On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)
OP
Trophies
Website
www.daviddavid.webs.com
XP
Country
Canada
Today i sat down and read the Charlie and the Chocolate factory 1940-60ish version.

I was surprised when i reached page 67, the oompa loompas where described as, "Minature Pygmies, skin was almost black"

Later in the book, "'Hello there' said wonka speaking oompa loompa. 'I found them in the jungles of Africa; i went father than any white man has been before. i found them in the trees, all they would eat is green Caterpillars (which taste disgusting), which they mushed up in mush. they spiced it with red beetles and ecylutive(?) leaves. they love cocoa beans, however they could find just about 4 per year. so i shipped them 3000 and all, in large containers."

Innocence?

Davess

Ps. I read this because my babash (Grandma) gave it to me.

Sephxus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
injected11 said:
There are even tons of old racist Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Don't forget Walt Disney hated the jews.
lecture.gif

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is calling someone's skin almost black racist? ha

Don't get brainwashed my media constant barrage of white guilt. :/

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I cant believe that you think that this is even an issue.

You cant get any more of a racist title than this and I guarantee you that Agatha Christie wasnt a racist.
2545c060ada0243ea3398110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
TwinRetro said:
A book before the Civil rights movement is racist.

yeah, this is non-news.

Well even well after the civil rights movement the pygmy references remained and were even illustrated.
WonkaOompaLoompa01.jpg

WonkaOompaLoompa02.jpg

Luckily the 1971 film chose to completely change the Oompa-Loompas to what we are all used to today. I doubt it would have been as palatable now if they didn't.

Ossot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is the most racist literature you've ever read, you're not well read at all, or only have experience with very contemporary texts.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
It may not be be directly racist but it certainly is offensive. It was offensive enough so that the original text was changed to be less so. To paraphrase.

"Hey so I went to Africa and found some midget black people who lived in trees. They only ate bugs. I captured them and shipped them off to my factory to work for me for free and gave them all the bugs they could possibly want to eat."

You guys dont see something a little wrong with that?

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lovecraft is like.. a billion times more awesomely and amusingly racist. He was American though, so it isn't really too surprising. I also love the name of one of his cats, ni**er-man
rofl.gif

Dahl on the other hand was.. odd...

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
It may not be be directly racist but it certainly is offensive. It was offensive enough so that the original text was changed to be less so. To paraphrase.

"Hey so I went to Africa and found some midget black people who lived in trees. They only ate bugs. I captured them and shipped them off to my factory to work for me for free and gave them all the bugs they could possibly want to eat."

You guys dont see something a little wrong with that?
Technically it shouldn't be any more disturbing than finding a troupe of Orange people and doing that to them. Of course orange people don't exist so its slightly better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ