MSI GT680R Graphic upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by TheTepig, Jul 1, 2016.

1. TheTepig
    OP

TheTepig Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Walking around the world
    Hello! I know this might be a nooby question , but I have a MSI GT680R with a GTX 460m and I want to upgrade it to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NVIDIA-GTX-...fb568e&pid=100338&rk=2&rkt=11&sd=201591346023

My question is, would this card work in my laptop? and if it did, what would I have to change? The heat sync or more power?

Thanks!

TheTepig

PS. (I know the gt680r is old but it still is running strong and has that MXM graphics card interface I am pretty sure its type B but you can't test unless you try to put a type B card in it.)

2. Fazana

Fazana Professional Trashposter

Mar 7, 2016
    Local Chippy
    In theory you could, same wattage, size and connection, but honestly, 460M -> 660M is not that big an upgrade, not big enough to justify a $140 purchase. You're getting about a 20% increase in raw performance and a bit more vram.

Some might disagree, many might disagree, but in my personal opinion, 20% performance increase isn't enough to justify an upgrade, I could probably get that difference out of some well done overclocking.

3. TheTepig
    OP

TheTepig Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Walking around the world
    Thanks for the reply! I have overclocked my GTX 460M to the max during games, and I can play games like Star Wars Battlefront on medium, but only in 720... do you have a graphics card recommendation? That is both cost effective and more powerful?

4. Fazana

Fazana Professional Trashposter

Mar 7, 2016
    Local Chippy
    TheTepig likes this.
  5. TheTepig
    OP

TheTepig Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2015
    United States
    Walking around the world
    Thank you very much! I will check this out and make sure it will support my PC

TotalInsanity4 likes this.