Hacking Moving to Australia and taking my NTSC-U Wii with me

EvanUnisil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a bunch of NTSC games, will I have any problems playing my Wii in Australia on the televisions there? Will I need to do anything? Or will everything run Ok?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
lcd and plasmas are dirt cheap here now too only $1500 for a 127cm are economy is 2nd best in the world right now
tongue.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
As said, most TV's will be able to play both PAL and NTSC, even oldish ones.

To use your Wii though you will need to buy a stepdown converter as we operate at 240v and US is 110v. Plus a plug converter so you can plug you're US style plugs into our sockets.

boof222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Schizoanalysis said:
You will need a power converter:

Australia = 240 volts
US = 110 volts

You will blow up your US console using it here without a converter...
yeh you delfinitly need a converter my dads an electrician and he said it will blow up without 1

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
instead of buying a converter and adapter, you may as well just get an aussie power cord for your wii as the wii itself is identical to pal wiis except for the sysmenu running on it...

boof222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mercluke said:
instead of buying a converter and adapter, you may as well just get an aussie power cord for your wii as the wii itself is identical to pal wiis except for the sysmenu running on it...
no my dad said it would still blow up.
its because the ntsc wii is running off 110v so getting an australian cord would blow it up its exactly the same without an australian cord.
you need to get a power converter
my dad recomends getting a power converter from dicksmith oelectronic stores like that

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
indeed it will blow up (well not exactly blow up you'll see a very large spark than the wii will never turn on again
laugh.gif
) our power is different here so you need a converter or you could always buy a pal wii here their also dirt cheap
tongue.gif

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They sell travel power converters at Radio Shack (I think they are called "The Source" or something in Canada. These converters are used when you go on vacation to other countries that use different power systems than the North American 110V 15A . You probably have more than one electronic gadget that you will take with you so I would recommend picking one up.

8BitWalugi

Taiyohhhhhh!
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Australia
boof222 said:
mercluke said:
no my dad said it would still blow up.
its because the ntsc wii is running off 110v so getting an australian cord would blow it up its exactly the same without an australian cord.
you need to get a power converter
my dad recomends getting a power converter from dicksmith oelectronic stores like that

He's saying buy/order and Australian Wii AC Adaptor that supports (obviously) our power supply. With the TV discussion, my older bro borrowed his friends NTSC-U GCN no av's or ac. Runs fine with my GC's AC Adaptor and displays perfectly on my TV.

So, get an Australian AC Adaptor for Wii from Nintendo and the Av's you got with it should be fine on our TV's.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Isn't the power supply of the Wii automated to work 110-220...??
huh.gif
let me see......

EDIT: Well it is not, but if the Australian power supplys say OUTPUT: DC 12v 3.7A, then you just need to buy one over there and you're set to go...!!
smile.gif

upbumpo190

Trophies
Website
ethericwarriors.eu
XP
Country
France
mercluke said:

Actually, you're 100% right.

First thought:

You can either buy a 240V-110V transformer or buy an Australian power cord. (For those who say this is wrong, the Wii is not 110v itself, but rather uses a very low DC voltage, only the power adapter is affected, it transforms 110v to let's say, 10V DC and same in Australia, just 240V to 10V DC. Get a new adapter, and you are good to go.) The same goes for just about any other console. Wii, DS, PSP, Xbox 360, PS2 but I believe the PS3's is built in, it could be dual voltage, I don't know.

If the output voltage is OK, then you're fine. Just make sure you buy one with 240V AC input and 10V DC output or, whatever the Wii is rated for.

For the long run, I recommend just buying a new adapter, since the voltage transformers you buy in a store (ex: radio-shack) don't modulate the frequency, which everybody seems to forget about. The United States' power grid runs 60Hz whereas Europe, and Oceania run 50Hz. Run a picky 110V appliance with a 240V transformer, it will work, but you risk reducing it's life, and expect problems (ex: a 110V NTSC tube TV I ran on 240V, had massive and extremely annoying flickering)

You will rarely find a frequency modulator + voltage transformer in one package, at a store, and if you did, you wouldn't be able to afford it.

Second though:

Don't buy one at radio-shack, they have a bad design. The ones made for Australia and whatnot. We have indented outlets in France, and the American bought transformer have flat plug, right prongs, but don't plug-in right because of the shape. Don't believe me? I'll send you pictures. I've also had problems with the prongs being too far apart, and having to bend the thing to fit.

Buy one in Australia, which are generally better, form factor wise, and more powerful. (Radio shack sells 50W transformers, which is good for a shaver or a VCR, and that's about it. The ones I bough here range from 200W to 1000W, I run my American blenders and such on them.)

I hope you enjoy your new country, and good luck adapting to the culture! At least they speak English, I had to learn French. >_>

UPDATE: I just checked, the Radio-Shack transformer is good for 200mA (Milli Amps) or 0.2 Amps, which is NOT enough for your Wii. Just buy a new adapter when you get there.

~Chris

Source: Been there, done that.

boof222

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
after my dad read that lol i ended up being the 1 that made the mistake (woopsies
ninja.gif
) what upbumpo said is fine.

EDIT: quadruple posted woops computer is shit

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users