Tutorial More-or-less Catch-All Tutorial

Switch CFW tutorial to focus on ReiNAND?

• Switch to ReiNAND (Lighter footprint, seems to work better in most systems, native regionfree TBD)

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Keep using rxTools (Unstable, build Dropbox host goes down every other day, generally troublesome)

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

thebatdadd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the cakesFW emunand firmware supposed to just say ver. 9.2.0-20U? How can I tell it's on emunand and not sysnand? I get the cakesFW boot screen, go to select patches, check everything (such as enable emunand, disable signature checks, etc), and then boot the CFW. Then when I go to system settings it still shows the firmware as ver. 9.2.0-20U. There's nothing to indicate it's on emunand as opposed to sysnand. I can't find anything online either showing how to confirm if cakesFW emunand installed correctly or not.

Is there any way I can check? I'm not going to try working with or updating my 'emunand' at all unless I'm 100% sure it's emunand.

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey man,I unlinked my NANDs and formatted my emuNAND from this toturial.The problem is both system's NNID are different now.Are there any possibility to restore my NNID in emuNAND?

Can I use "injection" function in rxtools to restore sysNAND's backup to emuNAND ?
Make both system's NNID same.
Thanks.:)

Ps. I'm o3DS

Sorry,my English isn't very well :P
I don't dabble with NNIDs very often, but theoretically reformatting your emuNAND through emuNAND9 would overwrite everything and give you your sysNAND NNID on it.
It's physically impossible for one NNID to be linked to more than one 3DS system, so if that's what you're after, give up, it won't work.
Is the cakesFW emunand firmware supposed to just say ver. 9.2.0-20U? How can I tell it's on emunand and not sysnand? I get the cakesFW boot screen, go to select patches, check everything (such as enable emunand, disable signature checks, etc), and then boot the CFW. Then when I go to system settings it still shows the firmware as ver. 9.2.0-20U. There's nothing to indicate it's on emunand as opposed to sysnand. I can't find anything online either showing how to confirm if cakesFW emunand installed correctly or not.

Is there any way I can check? I'm not going to try working with or updating my 'emunand' at all unless I'm 100% sure it's emunand.
Cakes does not have version string patching. All I can tell you is this:
Once you go into System Settings after knowing you're on CFW, it's safe to update. If you leave System Settings, it's no longer safe to update.
As for how you know you're on CFW whilst setting emuNAND up, that's a matter of holding L during CakesFW boot to go into the menu and verifying that the emuNAND patch is enabled, then booting to it and going into System Settings without hesitating.
And yes, I'm aware of how slightly worrisome that is, but as long as the emuNAND patch is enabled, it's good to go.
After that, it's a matter of seeing that your version is higher than 9.2.

Reactions: qaz855175b

leon1das

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

It happens to me too, but with rxTools. I do boot in emunand, but sometimes when I go to system settings, it says firm is 9.2.0-20U instead of "RX-E". It does not happens all the time, but it's annoying cause it doesn't let me install cia files with any of the installers (FBI, Dev, BBM). Yes, my NANDs are unlinked. Please help me!

Caseyfam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having a bit of a problem over here. I got my n3DS 9.2 cia pack from that iso site but the checksum isn't matching up. It should be e5f40c3b155cfd12ef38be35d2e81d2e but online md5 and other sites keep spitting out E6339468A1E82B1D50E9222F017C0477. I tried downloading the file through a different browser, but still no luck and I certainly don't want to risk another brick.

JokeTriple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had a strange bug with emuNAND. I (stupidly) formatted my system with the SD card removed because I wanted to try and fix a bug I had in sysNAND when failing to properly inject FBI into it. After I did the procedure to get menuhax and CTRBooter going again, I noticed that all of my titles in emuNAND were rewrapping themselves every launch. I read that this is because they were linked, so I assumed that the sysNAND got relinked after formatting it.

I used TinyFormat again and it unlinked the two and fixed the title wrapping issue, but NOW there's a strange bug where ithe titles I previously hhad are gone after the format, but still taking up space on my SD card somehow. I can't locate them in FBI by ID, and I don't know where to look to find them on my SD card on PC. Any help would be appreciated!

I feel like it might be due to using tinyformat in EmuNANd removing the Nintendo ID the .cias were related to.

Last edited by JokeTriple,

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of a problem over here. I got my n3DS 9.2 cia pack from that iso site but the checksum isn't matching up. It should be e5f40c3b155cfd12ef38be35d2e81d2e but online md5 and other sites keep spitting out E6339468A1E82B1D50E9222F017C0477. I tried downloading the file through a different browser, but still no luck and I certainly don't want to risk another brick.

It's possible that the checksums changed because of the update packages being tampered with.
I can't exactly check their validity, so all I can really point you towards is 'look into it further'.
According to this thread, the package might be good.

In other news: Just refactored the entire guide to streamline the process and get rid of unnecessary wordiness.
Most I really did was collapse the downgrade/update guides and the 4.0-8.1/9.0-9.2 guides into one for convenience's sake.

Caseyfam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible that the checksums changed because of the update packages being tampered with.
I can't exactly check their validity, so all I can really point you towards is 'look into it further'.
According to this thread, the package might be good.
Yeah the package actually was good. SafeSysUpdater gave me the all clear and I had a successful downgrade on a 10.3U n3ds

porko

Trophies
XP
Country
some great info here, thanks op!

i regret not up/downgrading an 8.1 o3dsxl and 10.3 o3ds when 10.3 was still the newest. now i have to mess around with browserhax and dns blocking, stuff i wouldn't have been aware of if not for this tutorial :)

Sgt. Lulz

Beef up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes along with the fbi.cia
Okay, I have one guess as to what's up with it:
Does the directory tree you're running 'go' from have any spaces in it?
Try putting it directly in your drive root before running it if that's the case.
Spaces in directory names are the bane of every script's existence.

mig the noob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have one guess as to what's up with it:
Does the directory tree you're running 'go' from have any spaces in it?
Try putting it directly in your drive root before running it if that's the case.
Spaces in directory names are the bane of every script's existence.

I have no clue what you mean. It keeps giving me the error that I did not make hs.app

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Employee code of conduct videos are awesome!!! Did you know eating the other employees is bad? I...