Hacking Took Apart My DS And Fudged It

Kenzya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
After taking care of a few short comings of the DS Shock case (Adding one small piece of cardboard and one small piece of toilet paper) I have finally become happy with the whole end result. So, meaning, it's all finally bundled up nice and cozy all the pieces in their places and working 100%.

Of course, after putting the battery back in the DS Lite and turning on the DS the screens, shit is broken. When I turn on my DS Lite the top screen does not turn on at all and the bottom screen flashes white and then the whole DS turns off. I am 90% sure that the problem is not the ribbon cable that connects the top screen; the ribbons seems to be in tight and secure. The white and black wires are connected.

Sooooo, is there anyone who has encountered this problem who can help or someone more professional who can narrow down where the problem might lie?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Something is definitely loose. The exact same thing happened to me. Check the connections for the BIOS, wifi, microphone, etc. It is just a loose OR BROKEN cable. I ended up selling mine on eBay since one of the ribbon cables was partially (small small small fracture) broken.

EDIT: A bit more. The Nintendo DS Lite turns off when it knows something is disconnected/not functioning. Since the bottom screen turns on, you should probably check the top screen, as well as all the other connections

mflo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When you took your DSL apart, could you move your touch screen around? Because I want to adjust the positioning of mine, But I want to know if I can move it around and screw it back it without it moving out of place.

Kenzya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, I opened up the top screen and I saw that whatever is glued on to the back of the top screen I tried to peel off. First thing I did there was smooth it back out. I'm not sure why I even touched that in the first place. No other problems with the top screen. Back on the to bottom half, I just pushed in the ribbon hard as possible.

First time I turned it on I had the same results. Second time both screens flashed. Third time both screens flashed again. Fourth time the whole thing turned back on. I just wish this wasn't so hit and miss. Thanks for the help.

Edit: The touch screen moves but it's generally held in to place by two ribbons and the frame on the case.

Edit: I don't know if I should double post or just add it in as an edit. THE TOUCH SCREEN IS NO LONGER TOUCH SENSITIVE. While setting up my settings I couldn't poke in any names or dates. :/ Help?

blade85

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go back in time and dont do it

Maybe you messed up something in the bottom screen, open it back up and see if you pulled on something when you were putting it back together the second time

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The ribbon connecting the digitizer (touch) to the motherboard is extremely delicate. It is probably loose - and from personal experience, it is a fucking bitch to put back in.

You can't really shift the touch screen in a DSL. The top layer is the *color of your DSL* plastic ring; this part is visible when you open your DS normally. To move the screen, you will need to remove this ring (hard to take off, let alone put it back again) and replace it where you desire.

If the touchscreen doesn't work you've probably shifted it over...take apart and try to center? Just trying to help a little bit.

Completely irrelevant to the problem. The touchscreen shifting is a common issue (I'm assuming it is a hardware issue, and not due to some calibration glitch), but the only way I see it happens is under high pressure (where the touch screen has to move under the ring despite the glue holding the ring to the digitizer, as the ring is being blocked by the plastic frame). As said before, the digitizer cable is probably loose or broken. If you've checked it still doesn't work, buy a new one. They're relatively cheap and I can almost completely assure you a proper installation will revive your unit (you will have to remove that plastic ring around the old digitizer and place it on the new one though - this is probably among the hardest of the steps. The hardest of course is placing the cable in the slot required.

eseyo1

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i had the same problem when i replaced my first dsl with a shock shell. i had to superglue the ribbon down to the motherboard in order to get the screen to stay turned on and working. the ribbon is very delicate even if you think you've connected it tightly. i'll say it again, the time and money was not worth it. ended up selling my dsl and bought a new one.

TheBlueStylus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a loose ribbon cable. Make sure those ribbons cables are fastened well, even if it seems fastened sometimes it isn't really, just gotta double check it. Happened to me, was just a loose ribbon cable. As delicate as they might seem, I've been pretty rough putting mine back in, an i thought i crapped it up once, but it still works very well. I had to do this twice, because the SHOCK! shell got a hinge crack, which is the reason i got it to replace my cracked Lite...

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
All these horror stories of SHOCK! cases... I don't have the expertise to fit one, but all I seem to hear about them is failed installations. Maybe it's because only the people who have a problem with them post here.

- Sam

Kenzya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I'm doing a two tone case. This is actually the second time I've taken apart and put together the case. But, before, I had blue on the outside so I didn't have to actually fuck with the insides or the wires. I switched the blue to the inside which looks infinitely better but I just pulled some more problems out of my ass.

The ribbon is fine, it's in as far as possible and it's actually stuck in there. Unless of course if the ribbon has anything to with why my touch screen is no longer touch sensitive. But I've fiddled with every wire and ribbon and I just can't get the touch screen to work anymore. Uh, I'm not about to give up and sell my DS either because of a case mod. But, oh man, haha this is worse than when I put my xbox in an NES case, oh boy.

Kenzya

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, thanks. After another 15 minutes or so of fumbling around with just that digitizer cable I found the problem. I ended up using just a small wad of paper to fix it.. Jeez. After all that I noticed the bottom screen was flickering really bad so I fiddling around with that knob deal near the battery and I ended up chipping that. I got the bottom screen crystal clear though.. Haha, there's so much of me in this DS I could never sell it.

Here's the fruits of my labor. Looks alright I guess.
img0420customfu3.jpg

img0419customsa9.jpg

img0407customih9.jpg

Oh, and here. It's already an old post, wow. http://retronintendo.com/modules.php?name=...viewtopic&t=397
It's a lot more fixed up now.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
case modding is tricky on these things. firstly, nintendo's products are cheaply made. Also to get the cases apart is tricky because of the pins that hold the halves together. I replaced the case on an original DS that gayboy from craigslist sold me with one from ebay, almost cut the ribbon between the two halves doing it but it works fine. Wondering if there's anyone who sells that part, I'd just go ahead and replace it.

so now I'm considering replacing the case on my original DS, but I should've bought silver instead of white. The pearl white shell is this off white that I can't stand on anything, not on cars or anything besides paint on walls inside houses lol. But I may just use it or I could see if I can find some good tamiya paint and paint it a custom color I guess.

anyway if you mod these things don't half ass it lol get the right parts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating