OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Hi,
my DS got cracked today, i cant return it to nintendo since i live far away from USA (where they bought it for me).
what are the ways to prevent it from going furthure? if i glue this hinge crack, is it possible that it will crack on some othe place too?
thnx.

after 4months of unpatiently waiting for my ds, now this happens, i couldnt enjoy even for 2months. its less than 2months.
thank you GOD, THANK YOU. T H A N K Y O U.

2qmjmna.jpg

2wfib15.jpg

2uo1lzd.jpg

35hr7tc.jpg

PLEASE help. i have no choice, i cant return it to Nintendo like rest of people.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dude, are you trying to make me look like a sales rep?
wink.gif
- GBAtemp Topic

They look pretty neat and it's a definite solution to your problem, but I'm waiting for some feedback before I buy (I haven't seen one first hand and they look a bit awkward to install)

Official Website
Installation Pix

I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.I DO NOT WORK FOR XTREME ENTERPRISE.

Kenzya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Your DS Lite is cracked, meaning the case is cracked. Putting on a new case means no crack, yeah?

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=48464

Hey and guess what happened after all that, the case actually broke around the hinge. The other half of the replacement case I have actually broke too. I just had to put my DS back together the way I bought it. And, as you can see in my picture, the build quality is not very good. Everytime I opened it up I noticed the rings around the speakers and there were little things like that apparent in the plastic.

You know you can actually buy an official Nintendo DS case? That would probably be the best solution.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
if i COULD buy another case, i would RETURN IT TO NINTENDO in the first place. the problem is I cant buy from internet.
so would people PLEASE anwer the question depending on my current state/situation ? thnx.

Propionation

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An attempt to answer your question as soberly as possible.
laugh.gif

First of all the crack on your hinge isn't that big. My NDSLs have cracked worse. Having the hinge cracked there doesn't mean the top of the DS would eventually crack off. Putting glue there wouldn't help the aesthetics of the situation but would prevent further widening of the crack. Also, the glue doesn't guarantee the prevention of other cracks on the hinge.

Besides these suggestions there is nothing more I can say except LIVE WITH IT. Sure a few blemishes here and there are annoying. Just treat is as standard wear and tear. Hinges are not exempt from that. As long as it doesn’t interfere with gaming it is bearable. *end rant*

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
your cracked piece is on the upper shell, inner half, correct?

I just finished modding a system and replaced my inner pieces with a transparent shell to give it a "skeleton" look, so I could send you my inner halves. however, changing them out is not one of the easiest tasks out there and you'd need a tri-wing screwdriver and sharp blade or pin to remove the screw covers on the inside of the upper half.

in fact, you have to disassemble your entire ds lite to change the inner top piece. if you'd like, I can do if for free, you'd just have to pay for shipping both ways.

pm me for details.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
i have some possibilities here:

1- does the Glueing void the warranty? see, i can now post my DS to my brother who is in the US and then my brother has to send it to nintendo and the same track of getting back here (with all the postal wasting moneys). if i do the glue thing and it doesnt help, i'll lose it all. so are you sure the super glueing that hair crack will prevent it from getting worse? i'm planning to use a toothpick and put a small layer of glue on the crack. comment here if anything reaches your mind.

2- or i can wait for 2+ months and my father will get back to US and will change the DS for me, if i do the glue thing, i'll lose again.

3- i can forget the glueing and work with it as normal, see if it get worse or not. if it get worse i'll contact nintendo through those two ways mentioned above and if it doesnt get worse, i'll be good.

since i cant live without my DS, and i'm scared of new DS's problmes such as dead pxels and even crack(, atleast mine doesnt have dead pixels)i'm trying to solve the problem with the crazy glue.
so tell me which way is ur preference.

thnx in advance.

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the crack is cosmetic and nintendo charges $50 dollars for repair (to install and put in new one), if i were you i would just glue it, i mean you are just putting glue on it, you are not opening it up so you are not voiding your warrnaty i have seen entire hinges break off though nintendo says its a defect that effects 2% of all dsl's but since its cosmetic and does not interfere with functionality they will only take $25 dollars off service charge (usually fee is $75 to get your dsl fixed after waranty expires).

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i read that Testors styrene liquid cement softens plastic a bit then bonds it together. I think that would work better than super glue.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx for ur answer.
1- the question is, are you suggesting the glue thing or not in the first place.

2- if yes, i have some questions about glueing. i dont think that we have that kind of glue in my country/city, the best think i think i can find is this crazy glue thing.

3-question about crazy glue a friend of mine told me that when i apply the crazy glue, it will try to bulk a little when it soldifies. I'm scared of that solidifiying of glue will make the problem woresn. is he right about this?

4- how much time should i wait to check if the crack gets worse or not? i play about 2,3 or 4 hours aday.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
u can do what i did..i replaced my case and got a shock case..

btw, sorry about the dust and particles...

i personally like the feel of the shock cases more than the original glossy finish. to me, it doesnt absorb those fingerprints that easy.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
if i COULD buy another case, i would RETURN IT TO NINTENDO in the first place. the problem is I cant buy from internet.
so would people PLEASE anwer the question depending on my current state/situation ? thnx.

see? i cant.
and i'm still in waranty so my concern is to glue and void (if it does) the waranty or do something else.

strummer12

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mine has been cracked since December. It doesn't get worse when it's fully cracked and it's just a cosmetic issue. It doesn't make the screen loose or anything so I won't go worrying about it.

Your DS crack will get worse since it's just forming and glue won't help much cos it's a manufacturing defect and whatever is making the crack, will break through the glue too. So I guess you will have to accept it like the rest of us. It's really not a big deal.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
Mine has been cracked since December. It doesn't get worse when it's fully cracked and it's just a cosmetic issue. It doesn't make the screen loose or anything so I won't go worrying about it.

Your DS crack will get worse since it's just forming and glue won't help much cos it's a manufacturing defect and whatever is making the crack, will break through the glue too. So I guess you will have to accept it like the rest of us. It's really not a big deal.

someone please clear it up, is it cosmetic or it will lose the upper screen? some ppl say that its just cosemetic, but i saw screens of broken upper screen due to this defect.

why glue doesnt help? whether its cosmetic or not, i believe the glue will help, my concern is about warranty.
it seems that people here dont read my posts, since i'll have to say the same thing as my first post over and over again.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
thnx for ur answer.
1- the question is, are you suggesting the glue thing or not in the first place.

2- if yes, i have some questions about glueing. i dont think that we have that kind of glue in my country/city, the best think i think i can find is this crazy glue thing.

3-question about crazy glue a friend of mine told me that when i apply the crazy glue, it will try to bulk a little when it soldifies. I'm scared of that solidifiying of glue will make the problem woresn. is he right about this?

4- how much time should i wait to check if the crack gets worse or not? i play about 2,3 or 4 hours aday.

5- is this problem just cosmetic or it will detach the upper screen eventually?

posting these Qs again for 2nd page.

scrawl

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've gone through 3 white DS-Lites now and all have developed hinge cracks, including those repaired my Nintendo.

If you're still under warranty, see if you can exchange it for a black or pink model. They seem to be less susceptible to the problem.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once you get over the "new toy" syndrome, the hinge crack doesn't weigh too much on your mind.

Do NOT use glue, especially super glue or equivalent. It will make the plastic brittle and certainly void your warranty.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up