Hacking My games freeze when I play them

Chrissstopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my DSTT today with a 2GB Sandisk MicroSD card. I loaded a few games onto it just to find that Only Tetris DS works properly. Whenever I play another game, it always freezes on me.

Is this due to memory? Or is there something else wrong?

Aleatz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
aleatz.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Aleatz said:
Freezing problem: Sounds like you need to reformat your card. Here's a tutorial on Youtube which goes step by step
smile.gif
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VUfFyr9Q0QA

Hehe Moo

Moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
*sigh* Relax. You don't need to go on YouTube for that. Just copy all your games, files, etc. onto another folder on your desktop. Reformat your microSD card [ just right click and click "Format.." then tick the "quick format" box and press ok ]. Then copy and paste the stuff on your desktop back onto it, and presto. It should work. The stupid TT does this all the time to me. Does anyone have a 100% conclusion as to why it does this?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are your games in a "games" folder rather than on the root of your microSD card?

Is there plenty of space on your microSD card for save files?

Do you use the "safely remove hardware" utility before removing your microSD card from your PC?

-Bri

Chrissstopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hehe Moo and Bri, I've done those things and made sure that everything is right. I have a "Games" folder, I click safely remove hardware, and I've formatted my card before. Yet for some reason I still can't get it to stop freezing. I've managed to get Prof. Layton to work with little to no freezing, but games like FFIV continue to freeze. Could it be because I've only got 2gb worth of space? Could I just buy a 4gb or 8gb SanDisk MicroSD and end up getting all these problems fixed?

Also, I reformatted my card to FAT32. Good y/n?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAT16 is best for smaller microSD cards. You should probably use the Panasonic formatter rather than the built-in Windows format.

I have a 2GB card myself, and can tell you that it works just fine. You don't have to leave anywhere near 1GB free, but you do need some free space for save files. I can fit about 30 games on mine (it depends on the size of the games).

You may have a bad card reader, a bad microSD card, or even a bad DSTT. If you have access to a different card reader or microSD card, try them and see if it makes any difference.

-Bri

Chrissstopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Holy crap 30 games? I only have Still Alive, Tetris DS, FFIV, Prof. Layton and the Curious Village, and N+. N+, Tetris, and Still Alive work fine. Prof. Layton freezes occasionally, and I can almost never get FFIV to work for more than 5 minutes without it freezing.

I'll reformat it to FAT16 though and see if I can't get it to work for me.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Use the Panasonic formatter. Some have claimed that when they used the Panasonic formatter rather than the one built into Windows it solved their problems. I think I may have formatted my microSD card once since I've had it.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you have another microSD card or another microSD card reader that you could try to eliminate those as possible problems?

-Bri

Chrissstopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not at the moment. I just got this yesterday as a present and I have yet to eliminate the possibility of it being the reader and/or MicroSD. I'm gonna try and pick one up tomorrow though. Which one should I get?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Almost any reader will do. There's a nifty Kingston one that a lot of people like: http://www.meritline.com/kingston-mobillite-card-reader.html

As far as a 2GB microSD card, 2GB Japanese Kingston is good. If you're going with a larger microSDHC card, make sure it's a class 6. A lot of people like this A-Data one here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211196

Keep in mind that it's possible that you have a faulty DSTT, in which case you'll need to return it to wherever it was bought. By the way, have you confirmed that it's a real DSTT and not a fake? Check here: http://www.ndstt.com/en/anti_fake.html

If it's a fake, you'll want to return it for a real one regardless, because future firmware updates may destroy it.

-Bri

Chrissstopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSTT I've got came in a box, but from the diagrams shown the actual DSTT itself looks real.
I'm going to buy that card reader and the Kingston 4gb Class 6 MicroSD tomorrow(hopefully) and try it again. If it ends up failing me yet again, I'm guessing it's a fake.

I'll keep at it and try to make it work, but if not I'll just have to go with something else. A friend of mine has a cousin that can get me an R4 for cheap, though I heard that there are some speculations around those having tons of fakes too. :/

cepheus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yep the majority of new R4 cards out there are fake.

If nothing works, try using an older firmware or something like the YSmenu.

I keep hearing about frozen games and I am using a DSTT as well so I am getting worried now. Report back on how things go with yours.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are real DSTT's that come in a box too. So if it looks like the real pictures, it's probably real. Still, it could be a faulty DSTT. If all else fails, return it for a new one.

Or if you want a better flash cart, get an Acekard 2. It's around $13 from dealextreme.com and is better than the DSTT.

-Bri

Chrissstopher

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I can't get the DSTT to work for me, a friend is willing to buy me the Acekard 2. I'm guessing that after that, all should be good. Thanks a lot for your help Bri. You've cleared up a lot for me.

Dwight

Gawb. Gawb Bluth.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrissstopher said:
If I can't get the DSTT to work for me, a friend is willing to buy me the Acekard 2. I'm guessing that after that, all should be good. Thanks a lot for your help Bri. You've cleared up a lot for me.
Aww I love you too Chris

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The update actually made zoom better