Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Katanira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems to boot now, thanks! Got a new problem though. I set menuhax to trigger automatically without a button press (so I won't risk booting to sysNAND), which results in a second menuhax trigger as soon as rxtools is launching. Which means, that when I don't press anything to get into CTRbootmanager but press L after rxtools is booting, I actually get into emunand. If I don't do anything, I get kicked back into CTR (due to menuhax).

Anything I can do about it?

//Also, if I am e.g. in system settings in emunand and want to return to homescreen, I also get kicked back to CTR.

I'm not sure about getting kicked back to CTR, but I know I used oot3dhax instead of menuhax to run CTR, due to that problem of menuhax running twice.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For anyone who has setup everything on the n3ds, I just learned that when in emunand, you must close the lid and reopen it for the 3D effect to properly work.
Edit: Such a weird quirk of rxtools/emuNAND on n3ds.

Last edited by Katanira,

richardparker

Trophies
XP
Country
India
but
What the guide is saying is that you should use the third rxTools download linked in the guide if you're getting a black screen that you have to hard reset out of. Simply replace the rxTools in your SD card with that one and overwrite everything, don't delete. firmware.bin should still be inside the rxtools/sys/ folder afterwards and everything should work.
As for what the first part is all about, it's saying that a boot loop where trying to open rxTools just results in CTRBootManager opening again is because you're somehow triggering Menuhax whilst opening rxTools, since emuNAND would still have the Menuhax theme. If you set it to trigger when not holding any buttons, hold some buttons to get it to not trigger. If it's still set to trigger upon holding a button, don't hold any buttons. Simple as.

I really don't know what's up with your install.
CTRBootManager should look like this:

cbm.png

If you don't have the rxTools option, then something's definitely very wrong.
It's very well possible that either your SD card, its adapter or reader are defective, but you should only try to switch as a last resort.

Yeah, I believe so.
As the guide said, you could reset sysNAND instead of emuNAND during the linking process and that would work as well.
but now im getting a black screen on loading emunand and sysnand thru rxtools both.... :(

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
So, this guide isn't exactly the easiest.. But it worked great. The FBI injection for the n3ds was the toughest part for me.. Only because there wasn't a Readme on how to setup decrypt9. So I guessed til it worked.

It seems to boot now, thanks! Got a new problem though. I set menuhax to trigger automatically without a button press (so I won't risk booting to sysNAND), which results in a second menuhax trigger as soon as rxtools is launching. Which means, that when I don't press anything to get into CTRbootmanager but press L after rxtools is booting, I actually get into emunand. If I don't do anything, I get kicked back into CTR (due to menuhax).

Anything I can do about it?

//Also, if I am e.g. in system settings in emunand and want to return to homescreen, I also get kicked back to CTR.

Unlink your nands.. Menuhax is still trying to load in emunand.

I'm having trouble getting rxtools. The dropbox link on the site doesn't work.
Edit:
rxTools works, but I cannot inject FBI. I get Error opening 0:fbi_inject.tmd!
N3ds or o3ds?

Reactions: AnukWolf

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
open the provided boot.cfg in notepad on your PC. delete the script that is already there. copy/paste the script from the tut into the notepad, save, done.

DrakeLyon

Console Perfectionist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I'm still waiting for CFW to support the latest firmware. I don't really like the idea of downgrading, even if it's safe. If I'm not on the latest firmware, I'll always have the feeling that I'm missing something lol.

AnukWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Unlink your nands.. Menuhax is still trying to load in emunand
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I foolishly thought that unlinking is just for unlinking the nnid on one nand to prevent bugs with that. And cause my sysnand wasn't linked to one, I thought I wouldn't have to do it.
Anyway, it works now, thanks again!

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I foolishly thought that unlinking is just for unlinking the nnid on one nand to prevent bugs with that. And cause my sysnand wasn't linked to one, I thought I wouldn't have to do it.
Anyway, it works now, thanks again!
You're welcome! :) had this issue too.. Didn't figure it out til 30 minutes later.

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im on the step where it says go to rxtools.zip and find release/tools/fbi injection....i dont see it. i got the rxtools that was said to download if u get blackscreen. the site is currently down to download any others btw due to too much traffic. can someone help this desperate noob? :)

i have 00000000.TMD and 00000005.app on my sd.

UPDATE: NVM, found it in the other rxtools download. smh

Last edited by V0ltr0n,

Teton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have successfully unlinked my emunand and my sysnand. But now my legitimate games boight from eshop dont show up in emunand, i suppose that's normal?

How would i act in order to buy a new game from the eshop, since my sysnad isnt up to date? (or update/delete my sysnad games)

Last edited by Teton,

Shirako

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can someone help me with cfw, i have two downagraded o3ds both 9.2 and menuhax i already made my sd cards into emunand, but whenever i launch any cfw, it's always a black screen. I'm pretty sure i copied firmware.bin into rxtools. if i launch pasta cfw, it's just a black screen, if i launch rxtools, it goes to the installation data suite, and then second boot is just a black screen.

in rxtools, the top screen is black and the bottom screen is red. I tried both rxtools for both 3dss

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To anyone who has this working, can I get a copy of all your files? Without the files that can't be posted, of course. I'm not sure if my firmware.bin is wrong or my other files are. I got homehax and old 3ds, if that helps.

Either I get a red screen or can't found native_firm 4. I really didn't know what to do here. Funny enough, I had better luck finding the slot0x25KeyX.bin then getting rxtools or firmware.bin fully working.

Wow, it suddenly started to work. Idk what I even did differently.

Last edited by KingVamp,

wallacepower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
During this step for 9.2
12. Hold L while opening rxTools to enter the rxTools Menu

I got the "rxtools failed to load native_firm: 4"

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can finish this, but I need this resolved.
rxTools performing Installation at every boot is not normal; there was a way to fix this through downloading the files the installation data suite is supposed to spit out, but I can't link those.

The FBI .app and .tmd files corresponding to what Advanced > Install FBI > emuNAND > Check TMD tells you go in the SD card root.
If you're on a N3DS, you'll have to inject FBI to Health & Safety manually with this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-inject-any-app-into-health-safety-o3ds-n3ds-cfw-only.402236/
OK, so what version is the second rxtool is exactly? Maybe downloading the next one up will fix this. Otherwise I'm stuck between a working, yet unreliable tools that have too keep restalling and the other one that can't even detect the firmware correctly.

Anyone else having this problem?

Clarification.
9. SysNAND and EmuNAND are now two seperate entities. As long as you're ABSOLUTELY SURE you're in EmuNAND, it's safe to run System Update.
If you'd like to keep your sysNAND data in your emuNAND, use TinyFormat on your sysNAND instead. Of course, you'll have to install FBI to sysNAND first.
NOTE FOR N3DS USERS: Since 9.6+ firmwares aren't accessible on emuNAND, you'll have to update to 9.5.0-23 through sysUpdater or stay on 9.2.0-20 for the time being.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want my sysNAND data on emuNAND and wipe my sysNAND instead? Once I separate them, can I always relink with the same ID? I only need one linked at a time, correct? Is there any reason to go back to sysNAND once I wipe it, except Dsiware? How are spotpass and streetpass between two NANDs? System Update can be run from the system itself, there isn't another thing to download? Finally, so old 3ds can update directly to 10.3 on EmuNAND?

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can finish this, but I need this resolved.

OK, so what version is the second rxtool is exactly? Maybe downloading the next one up will fix this. Otherwise I'm stuck between a working, yet unreliable tools that have too keep restalling and the other one that can't even detect the firmware correctly.

Anyone else having this problem?

Clarification.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want my sysNAND data on emuNAND and wipe my sysNAND instead? Once I separate them, can I always relink with the same ID? I only need one linked at a time, correct? Is there any reason to go back to sysNAND once I wipe it, except Dsiware? How are spotpass and streetpass between two NANDs? System Update can be run from the system itself, there isn't another thing to download? Finally, so old 3ds can update directly to 10.3 on EmuNAND?
I'm not sure which version of rxTools the alternate download is, but the specific download you need is the "data" folder the IDS generates. I've seen this problem more than once and a quick search for "rxTools data folder" should turn up the right results to find the download.

As for your other queries:
#1, Nothing in particular, really.
#2, A NNID can only be linked to one console at a time. By formatting the linked NAND through TinyFormat, you'd be effectively locking yourself out of that NNID, as neither of the NANDs would recognize the NNID as not being linked or vice versa. It's poo, but it's the way Nintendo built the system.
#3, You don't really need a NNID linked at all to do things. You can either have two NNIDs for each NAND, have one or just have none.
#4, Nothing in particular comes to mind beyond the AGB/TWL Virtual Consoles.
#5, I've never tried it myself, but between two linked NANDs, it'd behave as one system Spot/StreetPassing regardless of the loaded NAND. Between unlinked NANDs, they would behave as two entirely different consoles.
#6, You can also update emuNAND through SysUpdater. I don't highly reccomend it, but it's an option.
#7, Yep. The New 3DS is the only model that can't upgrade past 9.5.0-23 due to having additonal security layers. As is my understanding of the subject, this is merely a slight inconvenience that means the N3DS requires "cryptofixed" .CIAs for eShop titles that require System Versions 9.6 and above. Cartridges, DLC and updates don't have this problem. As for when the N3DS will be able to update past 9.5, nobody is really sure of that.

LordVinz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Got everything working except I can't access the homebrew launcher anymore. Everytime I try to access it whether through browserhax or menuhax, it pops back "ZIP3DSFX v0.6" "ERROR opening internal archive!" "Press any key to reboot" with a black screen. Can't find any solutions googling. Any ideas or fixes?
Try to backup the SD card, format it and put in it only the files in starter.zip

Joeli53

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a really dumb question, but I have to ask since I'm unsure:

Given the incoming 10.4 update, if I decide to follow to the steps in the OP to enable Homebrew on my N3DS, I can just stay with that for access to emulators and decide later if I want to downgrade/install a CFW? Or do I have to go Homebrew ---> Downgrade ---> CFW before 10.4 drops? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto