Misc Multiple 3DSs in house but only 1 can access online/friend services at a time

retKHAAAN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

We have 2 N3DSXLs and 1 N2DSXL in the house but only one can access friend/online related features at a time. All three devices can access the eshop without issue but despite all being connected to the home network only 1 will show as “Online” at a time.

While this isn’t much of a problem when we’re all together, my goal with getting three of them was to be able to play multiplayer with both of my sons while I’m out of town. Any help would be appreciated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Several possibilities, and we have had plenty of people do such things before (to say nothing of it being an eminently possible scenario) so there should not be any clients per IP restrictions on Nintendo's end causing the problems.

1) While mac addresses should be used I have seen some things get into trouble when the device names are the same.

2) Do they share a local friend code seed thing? If a couple were banned and the other donated theirs then it is effectively the same device as far as Nintendo is concerned.

retKHAAAN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Several possibilities, and we have had plenty of people do such things before (to say nothing of it being an eminently possible scenario) so there should not be any clients per IP restrictions on Nintendo's end causing the problems.

1) While mac addresses should be used I have seen some things get into trouble when the device names are the same.

2) Do they share a local friend code seed thing? If a couple were banned and the other donated theirs then it is effectively the same device as far as Nintendo is concerned.
These were all purchased brand new. The 2DS (mine) is the only one with custom firmware, not that it should really affect anything in this case. Each device is named after the owner on the network.

They currently have IPs assigned to them but I’ve done no port forwarding. We have three Xboxes in the house that can all connect to Live without issue but MS lets you pick a different port to use on each console. I haven’t been able to find anything similar on the Nintendo side.

I’m going to try letting them connect via DHCP and see if UPnP will fix it.

Edit***
No dice relying on UPnP...

Are there any ports the can be forwarded to the devices?

Last edited by retKHAAAN,

retKHAAAN

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick update...

I spread the assigned IP addresses out (they were previously consecutive numbers) and everything appears to be connecting fine now.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That should not really have done anything outside of something really fun like sticking them on different subnets, or something basic like you setting parental controls/firewalls on those IPs and are now dodging that. Didn't do any ARP poisoning or anything like that did you?

I suppose I can see it getting the proverbial foot up its arse to sort itself out (a slightly more advanced version of "have you tried turning it off and on again?") but very odd if not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: F