Multiplatform decisions

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by R2DJ, Sep 6, 2011.

?

On which console do you own more games?

1. 360

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PS3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Sep 6, 2011

Multiplatform decisions by R2DJ at 8:24 PM (525 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    So I just got myself a PS3 (I've waited 5 years for one) and I ran into this problem while deciding on which games to buy with a certain budget. Now, I've had a 360 for almost 3 years and have developed a decent sized library. I've decided that I should get a PS3 now due to the recent price cut and the fact that more and more game devs are favouring the PS3 now (Revelations beta comes out on PS3 and PS3 only, Steamworks not on 360 even though there are already people paying for the service for at least 6 years now, one of the cheapest Blu-ray players out there, etc.) So now I am happy that I've got the best of both seventh generation worlds.

Now I have come across a problem. Earlier today I went to a game shop to buy some PS3 essentials. Now I only had £30 to shell out and I wanted to get at least 3 games. I went to the shop and I see games ranging from £5 to £25. I didn't wanna shell out for new releases as I prefer getting them later. The problem is I really had a hard time deciding on which games to get. It was either go for the exclusives, go for online games or go for games that my friends have so I can play with them. The problem with choosing online games is that I already have them for the 360. As much as I want to spend my money on something that I already have so I can play with my other friends (AC Brotherhood, Red Dead, NFS), I chose the exclusives instead (Ratchet and Clank, Heavy Rain, inFamous).

Now I made this topic because I want to know how you, the people who own a PS3 AND a 360, decide on what platform should you get the game/s for. I really wanna know. I'm really tempted to have a clone of my 360 library because my friends have those games, but it's a really expensive option. I wanna know how you exactly decide if you should get X game for 360 or PS3 (or maybe both). Do you compare features, the online popularity (more people play Rock Band online on 360 than PS3), if your friends have it, etc.

Thanks

TL;DR - If you get a game, how do you decide if you should get that game for 360 or PS3. What are your deciding factors?

2. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    For multiplatform games I say you go the console which was the lead development console. For most of the time it tends to be the 360 sometimes the PS3 like FF13. Unless on version has special features i.e. Portal with Steamworks on the PS3.

What games to buy on the PS3? Get the exclusives, don't waste your money on buying duplicats, spend it on new gaming experiences. I suggest picking up Uncharted 2, GoW 3 and Valkryie Chronicles as the best of the PS3 exclusives and you can get all three for around £30 combined.

3. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I don't own any current Gen consoles as i still game on a PS2 but why not use CEX to buy cheap and perhaps part exchange games?

4. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I haven't touched my PS3 in ages. It's not the console's fault, really, but I like not having mandatory installs. Plus, there's the fact that none of my friends have a PS3, so if I want to play online with people, the 360 is the only way to go.

Also, achievements are way more addicting than they have any right to be.

5. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    The 360 controller is better, so if it's anything i'm going to skillfully need to use a controller for...I got it for 360. Ninja Gaiden is the BEST example in history. Playing that game with a PoS3 controller, I do absolutely terrible. But with a 360 controller I dominate that game.

If it's an online game, I get it for 360. The 360 community is larger, more stable, and has more features. It's pretty much a given, and it's chump change to pay for. A 12 year old can make the money to pay for XBL easily (as long as you buy it by the year like an intelligent person).

Frankly all my PS3 is used for is exclusives. The only multiplatform games that are better on PS3 compared to 360 is FF13 because it's prettier and doesn't require skillful controller movements, and Eternal Sonata because it was ported with a bunch of new content.

I bought my PS3 for Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. Completely worth the price for VC alone.