Hacking My biggest request would be 2D 3D-mode.

sonicsleep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
My biggest gripe with the 3DS is 2D mode.
I love 2D content, have no problem with it, but I hate the 2D display mode on the 3DS.
As soon as you flick it into 2D mode, the colours get washed out and scanlines appear.

My absolute top wish would be when 3D is turned "off", instead, that singular 2D image is duplicated, and then fed into the screen but with 3D mode still on.

There's no 3D or eyestrain with this, because it's not really 3D. But you get accurate colours, and perfect square pixels.

I seem to remember you can see a sample of what this would look like if you play the new metroid and you turn the slider down to the minimum (but not off) when looking at the image cutscenes. It flicks it down to a TRUE 2D image, but keeps the 3D-screen on! It just looks so much better :( .

Considering we now have the ability to put overlays on the screen and stuff... How possible would it be to eventually 'force' the 3D screen to stay on, even for 2D images?

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
My biggest gripe with the 3DS is 2D mode.
I love 2D content, have no problem with it, but I hate the 2D display mode on the 3DS.
As soon as you flick it into 2D mode, the colours get washed out and scanlines appear.

My absolute top wish would be when 3D is turned "off", instead, that singular 2D image is duplicated, and then fed into the screen but with 3D mode still on.

There's no 3D or eyestrain with this, because it's not really 3D. But you get accurate colours, and perfect square pixels.

I seem to remember you can see a sample of what this would look like if you play the new metroid and you turn the slider down to the minimum (but not off) when looking at the image cutscenes. It flicks it down to a TRUE 2D image, but keeps the 3D-screen on! It just looks so much better :( .

Considering we now have the ability to put overlays on the screen and stuff... How possible would it be to eventually 'force' the 3D screen to stay on, even for 2D images?

Just get a 2ds? afaik turning 3D off does exactly what you want, because of how the screen works..?
edit: see here... https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/nintendo-3ds5.htm
basically the screen is really 800x240, every other line goes to one eye. so each eye gets 400x240. when the lens is in a neutral position (3d off) the lines would have to be doubled to form one 400x240 image, I think. otherwise you would have very wide nasty lines in between horizontally... I don't see any on mine.

Last edited by GizmoTheGreen,

sonicsleep

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just get a 2ds? afaik turning 3D off does exactly what you want, because of how the screen works..?
edit: see here... https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/nintendo-3ds5.htm
basically the screen is really 800x240, every other line goes to one eye. so each eye gets 400x240. when the lens is in a neutral position (3d off) the lines would have to be doubled to form one 400x240 image, I think. otherwise you would have very wide nasty lines in between horizontally... I don't see any on mine.

are you telling me that you see no difference at all with the colouring of the screen, nor with the quality of the screen, when you flip 3D from minimal to off?

The screen in the 3DS is a 3d screen primarily, and 2D mode is a degraded experience. The pixel gaps on the 3D screen are equal, but in 2D mode only the horizontal pixel gaps are present.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
are you telling me that you see no difference at all with the colouring of the screen, nor with the quality of the screen, when you flip 3D from minimal to off?

The screen in the 3DS is a 3d screen primarily, and 2D mode is a degraded experience. The pixel gaps on the 3D screen are equal, but in 2D mode only the horizontal pixel gaps are present.

The the solution to your problem is called a 2ds

Reactions: Tac 21

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: like who the fuck cares about Golf