Homebrew Mute tracks in DS music?

ignare

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used VGMtrans which allows you to extract the soundfonts and midis of DS tracks, but it never turns out exactly the same even if you put the midi in a DAW and load the soundfonts, not to mention that takes an annoying amount of time.
What I'm wondering is if there's a way to simply play a songs from a ds rom with the ability to mute tracks at the same time like on a chiptune tracker.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are asking two questions there as far as I can tell

1) There are options for playback on a DS if you want to use hardware to make it sound normal
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nds-music-player.306997/
That said I usually go with vgmtoolbox and the 2sf format -- depending upon the plugin the folks at HCS forum might be able to tell and you also have the thing of your PC speakers probably being far nicer but still.

2) Yeah you can mod the tracks to be muted. Many choices but three main ones people go for
i) depending upon the format you have a volume setting in the header. Set this to 0 and there you go. Only example I have right now is a non standard SDAT (not that it makes much difference) but should be easy enough to find with various tools or referencing against the SDAT spec.
ii) the SSEQ has a loop option, and some of the wave things have options too. If there are a few notes of silence (or you can generate one) then set a loop after that and bam.
iii) just straight replace a track with silence.

Reactions: ignare

ignare

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i) depending upon the format you have a volume setting in the header. Set this to 0 and there you go. Only example I have right now is a non standard SDAT (not that it makes much difference) but should be easy enough to find with various tools or referencing against the SDAT spec.
Are you talking about when playing an sdat file on NDS Music Player or through something else?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you talking about when playing an sdat file on NDS Music Player or through something else?
I can't really think of any examples where the volume command was actually used in a commercial game so I don't know if that program will respect it but if it does respect it then both things will work there, though presumably if you are playing with the music player thing then there should be no extra effects getting in the way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again