MSI G31M3-v2 and E8400 OC Help

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Patelitojoe, Jun 18, 2009.

Jun 18, 2009
  1. Patelitojoe
    OP

Newcomer Patelitojoe Member

United States
    So I recently bought a pc from cyberpower with the hopes to OC my cpu. The stats are roughly

E8400 @ 3.0ghz

4.0gb of ram. (some generic brand)

Windows Vista Ultimate 64x

320gb HD

I'm trying to oc to 3.6ghz. I don't have anymore info on the pc unil I get home. The vcore can't be changed on my motherboard but I hear that the e8400 is easy to overclock. Any tips as to how I can overclock my cpu.

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    No Vcore changing? Make sure that baby doesn't up it itself (as that generally sucks as it is way more then the chip needs). Naturally watch the temps on your proc too and do stability tests along the way (each change) with Orthos or w/e.

Change 1 variable at a time (upwards); FSB, mem clock, core clock (and Vcore). Also make sure it's the proc being the problem or the memory (or the mobo!).

3. Patelitojoe
    OP

Newcomer Patelitojoe Member

United States
    I can't even clock it to 3.1ghz. the mobo stops at around 3.05ghz and doesn't boot beyond it. is there anything I might be doing wrong?

4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    What are you changing to get to 3.1? Also is Vcore changing (or any of the other voltages) while you up the speed?

5. AnotherMuggle

Newcomer AnotherMuggle Member

United Kingdom
    If you are OCing a pre-built machine then there's a chance the PSU is not man enough to cope with the increased power draw.

6. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    get a better motherboard, and PSU if its some no-name/generic brand
    thats all I can say...