Homebrew Moonlight stop developing Moonshell?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB3000

Trophies
Website
wb3000.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess we can be thankful for this whole extra 2.0 series of builds he left us. A month ago it seemed this was the situation, with no more planned builds in sight.

If the sources are given, it will be interesting to see whether they compile right. He was using a bizarre compiler, wasn't he?

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Wow, poor Moonlight got completely screwed over.
Those M3Adapter mofos just lost my support.
mad.gif

Styles420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kuraudo39 said:
Does this mean no more Moonshell2?

Quite possibly, unless M3 reconciles their wrong doings, or someone else picks up where moonlight left off - but I don't think anyone in their right mind would feel right about that. Moonshell is almost like Moonlight's child, his pride and (until now) joy. If there is anything we, the community, can do to keep Moonlight in the game, I know we will all pitch in and do it. For now, we need to make sure that word gets out, DON'T BUY M3 ANYMORE until this is resolved. That may never happen, and if that's the case, then M3 needs to be forced out of the market through the removal of their customer base.

We may need to contact every flash cart dealer, and hope they will heed our cries for justice by stopping sales, or at least by promoting competitor cards - maybe we just need to start 'review bombing' every site we know, with bad reviews for M3 and good reviews for our replacement of choice.

Let the community be heard! We won't stand for greedy companies screwing over one of our favorite coders!

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WB3000 said:
He was using a bizarre compiler, wasn't he?
If you mean "bizarre" as in the official toolchain from ARM, then you are right - it's well over $1K to get a RVDS license.
Styles420Let the community be heard! We won't stand for greedy companies screwing over one of our favorite coders!
rofl2.gif
They've been doing it to their customers all along, now someone notices (off a bad translation no less)? I mean, it's not like their attitude has changed since they made a bundle off GBAMP
tongue.gif

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
cory1492 said:
Styles420 said:
Let the community be heard! We won't stand for greedy companies screwing over one of our favorite coders!
:lmao: They've been doing it to their customers all along, now someone notices (off a bad translation no less)? I mean, it's not like their attitude has changed since they made a bundle off GBAMP
tongue.gif
Not just customers, also other homebrew developers. Anyone remembers that Rudolph/GBA Exp loader incident? M3 is a shit company, it's time that fact finally settles with the mainstream public.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
As I already said it, you guys are jumping to conclusion..

We don't know what happened, we don't know anything besides that Moonlight is disappointed!

You all act as puppets, blindly believing everything you read!

And even if M3 Real IS CRAPPY company (as are all big companies
frown.gif
), it still doesn't change the fact that M3 Real is a fairly good cart!

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can't be bothered to compy and paste.
Click to read: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=129...p;#entry1711778

Moonlight has no argument and as he didn't make the card, he doesn't lose anything.
Besides this isn't the first time he stopped developing. (hint, the last moonshell release was ages ago)

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Antoligy said:
Moonlight has no argument and as he didn't make the card, he doesn't lose anything.

Do you seriously think that?
wtf.gif

You know as well as anyone here that until Moonlight started work on Sakura, the M3 Real had one weak point: a lackluster, non-intuitive, slow and clunky GUI.
The guy took the M3 Real and wound up creating something far superior to anything else on the market - a GUI so user friendly that a 5 year old kid could pick up and use it in minutes. And in spite of that, you think Moonlight doesn't deserve to be paid for his work?

Wow. I'm glad you're not my boss - I'd starve to death.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
unz said:
Antoligy said:

Do you seriously think that?
wtf.gif

You know as well as anyone here that until Moonlight started work on Sakura, the M3 Real had one weak point: a lackluster, non-intuitive, slow and clunky GUI.
The guy took the M3 Real and wound up creating something far superior to anything else on the market - a GUI so user friendly that a 5 year old kid could pick up and use it in minutes. And in spite of that, you think Moonlight doesn't deserve to be paid for his work?

Wow. I'm glad you're not my boss - I'd starve to death.
I agree with you on this totally!!
Tho I think that Moonlight was payed!! But not enough!! I think that there is a problem..

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This doesn't sound good... Almost makes me consider getting a CycloDS just for the sake of M3 losing my support. There's no way I'll recommend an M3 Real again until this gets resolved. This is inexcusable. First Rudolph now Moonlight. 2 of the best developers in the DS community both get screwed over by M3. They've lost my support. Time to go get a CycloDS.

Just Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
Well if you already have an M3 Real the only support you could possible give them is word of mouth. Once you've paid for the card, you've already given the majority of your support. After that it's pretty much the M3 Team supporting you.

Personally, I like to err on the side of caution until we learn more, although I doubt we will.

loony747

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. Shady business happens all the time, in many mediums.

I got an M3, and it's a good card. I feel bad for Moonlight, but that won't stop me from using the card I love.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I really do feel bad about M3 screwing over Moonlight, but as several have said before me it won't stop me from using an M3 Real. I still paid my hard-earned money to get one, and no matter what I'm not gonna stop using it. If any of you wear Nike shoes or Adidas hoodies or anything, well small children in Indonesian sweatshops work themselves to death to make them. We don't boycott them. I know this is on a bit of a different scale, but still. People get screwed over in the market. It's life, it happens. I know I won't buy another M3 card; if I ever upgrade it will be to another brand, but for now use what you have. Yes, Moonlight got the short end of the deal here. Yes, he deserves to be paid. No, I will not stop using a perfectly fine card just because of this. Let's think about this here - we at GBAtemp are a mere few percent of flash card users out there. If we did spread the word and got people to boycott M3 sales, well how big of an impact could we really make? 50% at the most? I dunno, I just think that a resistance would be futile, as many wouldn't know Moonlight nor would they care what the M3 team did to him. Believe me, I'm not one of those people. I may not know Moonlight, but like I said I do feel bad what M3 did to him. Review bombing would only damage our credibility here for spreading lies about the M3 cards. Sure, we could tell distributors what happened, but how many of them would actually care to stop selling M3 cards or promote competitors' cards? As long as the distributors can make money, they're not gonna stop selling products.

I apologize if I sounded arrogant, as that's not how I'm trying to come off as. I'm just saying it how it is right now. In short, we could try to do something about this but it may just backfire on us. It's a risky thing to do.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I guess I agree with Skyline969, but this is a really good excuse to go all the way and get the CycloDS!
tongue.gif

Anyways, I don't think it's just Moonlight here that's getting the short end of the stick. Of course we all know the Rudolph story, but the community has been getting ripped off too. We've been complaining about the M3 team for about half a year now, and this just adds to it. No other major flashcart company does all these highly controversial things, and I'm surprised M3 has gotten away with it for this long. I really doubt we'll see M3 in the flashcart community much longer if they keep this up.

Platinum*

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Styles420 said:
Kuraudo39 said:
Does this mean no more Moonshell2?

Quite possibly, unless M3 reconciles their wrong doings, or someone else picks up where moonlight left off - but I don't think anyone in their right mind would feel right about that. Moonshell is almost like Moonlight's child, his pride and (until now) joy. If there is anything we, the community, can do to keep Moonlight in the game, I know we will all pitch in and do it. For now, we need to make sure that word gets out, DON'T BUY M3 ANYMORE until this is resolved. That may never happen, and if that's the case, then M3 needs to be forced out of the market through the removal of their customer base.

We may need to contact every flash cart dealer, and hope they will heed our cries for justice by stopping sales, or at least by promoting competitor cards - maybe we just need to start 'review bombing' every site we know, with bad reviews for M3 and good reviews for our replacement of choice.

I'm sorry, but LOL. What should we tell them? 'M3 is being greedy and won't pay Moonlight!'
um k. That'll do as much as nothing. Just to give you a shed of light, Not every M3 User knows/cares about MoonShell. Besides, M3i is coming up and a whole new market will appear.

The M3's are coming, the M3's are coming! Ahh! Let's not buy their products and rebel! Viva la resistance!

I agree with loony. Boo hoo, so sad, you didn't get paid, so now you've gone mad. The world of flashcarts doesn't revolve around one application developer. So what? Moonlight is gone, Moonshell is gone? Someone will soon pick up the broken pieces of the glass and create a whole new vase. As far as i'm concerned, majority of the posts in this thread are pretty biased due to the fact on not having heard M3's side. Yes, if they didn't pay you, that's pretty sinister. But oh well, the world rolls on. thousands of people aren't going to be phased by one developer, no matter how great, who got shot shot down. Sorry, you all can make a huge deal about this, but it's not anything dramatic.

As for Sakura's fate, sure a '5 year old' could use it. It's half his fault for just throwing out firmwares into the open field to be picked up later on. He should have struck a deal with the M3 company before donating his applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.