War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I've been downloading a lot of movies/anime since we stopped our cable service, and ugh... everything feels so boring. I just felt like I should ramble about Bleach.

I honestly don't see why everyone is falling head over heels for Bleach. What do you people like so much about it? It's just so generic... nothing exciting ever happens, it's just dialogue, characters attempting to be funny, and a fight here and there. I feel like every time something serious or exciting is happening, the atmosphere gets completely destroyed by one of the characters attempting to be funny or making an ass of themselves. I downloaded all the episodes up until the part where they rescue Rukia from the Soul Society, and I just have to say, I'm not impressed at all. I guess there's always a possibility that it might get better as it goes on, but up til now, it's a huge waste of time for me.

I also watched the first episode of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei... it's weird, but in a good way. It certianly captivated me way more than Bleach did. I actually look forward to watching the rest of the episodes.

I still have to download Death Note (although I've read the entire manga series like 3 times) and Rozen Maiden (to please Linki). It feels like other than Death Note and Code Geass/R2, anime has gotten worse and worse.

Although it's not anime, I also downloaded seasons 1-5 of Futurama... Although I love Futurama, the quality is HORRIBLE. Makes me angry because I spent like a week downloading that damn torrent, and the quality is horrendous.

fedgerama

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you want a good comedy anime, I recommend Excel Saga. It's a show about an underground organization called ACROSS and its 3 members. Every episode, they try to take over the world in one way or another. Every episode also has a different theme which is told in the beginning of the episode.

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
death note was great. i was sitting on the edge of my seat for the first six episodes. after that it's just kinda alright.

the fillers in bleach really destroyed it. and the second season really is a copy/pasta of the first. what made S1 so great was that they actually move through Japanese weapons development through the ages so its fairly interesting when a new challenger appears.

i know you said you hate comedy but nodame cantibile is really really nice. i should also warn you it's a musical.

and the season finale of gundam dubar oh should be coming up soon.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like Bleach. It's very classic, nothing new, but good action. After the Soul Society stuff, there's this "Bount" story which I feel is nothing compared to what comes after (read a few manga chapters). You need to get DeathNote, it is really classic. If you liked Code Geass (have you watched that?) you'll love it. If you haven't seen Code Geass, then you're really missing out.

I'm also gonna suggest the entire Gundam series to you. Seriously, it's all gold. The earlier ones aren't as good, but the later ones I've found to be amazing.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
War said:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really like comedy anime. I like action-ey stuff, or strategic/detective stuff like Death Note and Code Geass.
Hm... ever saw this one?
1201765524-Cowboy_Bebop_49.jpg

In case you didn't... well, I'd highly reccomend it. I'm not really into anime, but I love this thing to death.

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get an idea of what your tastes are like and maybe you'll like Kaiji. There's only like one joke throughout the entire series, it has morbid overtones, and it's very intense.

I made a quick "introduction to Kaiji" blog you can check out to see if it perks your interest:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=124950

And I recommend streaming (video streaming has come a long way, however downloading it usually gives the best results) the first few episodes to see if you like the art and such, then download if you like what you see.

Oh, and the best subs for it are by Triad.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's funny, because a lot of people consider Code Geass and Death Note trash.
I personally liked Code Geass, but I can see where their complaints come from.

Anything else you can mention about your tastes?
Perhaps a list of what you've seen and liked/don't like?

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
If you're not liking Bleach right now, you should skip forward to the Arrancar arc, it get a lot better there. I don't really see where the atmostphere gets ruined by characters making an ass of themselves or even if they do it's pretty funny most of the time.

Other good anime are FMA and Shaman King, both have pretty good action, check them out if you haven't already.

PS: Were you by chance watching the Dub of Bleach?

RoboClover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THIS POST IS REALLY REALLY LONG. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SAINTLY PATIENCE.

Kaiji is really brutal to watch...very serious and heavy...its unfortunate that the animation style is so unusual though, as that in itself takes away from the intensity a bit...

You may like it due to your being partial to strategy stuff...but it seems like every decision that's made and every strategy is life or death. And trust me, they like to drag it out and milk the suspense for all it's worth. Its shameless in that regard when compared to Deathnote, where the suspense was a bit more subtle and realistic. Plus there's an announcer which, when combined with the animation style, make it seem a bit like those mediocre Saturday morning animes that'd be on channel 10 along with Yu-Gi-Oh and whatever god awful Pokemon arc was running at the time. If you know what i mean.

Once you get past all that, its just very intense and emotional. Its not so much a thinking anime where people get out of weird situations with clever plans. More like a survival thing, where you think of desperate last measures with little resources so you uh...don't die.

And its not really meant to be too entertaining...at least in the DBZ respect where you just kinda watch it and theres little thinking involved. Its more like you come out of watching an episode confused about morality and the way the world works...it sort of makes you think...

I loved Higurashi no naku koro ni. It's definitely a sort of mystery anime, but there are also some sufficiently psychotic and gory moments that keep people like me watching ^ ^. Its sort of like: kid moves to small town, everything seems normal but it turns out everyone is insane or demented, and that everything is generally horrible and warped.

It is a bit jarring though, because half of it is just these normal kids living life in a small town with lots of dumb jokes and fanservice and what have you and half brutal, bloody, insanity. Pretty much every character is revealed to be horrendously insane in one of the arcs, which can be upsetting with the ones you've grown attached to further into the series.

Its also hard to watch at times because the mysteries of the series are unraveled in different arcs. All or most of the characters will die, and the next episode they'll be back again. You've got to be patient with it in this regard; eventually the Arc and chapter is shown at the beginning of every episode, but it takes some getting used to at first. Its a good mystery anime but the horrifying brutal bloody murder parts and happytime fanservice hanging out parts may turn you off.

I've never watched Gundam but from what I've heard its probably just what you're after.

Cowboy Bebop is one of the best animes of all time. I don't need to explain anything; just watch it. If you like the space western thing theres a bunch of other ones like that. Outlaw Star, Coyote Ragtime Show, Trigun (very good as well).

FMA was excellent as well, the action is very good but the in-between is usually lighthearted. I don't know how much of that kind of thing turns you off, but FMA is definitely worth a look. Great premise, animation, execution, everything is good.

HOWEVER. If you really liked Deathnote, I'm not sure what to recommend. None of the above are as serious as that show; DN was the most serious anime I've ever watched. I think i started to watch Monster and it had a similar serious tone, but I'm not sure how good it ends up being as i didn't watch more than 3 episodes.

Sorry for the rambling, i got really carried away.
wacko.gif

PS: Bleach is sort've just ok in general, but the dubbed version is worse, and the Bount arc is SUCK. The bount arc is why i stopped watching. So if you're watching the dubbed Bount arc...get to a subbed version and hopefully it gets better after the Bount.

Again, sorry. I wrote way too much. Hope someone found this helpful!

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoboClover said:
THIS POST IS REALLY REALLY LONG. DO NOT READ UNLESS YOU HAVE SAINTLY PATIENCE.

Kaiji is really brutal to watch...very serious and heavy...its unfortunate that the animation style is so unusual though, as that in itself takes away from the intensity a bit...

You may like it due to your being partial to strategy stuff...but it seems like every decision that's made and every strategy is life or death. And trust me, they like to drag it out and milk the suspense for all it's worth. Its shameless in that regard when compared to Deathnote, where the suspense was a bit more subtle and realistic. Plus there's an announcer which, when combined with the animation style, make it seem a bit like those mediocre Saturday morning animes that'd be on channel 10 along with Yu-Gi-Oh and whatever god awful Pokemon arc was running at the time. If you know what i mean.
I agree, towards the end of the boat arc, it seems they're dragging it out, but that last bit sent me off the edge.

OH LOOK THE NARRATOR IS PRETTY MEDIOCRE AND IT SEEMS LIKE IT'S ON THE SAME LEVEL AS YU-GI-OH

I see nothing wrong with the animation style. What's the matter, not enough spiked hairs for you? Not enough POWER LEVELS and YELLING for you? Not enough generic bullshit for you?

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny because I lost interest in Bleach all of a sudden too. It was after the soul society ark, and I think it was the Bount storyline, but it was a while ago. I was thinking of jumping back into it again, because that would mean like 100 new eps. I am guessing it gets better after this point.

I dunno, lately I haven't found much Anime that I like. I have watched 6 episodes of Gurren Lagaan, but I don't know if I really like it that much. The last Anime I really enjoyed was Gantz. If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it (even though the Anime story ends quite earlier than the Manga)

If you don't mind the 80's I suggest you check out Fist Of The Northstar. I am having a blast watching all 152 episodes. Its a pretty good story too, and has some totally freaky villains. They don't make many like this nowadays. It has a certain grittiness that I rarely see in stuff made after the mid 90's. Anyway, hope you find some show you like.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Bleach won't be very good until they start to fight the Espada. Even then, Bleach is mediocre (for me, who emphasizes plot alot). It's too boring, nothing but worthless talk, and fighting all the time. Not to mention the fight is not as intense as Naruto... well, anime can't really depict fast-paced and should-be-great battles

Want something relieving? Midori no Hibi is the best suggestion I have here. It's 100% pure laugh. Out of 3 times I watched it, I laughed out loud 3 times. The jokes are pure, really.

Gundam in my mind isn't that good. The gfx is way too old for me, even the Seed and Z.A.F.T. or whatever series (the one that promotes Freedom and Justice, which one is that?). Just watched a 3 mins video of it 3 days ago. The gfx is so 1998, slow battles, boring, and such. Good thing the recent games I played is pretty intense

Toradora might prove to be good too, many of my forum friends said it's good and whatnot, but since I'm into manga, I don't fell like watching it

Well, IDK your preference, so I can't suggest many things. Anime is not the best, manga is still superior, just like what happened between Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire's novel and DVD version... I can feel I like the novel much better

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
War you haven't even scratched the surface as to what can be called great animu. Don't bother checking the anime essentials thread either.. I wouldn't watch half the stuff on there.
If you really want good recommendations for anime then ask Tropicana. He seems to watch quite a lot.
There are a few other people whose opinion I would trust blindly but I just can't recall their names at the moment.

Regarding Bleach/Naruto/Soul Eater and other shows of that ilk (namely the generic shonen), should only be watched if you really, really like the show. It will never get any better if you don't like it to begin with and you won't suddenly enjoy the series as it progresses. Its just the nature of the genre. If you really want a kickass shonen then I suggest you watch Hajime No Ippo, Full Metal Alchemist, Hokuto No Ken and One Piece.

You said you don't like comedy anime but I don't think thats very fair of you to say seeing as you haven't watched any decent ones. You disregarded the genre only because you think you wouldn't like it. I should point out that Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is primarily a comedy anime. Don't bother watching crap like Lucky Star, no matter how well recommended.
Watch Cromartie High School, Great Teacher Onizuka, Bo-Bo Bo-Bo-Bo-Bo and Azumanga Dai-Oh.

And finally, my own real recommendation. As you may or may not know, I am a mecha whore and will watch anything with giant robots and enough shouting.

- Gunbuster
- Diebuster (watch it after Gunbuster)
- The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya
- New Getter Robo
- Gundam Wing
- Gundam 00 (sort of the same as CG and CGR2. First season is awesome, second is amazingly bad yet stylish)
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ( WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!)
- Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Michiko To Hatchin (all by the same studio so I grouped them together)
- Dragonball!
- Outlaw Star
- Tekkaman Blade
- Monster (Roboclover Reminded me of this. Great psychological thriller)

These are the anime on my TO WATCH list;

- Big O
- Gundam Seed
- GaioGaiGar
- Mazinger Z
- Gundam 83rd MS team
- Ergo Proxy
- Gantz
- Claymore
- D.Gray Man

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mobile suit gundam (ie the original) is still probably one of the best in the series. if you don't mind the 30 year old animation style

if you actually care about that you could always try gundam wing, although a lot of fanboys don't like it for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs