Hardware Multiple switches for different uses

WarDarkFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone one more than one switch? For the longest time I've used my main on CFW for save backups and the occasional cheat menu. Never took it online before. However not my kids and wife have lite and want to play Mario Kart, Pokémon, Smash, etc. with them. Thinking about getting a either another switch or switch lite for this purpose. What do you think? I am aware that my game save will not be able to be pulled from one to the other. But I am not too worried about that.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
As someone that owns multiple switches due to laziness, I feel it's easier to just get multiple sd cards. In your case, there shouldn't be a problem if you get multiple switches for other people. You can use the group thing Nintendo does to share games.

WarDarkFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what would you recommend i go with? I know there is a price difference but would it be better to go with the regular switch or the switch lite? Mario kart would be nicer to play on the tv but i know lites can't connect like that

Disco Inferno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so what would you recommend i go with? I know there is a price difference but would it be better to go with the regular switch or the switch lite? Mario kart would be nicer to play on the tv but i know lites can't connect like that
I would recommend at least one regular Switch you can go online with.

My personal Switches:
1 Regular (only ever ran CFW from emuMMC, eMMC is clean and can go online), 1 Lite (might repurpose to a work Switch)

For work:
1 Regular (stock), 1 Lite (plan on getting more Lites for work)

Reactions: WarDarkFox

SilverDen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I use one launch day switch that has CFW on it (got banned a while back so I do anything hacking related on it). And then I have one that is the 2019 model that is for online.

I have exactly the same setup, could not be happier. No worries about getting banned (anymore), but also no drawback because of it. Would recommend 100%.

alevan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I would recommend at least one regular Switch you can go online with.

My personal Switches:
1 Regular (only ever ran CFW from emuMMC, eMMC is clean and can go online), 1 Lite (might repurpose to a work Switch)

For work:
1 Regular (stock), 1 Lite (plan on getting more Lites for work)

You bring your Switches to work? A dream job!

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
We have 3 Switches at home, I have one hacked switch for my retro gaming needs and an unhacked Swtich lite that I take online.
My girlfriend also have a Switch which is hacked.
We play together just fine in games like Mario Kart (no need to go online for some local multiplayer)

WarDarkFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last question, can you play most games like Mario Kart, smash, or trade Pokémon over local multiplayer without connecting to the Nintendo services?

Disco Inferno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One last question, can you play most games like Mario Kart, smash, or trade Pokémon over local multiplayer without connecting to the Nintendo services?
Yes for Mario Kart and Smash. I don't have Pokemon on the Switch, so I don't know about that, but you can visit Animal Crossing islands over just local wireless. It should say on each game what the multiplayer options are.

Last edited by Disco Inferno,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
We have 3 Switches in my place. Two are mine, one is my girlfriend's:

Be me, March 3rd, 2017: I bought my launch Switch "Erista" unit on launch day.

The following July, I won the first-ever Patreon Backer Raffle here, and won a 2nd Nintendo Switch "Erista" unit. I gave it to my girlfriend.

CFW eventually came out, and I got my launch system banned. So this is now my piracy and Homebrew Switch.

My girlfriend gave me her Switch back because she never played it, and so I could keep playing Splatoon 2.

~ Fast-Forward to March of 2020 ~

Animal Crossing came out, so we got her a new "Mariko" Switch. (That makes 3, total so far.)

I rarely play my hacked Switch anymore, as I mostly just play Splatoon 2, mixing in other games here and there to break up the monotony.

Now there's rumors of a Switch Pro "Aula" unit coming. I'll be buying one when it releases. This will give us 4 Switches, and we only need 3. So I'll be selling my Raffle-won Switch to a GBAtemp member after I transfer all my stuff over to my Switch Pro.

WarDarkFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have 3 Switches in my place. Two are mine, one is my girlfriend's:

Be me, March 3rd, 2017: I bought my launch Switch "Erista" unit on launch day.

The following July, I won the first-ever Patreon Backer Raffle here, and won a 2nd Nintendo Switch "Erista" unit. I gave it to my girlfriend.

CFW eventually came out, and I got my launch system banned. So this is now my piracy and Homebrew Switch.

My girlfriend gave me her Switch back because she never played it, and so I could keep playing Splatoon 2.

~ Fast-Forward to March of 2020 ~

Animal Crossing came out, so we got her a new "Mariko" Switch. (That makes 3, total so far.)

I rarely play my hacked Switch anymore, as I mostly just play Splatoon 2, mixing in other games here and there to break up the monotony.

Now there's rumors of a Switch Pro "Aula" unit coming. I'll be buying one when it releases. This will give us 4 Switches, and we only need 3. So I'll be selling my Raffle-won Switch to a GBAtemp member after I transfer all my stuff over to my Switch Pro.

my only issue with "new" versions of systems is the poor handling on units available and ordering process. If it is anything like what happened/happening with the PS5 and XBX, its going to be a very long time till i get this versions of the switch. I've even would say that the interest i had in getting a PS5 has pretty much gone at the moment due to the constant out of stocks, scalpers, and just overall work you have to put forth to try and track one down.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes for Mario Kart and Smash. I don't have Pokemon on the Switch, so I don't know about that, but you can visit Animal Crossing islands over just local wireless. It should say on each game what the multiplayer options are.

Hmm, let me test this further. Maybe If I can do all the games that I would play with the family over local wireless, I might not need a second console.

WarDarkFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my only issue with "new" versions of systems is the poor handling on units available and ordering process. If it is anything like what happened/happening with the PS5 and XBX, its going to be a very long time till i get this versions of the switch. I've even would say that the interest i had in getting a PS5 has pretty much gone at the moment due to the constant out of stocks, scalpers, and just overall work you have to put forth to try and track one down.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm, let me test this further. Maybe If I can do all the games that I would play with the family over local wireless, I might not need a second console.

Was able to trade a pokemon from lets go pika from cfw switch to son's lite without any issue.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own three switches. my first switch, a neon joy con one, I used that to do a data migration. it's not so much a data migration as your saves and games remain on the original switch. you'll have to redownload any games, updates, dlc or whatever you purchased. also, the latest switch update now allows for automatic downloading of saved data from one switch to another (as long as it's the same account) via the cloud. you have to download the data originally by hand, which sucks, so the data must be on the switch to begin with. anyway, data migration automatically made my animal crossing the primary switch too. my Mario switch, which I got a week or two ago, I just input my information and downloaded all my games and saves. saves can be on multiple switches as long as they're to the same accounts. I think you can hold like 8 accounts on a switch, but you'll have to get a family nso subscription for more than one switch. if you use the same account on all switches, the same nso subscription works. also, one thing that sucks is that if you have a digital collection, you can't play a game on a secondary switch without being signed in, and it can't be at the same time as another one of the switches, even if it's a different game. that's if they're tied to the same account. that's pretty much what I know about using multiple switches, at least legitimately.

WarDarkFox

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well I purchased another switch(non-lite). My justification was that if My son wanted to play minecraft or Mario galaxy on tv, then he would need to have a dock-able switch and connection to cloud saves to go back and forth. While my switch can be played on TV, the ban due to CFW would prevent him from getting his saves from the cloud.

Reactions: Disco Inferno

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Your dad still got laid +1