Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Here's the question:
Can MoonShell 2 be used to load commercial ROMs?

Why I thought it could work:
Let's take an example. DSision 2 was also a homebrew application used as a menu alternative, right? But with the right programming and stuff I can't understand, spinal_cord got to make it so that when you loaded a commercial ROM, that ROM would run with YSmenu instead and play the game. Now if we look at MoonShell 2 (Beta 10), there is this folder called "extlink" where, according to Densetsu3000's readme, says that "You can set MoonShell 2 to open filename extensions using external applications." At the same time, the same readme also states that "If you try to set an incompatible file for the Extended Link function, the file will just open normally."

To be honest, I have yet to try that with YSMENU in the extlink folder to see if it works or not; I will be doing that soon to find out. But if it doesn't work, is there any way to make it work like how spinal_cord's DSision 2 did?

EDIT: Dammit, I forgot that YSmenu doesn't work everywhere. I was gonna use it on EDGE where I keep everything...oh well, this topic should at least help those others who use YSmenu-compatible flashcarts. *takes out DSTT and does required testing*

EDIT 2: On recent testing, I found out that simply renaming the YSmenu.nds according to the extlink format (nds.YSmenu.nds) won't do. It does exactly what the second quoted readme line says; it opens YSMenu normally instead of auto-loading the NDS with YSMenu like DSision 2. Now this question I asked is seeming more and more useless for me.
unsure.gif

EDIT 3: What are you still doing here? http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149734 now go go go XD

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I know that such a system exists (albeit not for ROMS) in AKAIO.
If it works with DSision 2, it'll probably work with MS2, maybe with some tweaking.

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
What DSision does is simply edit YSMenu.ini's autostart line.

So the solution is to create an extlink compatible app that takes the filename and edits YSMenu.ini, then launches it.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
SWEET! now you can run moonshell as a standard ROM playing firmware for ds! 1 question though, does it support homebrew?

Blackiris

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@a2h
This must be what linoul did...is it?

@linoul
Oh s**t, if that does exactly what I think it does, then this question is answered =D

@sprogurt
Yes, MoonShell 2 originally supported just homebrew loading. Although, this thread says otherwise...
smile.gif

@sprogurt & jester13
Hmm, soft-reset...I believe I made an EDGE thread about that with no answer as of now...
In any case, if you check the MoonShell 2 thread there's an update for the soft-reset method and someone says it worked on a flashcart. (was it AK2?) It might work for people using different carts (and with the soft-reset files from the 8.2 package) other than what I confirmed that doesn't work; which is using EDGE.

So the soft-reset problem back to the firmware is the problem with priority right now, and not the "using MoonShell 2 to load a ROM with YSmenu and soft-resetting back to MoonShell 2" problem, unfortunately. But I do prefer that the prioritized problem be solved first, since this is just an extra; I'd be glad enough to have MoonShell 2 actually load a commercial ROM anyway
happy.gif

EDIT:
Oh wow. Thanks to all of you guys for posting here, I think I'm gonna make a new thread which will serve as a guide on how to load commercial ROMs with MoonShell 2 in a bit. I'm pretty sure it'll come in handy for the others, so someone please lock this thread?
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, there was a power outage while you were sleeping?