Modifying Guitar Hero through ppf patch

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by squiwwel, Aug 17, 2008.

Aug 17, 2008
  1. squiwwel
    OP

Newcomer squiwwel Member

South Africa
    Hello,

I am on a 384kbps line and it's quite an effort to download all the different custom versions of Guitar Hero. Is it possible to download all the required songs and then insert the custom songs via a ppf patch?

2. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    a PPF patch would be pointless as you'd still need to download a couple GBs of new songs, but you can do what CosmoKramer says:

3. squiwwel
    OP

Newcomer squiwwel Member

South Africa
    Awesome! I'll give that a go.

4. siggy2guitar

Newcomer siggy2guitar Advanced Member

United States
    they should stop makin torrents of an entire game, and just make a ppf patch so it is much quicker to download

5. trent_fox

Member trent_fox GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Torrents can work out quite similarly to a ppf patch if you follow the above instructions. If you point a custom download to an ISO of guitar hero 3 or another custom, then the torrent program will go through and keep the data that is the same. Like CosmoKramer said, it'll work out to over 50% of it being the same and thus not needing to be downloaded.

6. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Not always.

Sometimes you'll run into CRC issues.

7. Spikey

Member Spikey Your Special Someone

United States
    Be grateful people even make customs for you to grab in the first place. If all of y'all wanted, you could make the customs yourself. It's totally possible. But if you want to download ones other people made, don't bitch about it and take what you get as is. No one owes you anything, so don't expect it. People put a lot of time into making prebuilt custom discs, and it's simply disgusting to see you guys bitching about the way it's done.

Now, I apologize if I went a little overboard there, but my points remain.

8. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    I agree [​IMG]

9. felix123

Member felix123 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    There's no need to apologize. People who don't contribute have no right to be so picky.

10. siggy2guitar

Newcomer siggy2guitar Advanced Member

United States
    actually i do make customs, but can never get half the songs to work, and i was just making a suggestion.

11. squiwwel
    OP

Newcomer squiwwel Member

South Africa
    The reason I think ppf patches are a good idea is because some of us have limited bandwidth. I receive 3gb a month on a 384kbps line, so just to download a custom game I have to buy more bandwidth. Not everyone is as lucky as you guys in America. It can cost me almost $50 in bandwidth costs (excluding the line) to download a Wii game.

12. F0ur2o

Member F0ur2o GBAtemp Regular

Canada

So finally a case where its cheaper and more convenient to just go and buy the game..??

Most of the time.

13. squiwwel
    OP

Newcomer squiwwel Member

South Africa
    Well I wouldn't be able to buy a custom Guitar Hero game, would I [​IMG] But there are of course some ways to get around prices and download games at a more affordable rate - albeit with limited options. For example, if I were to download a 5gb file over an international torrent tracker it would cost me roughly $10 per gb. There is a local news server (Usenet) that mirrors an international one, and that costs me about $0.70 a gb (I pay roughly $22 for 30gb). But with the news server there are a lot less options. I also have to pay for a line rental and ADSL rental (which costs around another $42). So say I wanted a 384kbps line with 30gb to download from a news server and 3gb to browse international sites, it would cost me:

$42 rental
    $22 for 30gb local
    $30 for 3gb international

= around $100 for internet access a month (I usually spend a lot more then this). This is all thanks to our monopolistic telecoms company [​IMG] But there is hope as competition is on the way!