Hardware My 3DS is dead

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello!
I was playing with my 3DS when the red light started blinking (the battery was almost dead). So I plugged it in and tried to turn it on. The red light came on for a second and then turned off. I tried this a few times and waited a bit. The light is now blue (2 or more bars of battery life) and this still is happening.
Is my 3ds dead completely or should I wait for it to fully charge? I also tried turning it on when it was not plugged in.
Thanks.

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks all. Just wondering, has this happened to anyone else or is it some sort of brick?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Ok thanks all. Just wondering, has this happened to anyone else or is it some sort of brick?
Have you tried taking the battery out, waiting a minute, then putting it back, and turning on the console while being plugged?

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried taking the battery out, waiting a minute, then putting it back, and turning on the console while being plugged?
Ok I will try that soon, thanks! I will probably try turning it on after it is done charging first though.

Last edited by colt05,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I had this happen to me once and it was because of poor contact between the battery and the system.
So I put some tape on the battery to make sure the contact pins pressed together better and the issue was fixed.

I think what happened to you though is you turned the system on too soon after it was charging.

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had this happen to me once and it was because of poor contact between the battery and the system.
So I put some tape on the battery to make sure the contact pins pressed together better and the issue was fixed.

I think what happened to you though is you turned the system on too soon after it was charging.
Yeah that is probably what happened, as I turned it on when after I started charging it.

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It still happens, I am starting to think it is a software problem (I am still convinced it's bricked) because the light does not just turn off, it dims, which means the 3DS is doing it.

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Welp I tried doing that and it didn't work. I had dropped it before twice (once on very hard concrete, the other time on the floor), could that be why? Could I open up the 3DS (I have the screwdriver thing) and fix it?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@VinsCool
I dropped the 3DS before but it was still working until the red blinking light came on and I turned it off. Could this be the problem? I tried taking out the battery...

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I had dropped it before twice (once on very hard concrete, the other time on the floor), could that be why?
Yes. Like Zoogie said above, contacts may be worn off. My dsi has the exact same issue since I dropped it on the floor.

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Like Zoogie said above, contacts may be worn off. My dsi has the exact same issue since I dropped it on the floor.
How could I tell if this is happening? The 3DS does not turn on if it is plugged in and the battery is out, and the LED turns on and off when it is plugged in and the battery is in. Is this still possible when the contacts are worn off? How could I tell if they are worn off?

ADS3500

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It could still be dead even if the LED turns on for a second? Could the battery die if I drop the 3DS?
When a battery dies, it can sometimes only turn on for a second. Dropping it can damage the system and the battery, but if you dropped it, the battery probably isn't being held in place properly. I'd suggest trying a few of the other methods that people have suggested before buying a new battery.

colt05

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When a battery dies, it can sometimes only turn on for a second. Dropping it can damage the system and the battery, but if you dropped it, the battery probably isn't being held in place properly. I'd suggest trying a few of the other methods that people have suggested before buying a new battery.
I have tried putting in the battery multiple times, how could I check if the system or battery is damaged?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16