Hacking My DSL hinge broke

n8equalsd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. So i have an idea where I want to get the case, but I'm wondering if there are cases that don't fit the DSL?

2. I know my way around tools, but how hard do you think in your opinion will it be to replace the housing? Do i need special tools (like a tri-wing screwdriver)?

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
n8equalsd said:
1. So i have an idea where I want to get the case, but I'm wondering if there are cases that don't fit the DSL?

2. I know my way around tools, but how hard do you think in your opinion will it be to replace the housing? Do i need special tools (like a tri-wing screwdriver?)
1 tri-wing screwdriver
2a dsl casing
3 a few other screwdrivers then your done

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ars25 said:
n8equalsd said:

2. I know my way around tools, but how hard do you think in your opinion will it be to replace the housing? Do i need special tools (like a tri-wing screwdriver?)
1 tri-wing screwdriver
2a dsl casing
You make it sound so simple lol. You forgot the fact that if you mess up you can end up breaking your ds. If its your first time replacing the housing, take your time and don't rush it.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefreak94 said:
ars25 said:
n8equalsd said:

1 tri-wing screwdriver
2a dsl casing
You make it sound so simple lol. You forgot the fact that if you mess up you can end up breaking your ds. If its your first time replacing the housing, take your time and don't rush it.
lol simple is my middle name

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would pick up any required tools from dealextreme.com. I got my housing and triwing screwdriver from there, the housing works fine (though my top screen only works when clicked to the first click. not the housings fault, i prbly damaged the ribbon cable). However, the housing fits perfectly (except the d-pad is a little loose... I can't figure out why...).

and the triwing works like a charm. I take it that youve seen the sticky on how to replace the housing?

EDIT - only downside to DX is that they are stationed in hong kong... prices are very good, along with free shipping, but it can take around 3 weeks to ship to USA...

Skv0ra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stevetry said:
carefull you could brake the ds ribbon cable

Yea, no kidding. I'd gladly break the hands of DSL's hardware designer and do very bad things to him afterward...

Else get a nice new housing and tools from DX and grab a few of those clicky hinge pieces for future.

joybeba6679

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know you, but its a bad idea to do that, just call nintendo and tell them your hinge broke, they should replace it since its a known problem since ds lites.

But in case you are as stubborn as I was with my ds lite then I suggest you buy good quality replacement parts, watch a video tutorial on how to open it and how to replace things oh and be VERY careful about the top screen ribbon, they break pretty easily. Oh and also, careful with the touch screen very small connector, it breaks easily too.

My poor ds lite is doomed to die, after a zelda full housing cuz of a hinge broken, a faulty top screen and not knowing how easy things break its lying around waiting to die patiently. If u still want to change the housing your self just ask some technician to help you and pay the $ 25 he will prolly ask for it.. Good luck, ull need it....

Skv0ra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
joybeba6679 said:
But in case you are as stubborn as I was with my ds lite then I suggest you buy good quality replacement parts, watch a video tutorial on how to open it and how to replace things oh and be VERY careful about the top screen ribbon, they break pretty easily. Oh and also, careful with the touch screen very small connector, it breaks easily too.

That's really about it. All of these things (hardware dissections) are just careful monkey work and I believe anyone can do it if you know how to follow millions of tutorials available. I don't think Nintendo will replace for free/cheaper than you'd fix it yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...