.

Last edited by SmokeyWubs, Oct 21, 2019
    NegaBBB likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The ribbon cable might just have come slightly loose in the connector. Not hard to open it up and check if there's any damage or the cable is loose.
    My cousin's left JoyCon had non working LEDs and buttons on the edge, I had it opened and couldn't see any damage to the ribbon cable, unplugging and replugging it did little, and the pins looked clean, but when the cable was straight and not folded over like it is when closed up, the LEDs did light up, so I came to the conclusion that it must be a damaged connector that was resulting in poor contact. I think when he last sent it in for repair (stick drift) they did a poor job putting it back together and damaged the connector in the process. I didn't have a microscope or anything like that to look at the connector closely so I can't be sure. But anyway, he's gonna have to send it in again I guess.
    That should not happen with a never opened JoyCon though so there shouldn't be any damage to yours.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Oct 21, 2019
    NegaBBB likes this.
  4. Only1chance

Only1chance Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 7, 2018
    Costa Rica
    Yep, ^^ That's your issue. Had the same issue with a broken ribbon cable.

NegaBBB likes this.
  5. NegaBBB
    OP

NegaBBB Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2015
    Slovenia
    Thanks again for all your answers going to open up my joycon thank you all so much for helping me out . Have a great day .

6. BeckyWTGH

BeckyWTGH Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2019
    United States
    Cotton wool? isn't that a bit unsafe. What's the heat transfer like in there. Wouldn't want it to get too hot and go poof. I have had these problems with computers and just replaced the cables. Now i suppose with the joycon a replacement cable might be a bit hard to find or a bit hard to swap have yet to open one up.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted