Modify some text of TWEWY ?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Undi, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Undi
    OP

Undi The guy under your bed

Feb 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Hi !

I'd like to change some texts on the Rom of the game "The World Ends With You", on the NDS, but it contains no .Narc file, just a lot of .bin files, and when I works with a Hex editor, I can't find any text.

The only file I have found containing some text is the mestxt.bin file, but he is SOOOOO messed up...

I tried to go through the hex while short on the .nds file but we will say that the Rom is encrypted, because I can't find anything...

If you have a solution that will cool, thank you!

PS: I attached the specified file to my post.
    PSĀ²: Sorry for my bad english !

Attached Files:

2. joesteve1914

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    The text is not encrypted, it uses a custom encoding.
    [​IMG]
    A simple relative search will get you the text. I used this one because it's the only i got working on x64 windows but there are many others-
    http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/513/

The text is 16bit encoded rather than 8 so you will need to use the wildcard function in that program.

3. Undi
    OP

Undi The guy under your bed

Feb 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't understand how to use the wildcard.
    Sorry again...

4. joesteve1914

joesteve1914 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 31, 2012
    United States
    Click 'Enable wildcard'.Then when you want to use a wildcard type *.

Since the game is 16 bit encoded, it uses 2 bytes for a letter instead of one. (8bits=1byte, 16bit=2bytes)

So instead of this
    3A=a
    you have this
    3A00=a

The wild card simply is a placeholder for an unknown value. monkey moore only supports 8 bit tables, so how will you account for the second byte? You use a wildcard. The screenshot of the program on that link that I posted above should give you an idea of what I mean.