movie torrent differences.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Narayan, Dec 28, 2012.

Dec 28, 2012

movie torrent differences. by Narayan at 5:31 PM (708 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. Narayan
    OP

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    just wanna know what's the difference between 2 torrents.
    1. EXTENDED.DC.720p.BluRay.DTS.x264-(torrent site) 7.96GB
    2. Extended 720p BRRip x264 aac vice 2.72GB

feel free to add some stuff you think i need to know about the tags too.

2. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Probably compression. Maybe the first one has lossless audio like FLAC, that makes a huge difference.

3. Narayan
    OP

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    like how huge?

4. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Flac sound can take up something like three to four times as much space as something like MP3.

5. Narayan
    OP

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    i meant, sound quality?

6. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Oh, right. Honestly the difference normally is not noticeable unless you have an insanely good audio setup. FLAC is pretty much for audiophiles only AFAIK.

7. Narayan
    OP

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    so there's not much difference in quality if i pick the second one over the first one if i have normal set up?

8. Mthodmn101

Member Mthodmn101 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    one has dts audio and one has aac, dts bitrate is 1501, aac is prob like 384 ... so sound in the 1st is a ton better
    the first one has a much higher video bitrate than the second one.

Narayan likes this.
  9. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    I used google for a bit and found the two torrents (Total Recall, right?). It seems the second torrent has triple bitrate for both video and audio. I'm not sure how noticeable that is, but it might be somewhat significant.
    Edit: :ph34r:

10. Chaossaturn

Member Chaossaturn ローレンス

United Kingdom
    It would depend on your sound system both the total recall torrents have 5.1 audio so it depends if your speakers support 5.1, it also depends on what software your using to watch the movie on. The larger of the two torrents has two audio tracks which is adding to the size:

Audio 1.......: English DTS 5.1 Ch 1510 kbps
    Audio 2.......: English Directors Commentary -OGG Vorbis 2 Ch 66.1 kbps

the larger torrent has a better video bitrate and higher quality audio so technically it is the better version but it all depends on a lot of factors if it the better version for you, such as: how big your screen is, how close are you sitting from screen, what resolution your TV is, what speaker system your using, is HDD space a issue.

Narayan likes this.
  11. Narayan
    OP

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    I'm just using a laptop, 1280x800 resolution, just laptop speakers. Though I occasionally use earphones. simple set-up.
    cccp+mpc

12. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    If you're sitting in front of your laptop you are pretty close to the screen, so quality differences will probably be more noticeable. I say go for the bigger version unless you are lacking HDD space.

Narayan likes this.
  13. Narayan
    OP

Member Narayan desu~

Philippines
    okay, thanks guys.

i actually don't have problems in disk space, it's just download time. since i don't have a very good connection, but i can wait for quality.

14. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    The second one would probably be your best bet. Both are just 720p, so both will give you generally the same visual quality, because at those sizes, compression will probably be the only difference. You don't need the super duper audio quality from the bigger one, ESPECIALLY if you're only using the laptop's default speakers. The only real reason now to go for bigger sizes is for higher resolutions and surround sound. If they're both 720p and stereo, the bigger one is pretty much unjustified.

PS. Grab Rurouni Kenshin. It's floating now out there, and it's fucking awesome. A bitch to get the proper non-garbled subs though, but there's one that has em.

Narayan likes this.
  15. Arras

Member Arras ★02

Netherlands
    Both 5.1 surround. First one has 7k bitrate vid, 1.5k audio. Second one has 2.1k vid, 0.5k audio. Even though the audio might not be noticeable, I think the video should be better as well.

16. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    Hmm... 7k bitrate. I dunno... I've seen video clips with as high as 12k bitrates and still show artifacts. And any self respecting uploader wouldn't really post a 720p video with "bad" quality, so unless you play them on really huge screens, it wouldn't really matter.

17. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Bitrate is tied to the codec, and which level is acceptable depends on the codec (as newer ones tend to do way more with a certain bitrate than older ones due to better compression, for example).