Moving mint4win to a partition.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys, I used mint4win to install Linux Mint and I would to like to move it to a partition. The wubi migration script for ubuntu doesn't seem to work with Mint. (had to use mint4win as no disc drive and dell laptop with bios password (dell passwords are stored in eeprom, so I cant just take out the battery)).\

Sorry for Linux noobness, but I've searched for this and couldn't find any answers.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=22553
Kind of an old thread, but some of it is still useful.
You could probably go about with getting a list of installed packages (I think synaptic has the option somewhere) and then copying your home folder over. Then you just reinstall all the packages (I think synaptic can also handle that too) and should be, for the most part, done...unless you do slightly more deviant stuff with your mint4win than the naive user would (any packages you didn't get from the official repos, any scripts that you left somewhere else and not in your home folder, etc.)

-edit-
This does mean you have to reinstall a fresh LinuxMint partition to how you want before copying over everything.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=159&t=22553
Kind of an old thread, but some of it is still useful.
You could probably go about with getting a list of installed packages (I think synaptic has the option somewhere) and then copying your home folder over. Then you just reinstall all the packages (I think synaptic can also handle that too) and should be, for the most part, done...unless you do slightly more deviant stuff with your mint4win than the naive user would (any packages you didn't get from the official repos, any scripts that you left somewhere else and not in your home folder, etc.)

-edit-
This does mean you have to reinstall a fresh LinuxMint partition to how you want before copying over everything.
I do do some of that stuff.

Also, what do you mean a fresh partition? It's installed on my media/gaems partition and I have a partition that I want to copy it too.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think mint has a backup/restore feature. Maybe you can make a backup, install Mint on a separate partition and restore your backup there?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Huh. I thought it would be a bit more useful as the recommended method for updating is (as far as I know) to backup, reinstall new version and restore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte