Monster Hunter Ultimate 4 Fragmentation Error.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Scorchy, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Hello, when i'm booting MHU4 on the Gateway Rom Loader, it says ''Fragmentation Error'' and the game does'nt boot at all. I've heard that formatting the Mini SD and putting games back would work, but I'm have about 50GB of 3DS Games and I don't really want to backup all. Is there any fix for this problem? Thank you.

Btw, I'm using a genuine ADATA 64GB Class 10, I never had problem at all with any games before, it's the first time ever that this is happening. I've already tryed doing a Fragmentation of the Drive, but it did'nt worked.

2. acidmango

acidmango Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Canada
    You could try deleting MH4U from the card and putting it back on again.
    Basically all that's happening is that the chunks of the file aren't close enough together when it was stored onto the card. This happens when you delete something older than the last rom you put on the card. It creates a space in the structure. The only 100% way to fix it is to take everything off the card and put it back on again.

3. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    Reformat the whole SD card and put your games back on. This has happened to me twice now. The problem stops occurring when you have less space on your SD card. It quit happening around 8-12gb of used space for me.

4. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    You could use a defrag tool but it would take ages.

5. masterzero

masterzero GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 20, 2007
    why isn't this tool on a sticky or something?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-microsd-tool.369165/

Easy tool will fix the fragmentation error forever as long as you don't delete the really small file it creates , letting you do a true drag and drop of games and just remove single games when you're full of them

6. blinkzane

blinkzane Panic at your moms house

Jul 24, 2012
    United States
    Florida
    I had this happen with two different mh4 roms and gave up on it.I also cannot for some reason transfer them to my 16gb flash drive that I know isn't broken.

7. tehfogo

tehfogo Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2015
    United States
    Fragmentation errors usually happen when you're deleting roms and adding new ones in. This is just one of the downsides to using the exFAT filesystem. The best way to avoid this error is to just add roms onto the SD card without deleting anything. If you need space or want to get rid of anything on the SD card, just do a quick format on it and re-add them again.

8. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States

Yes try using _Tim_ 's tool.

9. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    I used the micro SD tool, it was quite hard to use, but now it works perfectly, thank you!

10. Steena

Steena GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 13, 2009
    Italy
    I have this issue coming up often, I just delete the file and put it into the SD again and it works.

Just curious, did your issue persist over multiple attempts to transfer the file?

11. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    This happened to me once on a copy of multiple roms to a freshly formatted card. What I've noticed is that if I'm doing something else while my PC is transferring the files, it for some reason has a higher-than-normal chance of creating fragments. Not sure if it's just me or a common problem, but I recommend leaving your computer alone while it's transferring, especially if you often get fragments

12. Scorchy
    OP

Scorchy Wanderer

Jul 4, 2014
    Canada
    Termina
    Thanks i'll be more careful, btw, I regret defragmenting my flash mini sd now, it appears that it worns the card faster :(