NegaBBB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Hello,

today me and my gf played on switch then we switched games (running SX OS), we tried playing MK8 but my left Joycon works only in handheld mode (sl ans sr buttons stopped working). Is it a hardware problem or did my Joycon buttons die? Thanks for all the answers :).

SmokeyWubs

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had the same issue with my right joycon. Took it apart and found that the ribbon cable that connects the SL and SR buttons to the main board was bent over itself causing a crease and had almost snapped in half. Terrible design/cable management. Anyway, I managed to fix it by cushioning the crease with a combination of sticky tape and cotton wool.
My MacGyver fix might not work if the damage to the ribbon cable is too severe, but replacements can be bought online for around $10 if that's the case.

Here's a vid showing how to disassemble the joycon and replace the ribbon cable. Good luck.

Last edited by SmokeyWubs,
Reactions: NegaBBB

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello,

today me and my gf played on switch then we switched games (running SX OS), we tried playing MK8 but my left Joycon works only in handheld mode (sl ans sr buttons stopped working). Is it a hardware problem or did my Joycon buttons die? Thanks for all the answers :).
The ribbon cable might just have come slightly loose in the connector. Not hard to open it up and check if there's any damage or the cable is loose.
My cousin's left JoyCon had non working LEDs and buttons on the edge, I had it opened and couldn't see any damage to the ribbon cable, unplugging and replugging it did little, and the pins looked clean, but when the cable was straight and not folded over like it is when closed up, the LEDs did light up, so I came to the conclusion that it must be a damaged connector that was resulting in poor contact. I think when he last sent it in for repair (stick drift) they did a poor job putting it back together and damaged the connector in the process. I didn't have a microscope or anything like that to look at the connector closely so I can't be sure. But anyway, he's gonna have to send it in again I guess.
That should not happen with a never opened JoyCon though so there shouldn't be any damage to yours.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: NegaBBB

NegaBBB

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Thanks again for all your answers going to open up my joycon thank you all so much for helping me out . Have a great day .

BeckyWTGH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same issue with my right joycon. Took it apart and found that the ribbon cable that connects the SL and SR buttons to the main board was bent over itself causing a crease and had almost snapped in half. Terrible design/cable management. Anyway, I managed to fix it by cushioning the crease with a combination of sticky tape and cotton wool.
My MacGyver fix might not work if the damage to the ribbon cable is too severe, but replacements can be bought online for around $10 if that's the case.

Here's a vid showing how to disassemble the joycon and replace the ribbon cable. Good luck.

Cotton wool? isn't that a bit unsafe. What's the heat transfer like in there. Wouldn't want it to get too hot and go poof. I have had these problems with computers and just replaced the cables. Now i suppose with the joycon a replacement cable might be a bit hard to find or a bit hard to swap have yet to open one up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM