Motherboard failure or Brick?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by marioemblem, May 5, 2010.

May 5, 2010
  1. marioemblem
    OP

Newcomer marioemblem Member

United States
    Apparently I had a bricked wii and sent it to repair... the guys told me that I had to replace the motherboard, and i was investigating and read that changing the motherboard is an instant solution to a brick, so I told them not to change the motherboard (Yeah, I'm cheap)

So the question is, what are the symptoms of a Wii with a failing motherboard? Like, can you turn it on? How much does it load? things like that...

according to this chart, I have a fullbrick (I can't boot a disc > When I use SaveMii the number is displayed > but I didn't try to update it with an original disc with an update, e.g. NSMB)

[​IMG]

2. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    What Number\Firmware is displayed? Also do you have anymore info on the Wii? Did you purchase the Wii in this condition? If not have you installed anything recently
    What happens if you just power up the console?.

3. marioemblem
    OP

United States
    I haven't checked trying recovery mode... Can I inject bootmii as boot2 even if the homebrew channel doesn't load?
    And the guy I sent it to was pretty vague. He told me he tried to reinstall the operating system, but it didn't work and he was sure it was a hardware failure... but I'm pretty sure it isn't, according to what I've read...

4. mauifrog

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    what softmodding have you done? Do you have a mod chip?

I think you can fix it, and it probably is not a hardware issue. Also if your on 4.0, you should be able to use the fish disk to load indiana pwns if you did not patch ios60.

Possibly just a simple format with the fish disk would help, since you really did not install or uninstall anything.

5. marioemblem
    OP

United States
    I DON'T have a modchip, I onle did softmods. Also, I tried the SaveMiiFrii, and my system menu is 4.0U. I tried loading some of the original games I have, but nothing happened. What I haven't tried is entering recovery mode and using an original game disk that has a system update of 4.1U/4.2U... but then again, if it's a hardware failure (seeming less likely now...) it would be useless.

and 2 quick questions, Can I recover from a brick using SaveMii/SaveMiiFrii if I don't have a modchip?

@mauifrog, what is the fish disk? Would it work without a modchip?

And BIG thanks to those that have been helping. I tried posting in other forums and got no responses >_>

6. mauifrog

United States
    The fish disk is the Nintendo Backup Disk, It does two things, you can format the wii, and install savegame files, like Indiana Pwns.

Updating to 4.1 via say New Super Mario Bros, may fix the issue. I am not sure if the wii will run the update without a modchip. One thing that updating will do is block the fish disk from running, so you would not be able to use it if you did update to 4.1 and the issue persisted.

If you are softmodded, Did you install preloader? Did you patch ios60?

I don't think you will be able to fix this without a modchip, preconfigured to autoboot, region free enabled, and update blocks disabled. You can't configure the chip on your brick, so you need the seller to do it or another wii.

If it was mine, I would probably try my luck with the format. Then I would try to reinstall ios60 and SM 4.1, via dop-mii.

7. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    It should do the update, he said he's using a legitimate retail disc.

8. marioemblem
    OP

United States
    Hm... well, thanks to all. I'll try updating via savemii with NSMB... If that fails, I'll buy a modchip.

I'll tell you what happens. Thanks again for the help!

9. Thomas83Lin

United States
    You can Update via a Legit disc with a higher firmware in recovery mode . w\o a Mod-chip or hacks. although i'm wondering if updating would help him or make it worse.

10. Thomas83Lin

United States
    Loading a disc and updating with it are two different things.

11. Thomas83Lin

United States
    Theres not must proof of it, actually most sites says you can't, but they are wrong, ask bushing or test it thats all i can ask

12. Thomas83Lin

United States
    Sure we both can test, in the past i tested with 4.0 to 4.1 With NSMB but seeing as i dont have the game any longer i could test with one of the following

Mario Kart
    Wario Land
    Metroid Prime
    Super paper Mario

No Site or Info i could post would prove anything, Only testing yourself

13. Thomas83Lin

United States
    Use a Legit Disc No hacks installed.

I can make a Video if needed, But would it really prove anything.

Alittle info i did find

http://savemii.net/faq.html

Do I need a modchip in order to use SaveMii?

I'll be making a video shorty

14. Thomas83Lin

United States
    Soon as i get the video made i'll post it. the best i can do though is 3.0 to 3.1 with Mario Kart

edit: Video is uploading, 30 min to upload 10-15min to verify

15. Thomas83Lin

United States
    Specs:
    Freshly installed 3.0U\IOS30 No System Menu Hacks Or Mod-Chip This was the best i could demonstrate it . Also note the update process may take longer depending on what all it as to install, on my System it only had to install the system menu and maybe its IOS

16. Thomas83Lin

United States
    Well hopefully you figure it out, Cause there's no trickery. Hopefully this info can finally get sorted.

17. thesund0g

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    I think you're either quitting too fast (the update process is rather unglamorous), you're using something like an out of region disc/sm, you have some preloader hack installed that's conflicting, or a modchip that's introducing some sort of incompatibility. Check them all.

18. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    autoboot is triggered by a 0 or 1 as the first part of the game ID. update partitions show up as ".UPD" , ".UPE" , ect. the . in the update partition is a 0 or 1. so it is auto boot. hence, you can update from the recovery menu from a legit retail disc with no modchip or softmod.

19. marioemblem
    OP

United States
    I read all the posts. No wasted efforts [​IMG]

Thanks for the help BlackAce83 and DeadlyFoez, I have hope again that I'll be able to use my Wii.
    I'll try using NSMB and tell you what happens (but first I need to have a retail disc >_>)

20. mauifrog

United States
    If your 4.1 update via NSMB fails, it will be very dificult to fix your wii. The update will stub ios16, and remove any patched ios you have that may be loaded by games.

It would be good to know if you patched ios60 or not. If you did not patch ios60 and the 4.1 update fails, your only hope would be SSDm (nand fill) and modchip- if that fails your screwed.

With 4.0 and a modchip you can install indiana pwns, which would let you run just about anything. You lose that option with the 4.1 update.

If you did patch ios60, your safe.