Hacking My Biggest Questions Before SX Pro Install

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bit the bullet and ordered an SX Pro, but I wanted to clear some things up before I do anything. I’m still very new to this all, so answers to any of these questions would be highly appreciated!

1. Could someone list all of the downsides to being banned?

2. When people advise to never go online with SXOS, do they just mean on a standard boot? If not, how can one avoid being online if a lot of SXOS functions need an Internet connection?

3. Which is safer for staying unbanned - XCI or NSP? (I did see the XCI vs NSP thread, but there seemed to be conflicting opinions on this, so Im seeking some clarity)

4. I’ve heard some people mention their SX Pro is defective out of the box. How common is this?

5. I think I read that SXOS blocks cartridges from being usable, or vice versa. Is there any truth in this?

6. If one were to disable their online connection before using SX Pro, and keep it off for good, how could Nintendo possibly ban them?

7. Is there any remote possibility in the future of new methods to remove bans? Have bans of any other consoles ever been “solved”?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
1. No online (online multiplayer, friends).
2. SX OS does not need internet, unless you have pro dongle. And you can always block Nintendo servers via DNS. And by staying offline, they mean staying offline.
3. Neither. Probably XCI tho.
4. Don't know.
5. Nope. It wants you to remove your cartridge when "emulating" a cartridge, but you can then reinsert your own and it will work.
6. There are always logs and traces (what were you playing and so)
7. Maybe in very distant future.

Reactions: mranonymous

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. No online (online multiplayer, friends).
2. SX OS does not need internet, unless you have pro dongle. And you can always block Nintendo servers via DNS. And by staying offline, they mean staying offline.
3. Neither. Probably XCI tho.
4. Don't know.
5. Nope. It wants you to remove your cartridge when "emulating" a cartridge, but you can then reinsert your own and it will work.
6. There are always logs and traces (what were you playing and so)
7. Maybe in very distant future.

Thank you for all of these answers.

For #2, what is it about the SX Pro Dongle that requires internet? Is it a part of the boot phase, update process, etc?

And for #6, how do these logs/traces even reach Nintendo if the internet is never online?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thank you for all of these answers.

For #2, what is it about the SX Pro Dongle that requires internet? Is it a part of the boot phase, update process, etc?

And for #6, how do these logs/traces even reach Nintendo if the internet is never online?
2. It doesn't need online. It's easier to activate with internet connection but you can also take the license request from the SD card and upload it on SX website to get the license
6. Ofc not until you connect online but what's the point of not being banned if you're not gonna be online anyway. That's a self-ban

fadx

Filthy Cheater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've read (I could be wrong), installing NSPs you don't own is a guaranteed ban. I've been using XCI's offline (all using the same dumped cert) pretty much since the release of SX OS and I can go online with OFW and play games online, update games, download from eShop just fine.

Reactions: Rel and mranonymous

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. It doesn't need online. It's easier to activate with internet connection but you can also take the license request from the SD card and upload it on SX website to get the license
6. Ofc not until you connect online but what's the point of not being banned if you're not gonna be online anyway. That's a self-ban

Thanks. Good to know about the license request.

For #6, the point for me would just be preserving my console from being banned in case I ever want to uninstall SX OS in the future and revert back to OFW. It’d be nice to have that option instead of being stuck with a permanent ban

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

From what I've read (I could be wrong), installing NSPs you don't own is a guaranteed ban. I've been using XCI's offline (all using the same dumped cert) pretty much since the release of SX OS and I can go online with OFW and play games online, update games, download from eShop just fine.

If this is indeed the case, I’ll definitely be going with XCI’s.

From what I understand, XCI’s require a launcher, right? Does this make them less stable? Does the launcher need to be run directly from the CFW menu? Lastly, are there any major negatives to XCI’s?

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks. Good to know about the license request.

For #6, the point for me would just be preserving my console from being banned in case I ever want to uninstall SX OS in the future and revert back to OFW. It’d be nice to have that option instead of being stuck with a permanent ban

If this is indeed the case, I’ll definitely be going with XCI’s.

From what I understand, XCI’s require a launcher, right? Does this make them less stable? Does the launcher need to be run directly from the CFW menu? Lastly, are there any major negatives to XCI’s?
With SX OS, all you need to do with the XCIs is open the Album (which opens SX OS' backup selection menu), select the title you want to play and it'll go back to main menu and the console will act as though you just inserted the game's cart.

Rel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same here, I'm not touching NSP's until I get banned. Still able to update and play games online using just XCI backups.

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bit the bullet and ordered an SX Pro, but I wanted to clear some things up before I do anything. I’m still very new to this all, so answers to any of these questions would be highly appreciated!
Congratulations, you will find that it's a worthy purchase for your Switch.

1. Could someone list all of the downsides to being banned?

There aren't any, unless you want to pay to play online after September. Being banned, is something a small handful of us are just waiting for it to happen.

2. When people advise to never go online with SXOS, do they just mean on a standard boot? If not, how can one avoid being online if a lot of SXOS functions need an Internet connection?

They mean never to go online period, except for updates which currently for myself haven't gotten me banned and I'm still using the eShop.

3. Which is safer for staying unbanned - XCI or NSP? (I did see the XCI vs NSP thread, but there seemed to be conflicting opinions on this, so Im seeking some clarity)

XCI, because NSP installs to the console and is more detectable to the ban... Just be sure to patch any XCI you use, with a certificate from one of your games (use WAIN to grab a certificate).

4. I’ve heard some people mention their SX Pro is defective out of the box. How common is this?

I cannot comment on the SX PRO, but you get the option with the PRO to either use the dongle or go for one of the few methods the non-PRO users use.

5. I think I read that SXOS blocks cartridges from being usable, or vice versa. Is there any truth in this?

I've never had an issue with my carts being blocked, the only thing that happens is a cross-communication between the hardware/software and you'll see a message once in a while about the cartridge. Which is solved by a quick restart with the cartridge out of the console.

6. If one were to disable their online connection before using SX Pro, and keep it off for good, how could Nintendo possibly ban them?

If you stay offline before the SXOS, you'll have a longer non-banned life... But it's always tempting to go online, for the HBmenu store to see if there's anything new. Possibly, there will be firmware updates in the form of NSP's and you can keep the console up to date for the newer games.

7. Is there any remote possibility in the future of new methods to remove bans? Have bans of any other consoles ever been “solved”?

As of yet, no bans have been lifted. But in the future, it may be possible to change the console ID to that of an unbanned console (say for example a broken unit)... But don't take my word on it, because there will be someone in the comments quoting saying it isn't possible (maybe 2019?).

Last edited by Kyuuketsuki,

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The most likely way to stay unbanned is to never connect online, take a nand backup with Hekate before booting any cfw for the first time and if at some point you want to play online, take another backup and restore the old one with Hekate. Then it should look like there was never cfw used.

mranonymous

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With SX OS, all you need to do with the XCIs is open the Album (which opens SX OS' backup selection menu), select the title you want to play and it'll go back to main menu and the console will act as though you just inserted the game's cart.

Perfect, thanks! Sounds like a piece of cake

Same here, I'm not touching NSP's until I get banned. Still able to update and play games online using just XCI backups.

Seems like XCI is the way to go. I pre-downloaded a bunch of NSPs so they’ll be ready when my dongle arrives, but I’ll have to replace those with the XCIs.

Thank you for all of the info! I didn’t know that Nintendo is going to start charging to play games online. I’ve never played a single online game in my year and a half of owning a Switch (except for Minecraft for a couple minutes), and with them charging I’ll have even less of a reason to. So I guess I’m a good candidate for all of this, lol.

One last question: Are there technically 2 types of bans? One that just prohibits online usage, and another than totally bans you from system updates, re-downloading purchased games, online, etc? I’ve heard some people say the latter doesn’t exist while others say it does. Thanks again

EDIT: The last part of this post was quoted/meant for Kyuuketsuki, but for some reason their quote is not showing up.

The most likely way to stay unbanned is to never connect online, take a nand backup with Hekate before booting any cfw for the first time and if at some point you want to play online, take another backup and restore the old one with Hekate. Then it should look like there was never cfw used.

Gotcha thanks. Would it be advised to make a nand backup before installing CFW regardless of whether or not you want to play online in the future? Could it potentially help restore a bricked console or no?

Last edited by mranonymous,

Kyuuketsuki

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for all of the info! I didn’t know that Nintendo is going to start charging to play games online. I’ve never played a single online game in my year and a half of owning a Switch (except for Minecraft for a couple minutes), and with them charging I’ll have even less of a reason to. So I guess I’m a good candidate for all of this, lol.

Nintendo are going to start charging $20 for a 12 month subscription, which will include 20 NES games (to play online). But not too much more, although Nintendo aren't being too clear on the specifics of the games that are paid to play (Minecraft may actually be okay for FREE-play).

NSO-QandA-OnlinePlay.png

But the remaining features Nintendo explain in the next question, basically says we've got everything except online gameplay... Though my hopes are that they lose focus on those who are using SXOS and sniff out the online cheaters.

NSO-QandA-OnlineFeatures.png

One last question: Are there technically 2 types of bans? One that just prohibits online usage, and another than totally bans you from system updates, re-downloading purchased games, online, etc? I’ve heard some people say the latter doesn’t exist while others say it does. Thanks again

From what I've been reading, there is a main ban that is the eShop and online games. Then people have also been reporting lately that they cannot download updates or titles from CDNSP, which could be down to a number of reasons, such as their WiFi connection (but hopefully everyone has downloaded Pokémon Quest for the devmenu).

EDIT: The last part of this post was quoted/meant for Kyuuketsuki, but for some reason their quote is not showing up.

Yeah, I like to break up question posts and answer each quoted question individually, but it just got merged into a quote itself (it's what I get for trying to make things look nice). :lol:

Reactions: Rel and mranonymous

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
One is for console/account so that you can't use nintendo services.
The other one is straight ban from Nintendo servers, so you can't download anything (updates, games, dlcs, ...). And it really exists.

Last edited by Kubas_inko,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-