Homebrew MSET exploitation development question

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so for those of us with MSET downgraded it is a fantastic exploitation point for accessing things such as GW & rxTools

I have wanted and wondered for a long time (but held back my question for fear of getting shot down in flames) weather there is any possibility of an exploit to load HBL directly through this entry point ?

The reason for me wanting this... At the moment my only 'initial' entry point for a clean install to access HBL would be using Webhax, but if this were ever somehow made redundant by the N men then i would be struggling to get in (i do not own an original Cubic Ninja and don't want to buy it again either)

So, if there were a way for a Dev to create a way to load HBL via MSET it would be a permanent fix for initial HBL access, possibly using some type of .NDS file through a basic r4i cart (same way we do with rxTools & GW) or some other clever way

I would love this to be possible and really hope for some positive comments

Thanks kindly in advance

Last edited by peteruk,
Reactions: Cha0s Em3rald

Gereirhadeigne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I mean using themehax and browserhax together on 9.x-9.2 can launch HBL at cold boot, so you have that, but I don't believe anyone has made an MSET specifically for the HBL, at least from what I've seen, but since the HBL can be launched at start with the above two, it should be possible to make an MSET guided to the 3dsx that houses the HBL; So I guess it's "theoretically" possible, and I'd vote for it to be made too, would be great launching this stuff with just the SD card.

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm, I mean using themehax and browserhax together on 9.x-9.2 can launch HBL at cold boot, so you have that, but I don't believe anyone has made an MSET specifically for the HBL, at least from what I've seen, but since the HBL can be launched at start with the above two, it should be possible to make an MSET guided to the 3dsx that houses the HBL; So I guess it's "theoretically" possible, and I'd vote for it to be made too, would be great launching this stuff with just the SD card.

Thank you so much for posting and understanding what i am seeking

So in theory it is a possibility, i would love to have this, it would be the ultimate initial entry point, for me it would make my console complete

Hopefully others will see our post's and come up with a solution :)

Reactions: Gereirhadeigne

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thank you so much for posting and understanding what i am seeking

So in theory it is a possibility, i would love to have this, it would be the ultimate initial entry point, for me it would make my console complete

Hopefully others will see our post's and come up with a solution :)
Problem is there are very few people still using the MSET entry point, not only is menuhax capable of ARM9 homebrew (if you're on 9.0-9.2) aswell as all other homebrew, and now with HANS romhacking, but the only consoles that can have a downgraded MSET that is exploitable are also easily capable of installing menuhax or just using browserhax (if you for some reason don't want to use menuhax). The only thing menuhax cannot do is launch GW, but if you are just using GW emunand and not red card, you can use rxTools to use the same emuNAND with menuhax.

TL;DR. Yes it could happen, but there won't be any dev doing it as for most people this would be useless, maybe not for you but there are just too few people where an alternative like menuhax wouldn't be 10x better.

PS. You can actually use menuhax from settings (kind of). By opening it then closing it while holding L until menuhax loads you kind of have the ability to load menuhax in the same space as the MSET exploit.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Problem is there are very few people still using the MSET entry point, not only is menuhax capable of ARM9 homebrew (if you're on 9.0-9.2) aswell as all other homebrew, and now with HANS romhacking, but the only consoles that can have a downgraded MSET that is exploitable are also easily capable of installing menuhax or just using browserhax (if you for some reason don't want to use menuhax). The only thing menuhax cannot do is launch GW, but if you are just using GW emunand and not red card, you can use rxTools to use the same emuNAND with menuhax.

TL;DR. Yes it could happen, but there won't be any dev doing it as for most people this would be useless, maybe not for you but there are just too few people where an alternative like menuhax wouldn't be 10x better.

PS. You can actually use menuhax from settings (kind of). By opening it then closing it while holding L until menuhax loads you kind of have the ability to load menuhax in the same space as the MSET exploit.

The problem lying in this... on a fresh install you need an entry point to HBL, you can't install menuhax without first using Ninja or webhax, what i am saying is if they find a way to stop webhax completely and we dont own CN then we cannot get into HBL at all

But, if someone created an MSET entry point for HBL, there will always be an initial entry point for those wanting to do a fresh install

Reactions: Deleted-236924

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
The problem lying in this... on a fresh install you need an entry point to HBL, you can't install menuhax without first using Ninja or webhax, what i am saying is if they find a way to stop webhax completely and we dont own CN then we cannot get into HBL at all

But, if someone created an MSET entry point for HBL, there will always be an initial entry point for those wanting to do a fresh install
Yeah... Except that webhax works just fine on 9.0-9.2, there is almost no one on 9.0-9.2 who hasn't installed menuhax, or ironhax. Really there are way to few people that have this "problem" and currently browserhax is not blocked, and unless you use some newer carts (wich will require you to update anyways) you won't be blocked out of browserhax.

TL;DR: There is no reason for this to exist.

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I find MSET better than menuhax just because it has almost a perfect boot rate. For me, menuhax boots 5/10 times.
For me menuhax (2.0) boots all of the everytime
Have you not updated?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Based on this fact, would you also like to see an MSET to HBL exploit created ?
No, becuase it's not a fact, and probably an outdated version, for me it boots 100% of the time.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
TL;DR: There is no reason for this to exist.

It is good that you have your opinion and i respect this opinion

However, already there are 3 people all asking for this as a fail safe / safe guard entry point

Yes, we have menuhax, but who knows what Nin...... could do to stop that.... they would be powerless to stop MSET to HBL though

Reactions: Deleted-236924

AtlasFontaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
For me menuhax (2.0) boots all of the everytime
Have you not updated?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

No, becuase it's not a fact, and probably an outdated version, for me it boots 100% of the time.
I'm actually using it, I have an O3ds btw, the bootrate is pretty unstable.

Based on this fact, would you also like to see an MSET to HBL exploit created ?

If course I would like to see it.

Last edited by AtlasFontaine,

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It is good that you have your opinion and i respect this opinion

However, already there are 3 people all asking for this as a fail safe / safe guard entry point

Yes, we have menuhax, but who knows what Nin...... could do to stop that.... they would be powerless to stop MSET to HBL though
https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases
there download that pls.

And no, they are just as capable of patching MSET as they are menuhax. Both would requere to update a part of the system, in case of MSET the settings app and in case of menuhax the home menu. But they are extremly unlikely to fix either of them, it would in both cases risk a brick if the cart was pulled out or something, and yes both can be patched if you choose to update but no duh obviously it will be patched then.

Again, I respect your opinion, but to me you seem stuck on the idea that menuhax is in some way infirior to MSET. When in reality both are fine and neither will be patched (ever (on 9.0-9.2)). For me I just wish that you would just give menuhax a shot, see for yourself how well it works for you, and if it does not then to bad you don't have any way you like to boot homebrew (and however sad it might be you in this case probably never will, again 3 people is only a tiny part of the community, and most devs capable of doing this are spening their time better finding new entrypoints for the latest version instead of trying to get HBL to boot from an exploit found in 4.5)

I'm actually using it, I have an O3ds btw, the bootrate is pretty unstable.

If course I would like to see it.
I have menuhax 2.0 both on o3DS (9.2) and n3DS (9.0) both with a 100% bootrate.

Reactions: peteruk

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@MRJPGames

Firstly, thank you for the healthy discussion/debate

I already have Homemenuhax 2.0 and yet it works fine, as does Webhax for me, but i am talking about a completely clean install (memory formatted etc...)

So what i am asking for is another fail safe and that fail safe would be perfect in the form of MSET, the MSET is completely offline and would be far harder for them to block in comparison to a web browser exploit (in my humble opinion)

There most certainly seems to be a call for this and if it is not too hard for someone to create i would be very happy to see this

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
@MRJPGames

Firstly, thank you for the healthy discussion/debate

I already have Homemenuhax 2.0 and yet it works fine, as does Webhax for me, but i am talking about a completely clean install (memory formatted etc...)

So what i am asking for is another fail safe and that fail safe would be perfect in the form of MSET, the MSET is completely offline and would be far harder for them to block in comparison to a web browser exploit (in my humble opinion)

There most certainly seems to be a call for this and if it is not too hard for someone to create i would be very happy to see this
So first you said (in your humble opinion) that you feel the web browser would be easier to patch. The things is though your opinion in this case won't change the fact that any checking code to block the browser was added in 9.9 and will never be in 9.8 or lower as nintendo just cannot (even if they wanted) add that to older versions.

Secondly you said that there seems to be a call for this and that it would be easy for someone to create this. Well again this is simply untrue. Not only are there (still) very few people wanting this, but it's ALOT harder to achieve this than you might think, it would actually be weeks of work for a dev that can already hapily use menuhax, ironhax or ninjhax just as easily without having any fear of any of them being blocked as long as he stays on 9.0-9.2.

I hope you now understand why I think that however cool it might be to see some new life in this "ancient" exploit, I for one don't see it happening and tbh MSET is kind of dead, there are bigger and better things out there and except for a select few no one even bothers with MSET any more.

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@MRJPGames

Again, thank you for your opinion, so it is fair to say that this would be of no interest to you, therefore that it is your right and perhaps no longer the thread for you

Just to clarify, i don't think it would be an easy job and i never said it would, i was simply asking if it could be done and would anyone be prepared to do it

You are clearly not interested in this, but clearly others are, so allow us to to be interested, you have made your points and i accept them all, but please accept mine also, it seems i am not the only person who would like to see it :)

@Buttsnake Don't be a grammar nazi :P

MRJPGames

Pretty great guy
Trophies
Website
fizazy.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
@MRJPGames

Again, thank you for your opinion, so it is fair to say that this would be of no interest to you, therefore that it is your right and perhaps no longer the thread for you

Just to clarify, i don't think it would be an easy job and i never said it would, i was simply asking if it could be done and would anyone be prepared to do it

You are clearly not interested in this, but clearly others are, so allow us to to be interested, you have made your points and i accept them all, but please accept mine also, it seems i am not the only person who would like to see it :)

@Buttsnake Don't be a grammar nazi :P
"if it is not too hard for someone to create i would be very happy to see this"
I misread this as you saying it would be easy for someone to create it. But now at least you know it isn't XD

peteruk

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"if it is not too hard for someone to create i would be very happy to see this"
I misread this as you saying it would be easy for someone to create it. But now at least you know it isn't XD

Thanks for the clarification :)

I can live in hope (along with others) that some kind dev will breathe life into this "ancient exploit" and bring us this MSET to HBL

But as you have explained i/we may well be waiting a long time or may never see it at all, i guess time will tell

Reactions: MRJPGames

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o