Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now I fixed the problem. I had to move the boot3ds file from the starter file and place it on the root of my sd card. but another question is how do I get apps on the hombrew? I only get region free launcher

ah, ok, you just unpacked the file wrongly.
just move the 3ds and theme folder from the starter folder to the root of the sd card too. you can then remove the empty starter folder.

dang, new page.

if anyone has a lot of time, I've had lots of dumb questions a page ago
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-more-or-less-catch-all-tutorial.407080/page-20#post-5936490

Last edited by Clydefrosch,
Trophies
Country
Canada
ah, ok, you just unpacked the file wrongly.
just move the 3ds and theme folder from the starter folder to the root of the sd card too. you can then remove the empty starter folder.

dang, new page.

if anyone has a lot of time, I've had lots of dumb questions a page ago
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-more-or-less-catch-all-tutorial.407080/page-20#post-5936490
got it woks thanks!!! how do I get the manage save file app for genning pokemon games??? I don't always want to use my powersaves

Mizzetto937

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all, thank you for put all this info in one guide.

Can anyone help me ? I can't install browserhax once i downgraded, keeps crashing

I have the same issue. My O3ds is downgraded, the issue is that if I turn the 3ds on with the SD loaded it shows the black screen, and I can't access HomebrewLauncher by pressing L as before.
Basically, I'm stuck at .6 of the Downgrading guide. I tried to turn it on without the SD, insert the SD and change themes to uninstall Menuhax, but an error message shows up saying that the SD data was corrupted.

Even Browserhax doesn't work.

Last edited by Mizzetto937,

Daniele_997

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys, i really need your help. I have a n3ds xl with ironhax installed. I'm searching everywhere a way to install roms of 3ds games. Can you explain me how to do that? My firmware is the last(10.3.0-28E). What do i have to do? Downgrade and install a CFW? Can you link me a solution? Thank for everyone Who Wanna help me :)

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, i really need your help. I have a n3ds xl with ironhax installed. I'm searching everywhere a way to install roms of 3ds games. Can you explain me how to do that? My firmware is the last(10.3.0-28E). What do i have to do? Downgrade and install a CFW? Can you link me a solution? Thank for everyone Who Wanna help me :)

Everything you need to know is on the first page.

funtuna464

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, thank you for put all this info in one guide.

I have the same issue. My O3ds is downgraded, the issue is that if I turn the 3ds on with the SD loaded it shows the black screen, and I can't access HomebrewLauncher by pressing L as before.
Basically, I'm stuck at .6 of the Downgrading guide. I tried to turn it on without the SD, insert the SD and change themes to uninstall Menuhax, but an error message shows up saying that the SD data was corrupted.

Even Browserhax doesn't work.
I have the same issue. (I'm having so many issues)

WakingMavUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ok, I finally did everything. I even upgraded the emuNAND to 10.3.
I've installed the homebrew from the menu, I tried to run Monster Hunter x (cartridge) and it stays in black screen.
Could be the launcher buggy? Or maybe a problem with the version? I really can't give myself an answer, because with no cfw, just ninjhax, it worked in 10.2

Momisnom

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I'm already stuck at the Sliderhax step, when I click the right end of the slider, the bottom screen turns yellow for a moment and then I get a black screen with the message 'an error has occurred, hold down the power button to...'.

My 3DS firmware is 9.5.0-23E, I've placed the starter files (3DS folder, themes folder + boot.3dx file) onto my SD card's root and already tried replacing them as well. I made a bookmark for the sliderhax page and clear my cookies + history every time I try again, doesn't matter whether I do nothing or press A/tap the screen like I've read in other tutorials, the browser either freezes and boots me back to the Home menu or the above happens... :(

What did I do wrong? Help would be appreciated

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Open browser, in settings, delete history and cache. Hit home button. Hold l and r to open camera. On your pc, go to yellows8 site that has the qr code for sliderhax. The qr works better from my experience. Every time it fails, u need to delete cache and history or it wont work.

Reactions: AileenLumina

AileenLumina

Python main, software engineer and API designer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As people keep running into the same issues, I do feel the urge to help by redirecting them to my guide as it has always been a help to people. It's The easy, complete, comprehensive CFW Guide for everyone.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guide worked for me, but i do have to say that it is not wordy enough in places. For someone like me with no 3ds cfw experience, it should have had a bit more detail. And pics would go a long way. There are a few little half steps that are kinda skipped over in this tut. It definitely works, but isnt foolproof. Got mine running cfw over the course of 2 days. Probably spent 5+ hours on it. Now that i know what to do (partly figured things out myself and partly got help via pm with the op) it should only take an hour or so to do it again. (depending how long the sd backup and things like that take)
Overall a good guide, but definitely would benefit from some additional hand holding.

Last edited by V0ltr0n,

noobmeonce

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok can someone please help me out once more? I'm stuck for answers...
Whenever I try to boot into Homebrew browser from ctr_boot I get this message;

Everything else seems to work fine besides that... I even have emunand working properly and updated+disconnected from sysnand

Last edited by noobmeonce,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you reinstall menuhax properly? You could always try sliderhax to get to homebrew, then reinstall menuhax. Not too sure as i didnt run into that problem.

Reactions: noobmeonce

GabrielConnor

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello and thanks for your wonderfull guide. I successfully downgraded my NEW 3DS XL from 10.3 to 9.2 and I am not trying to follow the installing of CFW part of the guide.

I am downloading the software I'm gonna be needing and I got stuck in this part:

N3DS: firmware9.5.bin/firmware9.2.bin on Google. Rename to firmware.bin. That's all I can say. For good measure, also download ReiNAND 2.1. Extract its firmware.bin to rxtools/data. Rename to 0004013820000002.bin if using the Nightly or rename to 0004013820000002orig.bin if using the alternate version.

I am having such a hard time locating these firmware that I feel stupid. Could someone maybe PM me the correct file? Is there an MD5 I can check the file with to make sure I am DLing the right one?Do I need both firmware9.5.bin and firmware9.2.bin ? If yes, which one do I rename and put in my SD folder?

My question is probably incredibly silly, but I don't want to mess up my New 3DS!!!!

SSMatt123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
XP
Country
It's all worked fine up until the final step. EMUNAND boots fine and the health and safety loads the thing.

The problem is I can't install the cia's to SD... It says:

"Install Failed!
Could not install app
Raw Error: 0xc8a0802b
Module: AM (0x20)
Level: Status (0x19)
Summary: Invalid State (0x5)
Description: Database does not exist (0x2b)"

Anyone familiar with this problem?

pofer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all worked fine up until the final step. EMUNAND boots fine and the health and safety loads the thing.

The problem is I can't install the cia's to SD... It says:

"Install Failed!
Could not install app
Raw Error: 0xc8a0802b
Module: AM (0x20)
Level: Status (0x19)
Summary: Invalid State (0x5)
Description: Database does not exist (0x2b)"

Anyone familiar with this problem?

Q: I'm getting a "Database does not exist" / "Invalid database" error! A: You likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files.

Cornholio309

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I own a New 3DS, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the tutorial to install rxTools.

I've dumped the hs.app, placed it in the "input" folder along with the fbi_inject.app, and tried using Universal Inject Generator, but it seemingly didn't change anything. Is this step unnecessary, and am I just expected to rename fbi_inject to hs?

pofer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I own a New 3DS, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the tutorial to install rxTools.

I've dumped the hs.app, placed it in the "input" folder along with the fbi_inject.app, and tried using Universal Inject Generator, but it seemingly didn't change anything. Is this step unnecessary, and am I just expected to rename fbi_inject to hs?

donwload the latest version of FBI.cia

https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases

and this step is necessary, It'll create 2 files, one called FBI_no_banner.app (or something like that) and one called FBI_with_banne.app, just rename the one called "FBI with banner app" to "hs.app", place it at you'r SD card root and inject it again using decrypt9

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Response to SSMatt & pofer: (forgot to quote)
make sure to do this in emunand. i did it in sysnand and thought all was good and still failed. just a little while ago someone clarified it via pm for me. Not to sound ungrateful, but it seems alot of tutorials arent specific enough. Not just here, but i searched other placed for help and no tutorials i saw mentioned that it must be done in emunand. That may or may not be obvious to an experienced 3ds cfw user, but not so much to a noob.

Last edited by V0ltr0n,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock