Votes: 13 8.8%

• Total voters

jfivej5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this guide was awesome man thanks alot. now that i am all done is there anything that needs to stay on the sd card in order to keep things running smoothly? or is it ok to delete most things and just fill up my apps folder?

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jfivej5 said:
this guide was awesome man thanks alot. now that i am all done is there anything that needs to stay on the sd card in order to keep things running smoothly? or is it ok to delete most things and just fill up my apps folder?
you got it man.
load it upp and backup the files when you want to hack another wii.

hollyw00d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
powdrdog said:
I'm trying to work through the same issue hollyw00d. I'll post any success/failure I may have.......

************EDIT*************

hollyw00d - re-read step 6 - my problem was that I didn't UNINSTALL the IOS's after installing them!!! After that, no -1035 error

haha wow, after all these guides all of the words kind of flow together and you misread them sometimes. Thanks for pointing out the obvious to me, geez.

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Budweiser said:
How many wads can be installed, what is the wii's total size limit ..
by filling this up does this hurt memory for something important?
the wii has 512mb of flash memory inside.

no it doesnt hurt the memory for something else, just your saves and dlc and used in it.

to save space, look for forwarder type channels.

super88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yo,

BIG BIG Thanks man. I'm a (very) occasional wii modder and i jumped from 3.2u to the mod KongsNutz had on his yafaze page.

I got that up and working with little problem and then I decided since I had a NAND backup already done, what the he!!, I'm going to do the Nintendo 4.2 System Update. I had bootmii and HBC installed before that, but something wasn't working right. I tried to follow the steps once again in his guide (it worked fine the first time), but I kept running into a TBR (can not downgrade IOS15) problem.

I found your guide and once I made sure I was reading carefully
wink.gif
it went off without a hitch.

I though this would have taken me a lot longer, but nuff respect for the guide.

I wanted to get your opinion (I'm not one to look too much under the hood, as long as the engine is running I'm happy, y'know?)...what are the similarities/differences between what I did the first time and what I did using your guide the 2nd time (after I did the 4.2u system update)? Right now it looks like I have both Bootmii and Preloader running...should I delete one of them? Any problems in letting them both run? I'm still not able to downgrade IOS15 but I'm not sure if I have to...

Thanks to you and all those that made this possible!

bevardimus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
After much testing and backing up and restoring and repeating, I have discovered an issue I can't resolve. After performing all the steps in this guide (version 4.2u), if you then go to the Wii shop channel (or connect to a Nintendo server in any way), the Wii then "knows" something is hacked and won't allow a network connection afterward AND will require a Nintendo update if you want to use the disc channel for any recent games. Now, I realize I can use a homebrew disc loader (such as gecko) to start up the disc, but I can't get around this network issue! Is there any way around this? Some other step I can take?

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bevardimus said:
After much testing and backing up and restoring and repeating, I have discovered an issue I can't resolve. After performing all the steps in this guide (version 4.2u), if you then go to the Wii shop channel (or connect to a Nintendo server in any way), the Wii then "knows" something is hacked and won't allow a network connection afterward AND will require a Nintendo update if you want to use the disc channel for any recent games. Now, I realize I can use a homebrew disc loader (such as gecko) to start up the disc, but I can't get around this network issue! Is there any way around this? Some other step I can take?
hmmm, i think your crazy.
i go online and connect to gaming servers all the time on my 4.2 wii.
hacked with this method.

It's probably your location or something.

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
super88 said:
Yo,

BIG BIG Thanks man. I'm a (very) occasional wii modder and i jumped from 3.2u to the mod KongsNutz had on his yafaze page.

I got that up and working with little problem and then I decided since I had a NAND backup already done, what the he!!, I'm going to do the Nintendo 4.2 System Update. I had bootmii and HBC installed before that, but something wasn't working right. I tried to follow the steps once again in his guide (it worked fine the first time), but I kept running into a TBR (can not downgrade IOS15) problem.

I found your guide and once I made sure I was reading carefully
wink.gif
it went off without a hitch.

I though this would have taken me a lot longer, but nuff respect for the guide.

I wanted to get your opinion (I'm not one to look too much under the hood, as long as the engine is running I'm happy, y'know?)...what are the similarities/differences between what I did the first time and what I did using your guide the 2nd time (after I did the 4.2u system update)? Right now it looks like I have both Bootmii and Preloader running...should I delete one of them? Any problems in letting them both run? I'm still not able to downgrade IOS15 but I'm not sure if I have to...

Thanks to you and all those that made this possible!
you updated to 4.2
that updated your IOS's , boot2, and installed stub [broken] IOS's where you cIOS was.
Trucha Bug restorer does not work on 4.2, as the exploit is fixed.
No there is no problems letting Bootmii and preloader run at the same time, its more brick protection.
You have to use the cboot2 method in the guide to install cIOS again.

bevardimus

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK I'm going to list out exactly what I've done, and maybe someone here will notice something and be able to help me out:

1) I stupidly updated through Nintendo to 4.2u before checking online that it was a safe update to perform. After noticing it deleted my homebrew channel I became alarmed and quickly came to this site. I should mention that I only ever installed the homebrew channel and the movie player codec (or whatever it is) on my Wii; I never screwed with IOSes or any serious hacking because I only ever used the homebrew channel for emulators and the movie player.

2) After a surprisingly short amount of time, this guide was updated for 4.2 and I followed it step by step to restore my homebrew channel. This was the first time I ever made a NAND backup and the first time I ever screwed with IOSes. Guide worked great and everything seemed perfect.

3) I loaded the disc I had in at the time (Tiger 10) to make sure it worked, and it did.

4) I then went to the SD card menu to make sure it still worked, and my Wii froze up.

5) I restarted the Wii and noticed that the disc channel now displayed "Wii system update" instead of Tiger 10.

6) I then tried to connect to the internet (through Wii settings --> connection test) and couldn't get a connection. Homebrew channel wouldn't connect either. It seems that my Wii is blocking my internet access until the system update is performed, even though my settings menu confirms that I am indeed on 4.2u already.

7) I used my NAND backup to restore my Wii to the point I backed it up using this guide (so right after installing homebrew channel, movie codec, and bootmii on boot2). Tiger 10 showed up fine and I could connect to the internet just fine at this point, so I decided to leave it as is and not continue with the other steps in this guide, figuring I wouldn't need to if I'm not going to be using any backup loaders (am I right about this part?)

8) I used ANYTITLE DELETER to remove photo channel, news channel, and forecast channel (I hated having them on my Wii menu).

9) I boldly decided to browse the Wii shop channel and noticed the internet channel was updated, so I updated it. And behold, Tiger 10 was once again replaced by the "Wii system update" notice on the disc channel. This time however, I am still able to connect to the internet, but NOT to the Wii shop channel.

My conclusion is that by connecting to Nintendo's server (via Wii Shop Channel), I alerted Nintendo to the fact the my Wii is hacked and it is now blocked from having disc channel access and WSC access. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Now, an obvious solution would be to restore my Wii again using NAND backup and simply not use the Wii Shop Channel. However, I would like to use it! I occasionally buy WiiWare games there and refuse to steal them cuz I support the idea of fresh, download-only games SOOOOOO MUCH and if everybody just pirates them off the internet they won't get made anymore (or quality will suffer).
Somebody please let me know if there is a way around Nintendo's blocking of my shop channel and disc channel access!!! Also, please read step 7 above carefully... am I right about that?

uofatest

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed your 3.x-4.1 guide exactly and then installed Neogamma r7. Everything works perfectly except burned Game Cube games will not load save files from official Game Cube games using Neogamma. I've heard GameCube Backup Launcher 0.2 ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=142535 ) solves this problem but I am afraid I will brick my Wii if I try to install it. Would this be safe to install and if so could someone elaborate on the install steps for me. I read the readme but I'm still unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LUGiA

Trophies
XP
Country
plz help cant get it to run

I am trying to do the 4.1 Method. I got the files via email and put the files on my SD Card as displayed in the screenshot. i then put the SD card into my Wii and when to Wii option, Data mangement, SD Card.

Wgen i click SD Card it freeze my Nintendo Wii and i get no message to runboot.dol...what am i doing wrong (i am using PAL files with 4.1E FW)

onad0301

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a quick one....do you need hbc already installed before using this new package... this is the third pack idownloaded...everytime i go to softmod my wii... something new appears...

so right now i have nothing on my wii... emailed for the latest pack for offline method...am i a go to do this...or do i have to follow another guide?

thanx onad

xzxero

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
uofatest said:
I followed your 3.x-4.1 guide exactly and then installed Neogamma r7. Everything works perfectly except burned Game Cube games will not load save files from official Game Cube games using Neogamma. I've heard GameCube Backup Launcher 0.2 ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=142535 ) solves this problem but I am afraid I will brick my Wii if I try to install it. Would this be safe to install and if so could someone elaborate on the install steps for me. I read the readme but I'm still unsure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
it should the same thing, the backup launcher resides within the cMIOS.

Henry Hatsworth said:
plz help cant get it to run

I am trying to do the 4.1 Method. I got the files via email and put the files on my SD Card as displayed in the screenshot. i then put the SD card into my Wii and when to Wii option, Data mangement, SD Card.

Wgen i click SD Card it freeze my Nintendo Wii and i get no message to runboot.dol...what am i doing wrong (i am using PAL files with 4.1E FW)
try using another version of bannerbomb

QUOTE(onad0301 @ Oct 5 2009, 08:25 AM)
Just a quick one....do you need hbc already installed before using this new package... this is the third pack idownloaded...everytime i go to softmod my wii... something new appears...

so right now i have nothing on my wii... emailed for the latest pack for offline method...am i a go to do this...or do i have to follow another guide?

thanx onad
no you dont need any previous hacks to follow these guides.
i have been updating so much lately, trying to get things in place, but this time i think i got it all sorted out.

so yes, your good to go.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Everything worked fine until I got to the following step:
12] Run Wad Manager
When it opens choose use IOS249. (it is probably already set to that)
Press A to open from SD.
Install IOS70-64-v6687 [Patched][FreeTheBug].wad and exit.

I get "Select NAND emulator device: < Disabled >" so I set it to "< SD/SDHC Card >" and press A.
After that I get "Select source device: < Wii SD Slot >" and press A.
I get "Mounting device, please wait... ERROR! (ret = -1)"

What can I try to do? I tried a backup game and it loads. What is "IOS70-64-v6687 [Patched][FreeTheBug].wad" necessary for?

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bevardimus said:
OK I'm going to list out exactly what I've done, and maybe someone here will notice something and be able to help me out:

1) I stupidly updated through Nintendo to 4.2u before checking online that it was a safe update to perform. After noticing it deleted my homebrew channel I became alarmed and quickly came to this site. I should mention that I only ever installed the homebrew channel and the movie player codec (or whatever it is) on my Wii; I never screwed with IOSes or any serious hacking because I only ever used the homebrew channel for emulators and the movie player.

2) After a surprisingly short amount of time, this guide was updated for 4.2 and I followed it step by step to restore my homebrew channel. This was the first time I ever made a NAND backup and the first time I ever screwed with IOSes. Guide worked great and everything seemed perfect.

3) I loaded the disc I had in at the time (Tiger 10) to make sure it worked, and it did.

4) I then went to the SD card menu to make sure it still worked, and my Wii froze up.

5) I restarted the Wii and noticed that the disc channel now displayed "Wii system update" instead of Tiger 10.

6) I then tried to connect to the internet (through Wii settings --> connection test) and couldn't get a connection. Homebrew channel wouldn't connect either. It seems that my Wii is blocking my internet access until the system update is performed, even though my settings menu confirms that I am indeed on 4.2u already.

7) I used my NAND backup to restore my Wii to the point I backed it up using this guide (so right after installing homebrew channel, movie codec, and bootmii on boot2). Tiger 10 showed up fine and I could connect to the internet just fine at this point, so I decided to leave it as is and not continue with the other steps in this guide, figuring I wouldn't need to if I'm not going to be using any backup loaders (am I right about this part?)

8) I used ANYTITLE DELETER to remove photo channel, news channel, and forecast channel (I hated having them on my Wii menu).

9) I boldly decided to browse the Wii shop channel and noticed the internet channel was updated, so I updated it. And behold, Tiger 10 was once again replaced by the "Wii system update" notice on the disc channel. This time however, I am still able to connect to the internet, but NOT to the Wii shop channel.

My conclusion is that by connecting to Nintendo's server (via Wii Shop Channel), I alerted Nintendo to the fact the my Wii is hacked and it is now blocked from having disc channel access and WSC access. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.
Now, an obvious solution would be to restore my Wii again using NAND backup and simply not use the Wii Shop Channel. However, I would like to use it! I occasionally buy WiiWare games there and refuse to steal them cuz I support the idea of fresh, download-only games SOOOOOO MUCH and if everybody just pirates them off the internet they won't get made anymore (or quality will suffer).
Somebody please let me know if there is a way around Nintendo's blocking of my shop channel and disc channel access!!! Also, please read step 7 above carefully... am I right about that?

It's one of the following issues.

When you updated to 4.2 using on the guide you probably trucha bugged some ios files.Now when you put the tiger woods game into the wii it probly has the same ios files on it and wants to update them because the ones on your wii system have been bugged.

Maybe there is a system menu update on the tiger woods disc maybe.I don't know if there is for sure because i don't have the game but if there is one its probably 3.4 or 4.0 and its checking your wii system and seeing that you dont have the photo,news,forecast channel

Anytime you delete the photo,forecast,news channels ext and do a system update they will be reinstalled.My guess is that something is checking for an update and seeing you don't have those installed anymore and thats why its prompting you to update.

I highly doubt nintendo dectected your hacked system and is blocking you.No one else is reporting anything like that.

My advice would be to just do the update and see what happens or try a different game other then tiger woods 2010 and see if it prompts you for the update from a different disc as well.

mathman123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I get to step 10 to install do not reaload IOS it installs properly. Then when I go to restart my wii, the wii freezes. Please help me! I will be in so much trouble if my wii is bricked or something!!! BTW I am running 4.2.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One thing I noticed that was different in the guide was at this step:

15] Run cIOS 222/223 installer v4
Choose IOS 249 for installation.
Install Custom IOS 222 and select IOS38 merged with IOS37.
Restart and install Custom IOS 223 and select IOS60 merged with IOS38.

At the last part I had "select ISO38 merged with IOS60." Was it just typed in backwards in the guide?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    On Android I like Adblock Browser
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just say Mexicos a fake America
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, what about tacos?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco bell
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco flavored kisses
    Taco Tuesday and Wetback Wednesday Thott Thursday Freaky Friday lol
    Midget Monday is best
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, mexican tacos existed before taco bell
    Taco Bell is about as Mexican as Pizza Hut
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Taco bell is authentic Mexican food what are you talking about
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    California is Mexico
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    oled gbasp pl0x
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    touchscreen?????
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    is there any gba homebrew that would offer use for that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The Touchscreen makes using system menu options for brightness and filter adjustments easier
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, who said anything about touchscreen?
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the video title is
    "We Now Have A Touch Screen And OLED Modded Game Boy Color"
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On screen keys would be cool if the rubber ever fails
    I feel like at that point might as well go emulation lol
    One of those RG things
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some people just like using original hardware for the hobby point of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can easily buy replacement buttons but it's a good fall back
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    on screen keys would be cool but the gba screen is pretty tiny though :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'd rather use emulation but it's cool regardless again the main point of the Touchscreen isn't just for buttons but for menu options
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'd rather use emulation but it's cool regardless again the main point of the Touchscreen isn't...