Moving mint4win to a partition.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Sop, Feb 7, 2013.

Feb 7, 2013

Moving mint4win to a partition. by Sop at 5:43 AM (753 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Sop
    OP

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    Hey guys, I used mint4win to install Linux Mint and I would to like to move it to a partition. The wubi migration script for ubuntu doesn't seem to work with Mint. (had to use mint4win as no disc drive and dell laptop with bios password (dell passwords are stored in eeprom, so I cant just take out the battery)).\

Sorry for Linux noobness, but I've searched for this and couldn't find any answers.

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=22553
    Kind of an old thread, but some of it is still useful.
    You could probably go about with getting a list of installed packages (I think synaptic has the option somewhere) and then copying your home folder over. Then you just reinstall all the packages (I think synaptic can also handle that too) and should be, for the most part, done...unless you do slightly more deviant stuff with your mint4win than the naive user would (any packages you didn't get from the official repos, any scripts that you left somewhere else and not in your home folder, etc.)

-edit-
    This does mean you have to reinstall a fresh LinuxMint partition to how you want before copying over everything.

3. Sop
    OP

Australia
    I do do some of that stuff.

Also, what do you mean a fresh partition? It's installed on my media/gaems partition and I have a partition that I want to copy it too.

4. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    I think mint has a backup/restore feature. Maybe you can make a backup, install Mint on a separate partition and restore your backup there?

5. Sop
    OP

Australia
    That just makes a backup of my home directory.

6. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Huh. I thought it would be a bit more useful as the recommended method for updating is (as far as I know) to backup, reinstall new version and restore.