ROM Hack Discussion Mods & LayeredFS

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome!
So Many threads right now are dedicated to playing backups and how to get that setup with LayeredFS. However, I was someone who was really looking forward to modding my games, as it's a hobby of mine that I've always enjoyed doing. In this thread, I will go over what games I've tried to mod, and my results with them. Feedback would be great as well as any mods that you have successfully been able to run.

Can't get past Switch boot screen. Crashes with error code 2011-0301
Can't get past Switch boot screen. Crashes with error code 2011-0301
Can't get past Switch boot screen. Stuck in an loop
Was able to get mods to launch by switching my exefs folder and data.rsdk back to their 1.0 counterparts. Mods run well.
2018062119502900-1628E0CE3F839127054B0EE36E28E52A.jpg
(Mod used by Puyo&SonicFAN https://gamebanana.com/skins/162891)
Certain mods work, tried to replace Inkling Girls files with the base game files (where she has the "Up Yours" taunt), but it failed to replace it. However, using this mod here: https://gamebanana.com/skins/163678 (All credit to Hallow and who he credited) I was able to get results.
2018062012525700-16851BE00BC6068871FE49D98876D6C5.jpg

However, some tracks wil cause a flicker on him, some work fine, and he just doesn't show up for others. I've included the file If you'd like to test it yourself.
https://gamebanana.com/tools/6402
Link to the script I used (KillzXGaming made it)

In Conclusion, I hope you've found this thread Helpful, Inspiring, Informative, etc., and am looking forward to some great mods by the community.]

P.S. If you get any error using LayeredFS, MAKE SURE TO CLEAR YOUR LOGS. SciresM said he uses custom errors in order to debug his work.

Attachments

• 2018062012532600-16851BE00BC6068871FE49D98876D6C5.jpg
    2018062012532600-16851BE00BC6068871FE49D98876D6C5.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 709
  • 2018061922171500-1628E0CE3F839127054B0EE36E28E52A.jpg
    2018061922171500-1628E0CE3F839127054B0EE36E28E52A.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 880
  • Hallow's Metal Sonic.zip
    2 MB · Views: 698
Last edited by Quantumcat,

Insidious611

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyrim: Extract Skyrim.ini from the RomFS with a RomFS browser and modify it, adding any bsas to the end of sResourceArchiveList and any esps as a new sTestFile entry. Put Skyrim.ini romfs/, put your PC mods in romfs/Data. Any Skyrim Special Edition mod that doesn't use SKSE or textures (textures are apparently in a different format) should work. Personally I'm using Ordinator and a mod that adds cheat chests to Riverwood successfully.

Example bits from skyrim.ini:

sTestFile1=Dawnguard.esm
sTestFile2=HearthFires.esm
sTestFile3=Dragonborn.esm
sTestFile4=Hyrule.esm
sTestFile5=Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
sTestFile6=Cheating Chests - Riverwood.esp
I think you can only go up to sTestFile10, so that's a limit on the amount of mods you can install this way.

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes0.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes1.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa, Skyrim - Hyrule.bsa, Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.bsa, Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim - Textures.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices_en0.bsa, Skyrim - Voices_en1.bsa, Skyrim - Textures0.bsa, Skyrim - Textures1.bsa, Skyrim - Textures2.bsa, Skyrim - Textures3.bsa, Skyrim - Textures4.bsa, Skyrim - Textures5.bsa, Skyrim - Textures6.bsa, Skyrim - Textures7.bsa, Skyrim - Textures8.bsa
bLoadArchiveInMemory=1
sArchiveToLoadInMemoryList=Skyrim - Animations.bsa

You'll notice I did enable Ordinator's Textures. That's because I was afraid it wouldn't work without them and I figured it would just show up as glitchy. I haven't noticed anything weird yet.

Last edited by Insidious611,
Reactions: KingDavid1502

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Mania works fine for me:
https://twitter.com/_Mizumi/status/1008893974466187264

surprised you got Metal Sonic working in MK8D. Unless you didnt straight up just take the files, and actually ported them.
I saw, I'm going to update the thread as I got it partially to work. I think it's because I'm using the RSDK from the Update NCA I decrypted. The creator gave a dope.csv with his mod, so I used that and the BFRES Script to port it.

Reactions: Sonicbrawler

Tex_McBladeSword

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tryin out BOTW stuff myself. Do you have updates installed when trying to launch the game? My copy is on the latest update and I feel like maybe that has something to do with the issue. Other people have reportedly gotten some things working but I havent found any useful info on HOW theyve done it

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tryin out BOTW stuff myself. Do you have updates installed when trying to launch the game? My copy is on the latest update and I feel like maybe that has something to do with the issue. Other people have reportedly gotten some things working but I havent found any useful info on HOW theyve done it
I got it working, I’ll update the thread later.

supermariorick

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the latest LayeredFS built in to the latest hekate ctcaer mod, Breath of the Wild not only loads but mods like the infinite bike fuel, unbreakable weapons, and the Master Sword shoots guardian lasers all work without converting. texture and model mods are being reworked for compatibility with the Switch version. Save mods work completely with checkpoint and the online save editor as well as the gui homebrew tool.

Xenoverse 2 mods have a lot of hurdles as the ones that do work only work without any updates or DLC. To get it working on the latest version would require extracting the game files from the latest update and using those for up to date mods with the latest version and there seems to be issues extracting the biggest 600~ mb update nca file. Save edits do not work at this time because the decryption tool is not compatible with the Switch version save and how the save is encrypted is different than the PC version so making a decryption tool will prove to be difficult even though most Xenoverse 2 modding tools are open source and could probably be forked with adjustments for compatibility with the Switch version game files.

And most games now load in LayeredFS in general due to latest update of both hekate ctcaer mod which comes with the updated LayeredFS.

Tex_McBladeSword

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok. I Should note that ive only yried with the native Layeredfs in SXOS which is probably outdated, and was using mods meant for wii u, hoping theyd be out-of-the-box compatible

EDIT: I have gotten the game past the title screen, but it freezes when trying to load replaced assets

Last edited by Tex_McBladeSword,

RetroGamer732

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, ok. I Should note that ive only yried with the native Layeredfs in SXOS which is probably outdated, and was using mods meant for wii u, hoping theyd be out-of-the-box compatible

EDIT: I have gotten the game past the title screen, but it freezes when trying to load replaced assets
If there from version 1.0.0 of the game, that tends to happen. Get 1.5.0 files and try again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I'm waiting to update BOTW specifically as there's a mod I'm working on that I want to show off.

Naked_Snake

Constant Miscreant
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Skyrim: Extract Skyrim.ini from the RomFS with a RomFS browser and modify it, adding any bsas to the end of sResourceArchiveList and any esps as a new sTestFile entry. Put Skyrim.ini romfs/, put your PC mods in romfs/Data. Any Skyrim Special Edition mod that doesn't use SKSE or textures (textures are apparently in a different format) should work. Personally I'm using Ordinator and a mod that adds cheat chests to Riverwood successfully.

Example bits from skyrim.ini:

I think you can only go up to sTestFile10, so that's a limit on the amount of mods you can install this way.

You'll notice I did enable Ordinator's Textures. That's because I was afraid it wouldn't work without them and I figured it would just show up as glitchy. I haven't noticed anything weird yet.
You can also disable hyrule and replace it with something else

Whovian NineThreeSixNine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, I got a very basic Credits mod to work on Sonic Mania (Removed a lot of the credits and replaced one of the remaining ones with "Some guy" by using http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=37174

Unpacked the Data.rsdk file, edited what I wanted, and repacked it. Loaded that new Data.rsdk via LayeredFS, and it worked perfectly on the updated game! :D

Edit: Right after I posted that, the game froze the console on me. Thanks, Universe. Time to find the updated NCA and try to modify that... instead.
(Sidenote: Thanks, games that use one main file to hold all the content!)

Last edited by Whovian NineThreeSixNine,

:-infern:

GBAtemp Legend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to mod without having to extract the entire romfs file? it seems to be a huge waste of space having the cart and all the rom files on the sd card as well

Wolfy

Person That Never Was
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to mod without having to extract the entire romfs file? it seems to be a huge waste of space having the cart and all the rom files on the sd card as well

I don't believe you need to extract everything, just find a mod online and set it up with the titleid for LayeredFS and it should work.

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BOTW stuff works great for me, running latest game update on 5.1.
Make sure you are not using the wii version of mods, they will crash the game on start.
Also I had problems with certain mods when I was on 3.0.2 so maybe it's a firmware issue as well.

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Does one of you guys know how to unpack bactorpack files of BotW ? I tried with BotwUnpacker, it decode right but fail to unpack switch files while no problem with WiiU files...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person