Modified 360 vs. Modified PS3

jeffmangum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ok I've had my jtagged xbox for about 2 months now. And i'm really happy with it cause its what I needed which is playing backup games using an HDD.

But I'm still curious about the PS3. I just realized how I liked the exclusives of ps3 better. The only thing I liked about the 360 is Kinect (although not really cause my sister forced me to buy 360 cause of that).
And I hate that I cant go to Xbox live and its not free either. And I really wanna play GTA V online (although hey're saying its not worth it if you dont have friends who play that which i dont)

Question is,
Is it worth it to switch to a modified ps3? Are they basically the same with JTAG? And as easy to use as JTAG?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you find a ps3 that had 3.55 firmware on it, yes it is extremely easy. But many would advise against going online with the ps3 too on cfw

jeffmangum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
As long as you find a ps3 that had 3.55 firmware on it, yes it is extremely easy. But many would advise against going online with the ps3 too on cfw

I was thinking of buying it already modified so I wouldnt have trouble looking for a hackable unit. Like what I did on my Xbox. They sell already jtagged xbox. And do they hard modify the ps3 like in jtags?

Oh so its not a good idea to go online on a modified ps3? Well then thats.. not cool cause thats one of the reasons i want to switch to ps3.

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PS3 isn't on CFW so I don't really have any experience on this but from what I've heard chances of getting banned are somewhat high and some multiplayer games like COD will be an instaban. General rule is cheating in online games will get you a ban, usually both CID and your PSN account.

jeffmangum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
My PS3 isn't on CFW so I don't really have any experience on this but from what I've heard chances of getting banned are somewhat high and some multiplayer games like COD will be an instaban. General rule is cheating in online games will get you a ban, usually both CID and your PSN account.

Wait I know cheating gets you banned but im not gonna cheat. I just wanna know if theyre gonna detect that my console is modified. Like in Xbox where you cant go to Live

SuperSVGA

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are always ways they can detect if your console is modified. You shouldn't run homebrew applications or have any trace of homebrew applications running when signed into PSN. Also don't use a PSN account that you would miss if it got banned. If you can you should buy a console ID to protect yours from getting banned. Usually with modding it's not a question if you will get banned, but when.

jeffmangum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
There are always ways they can detect if your console is modified. You shouldn't run homebrew applications or have any trace of homebrew applications running when signed into PSN. Also don't use a PSN account that you would miss if it got banned. If you can you should buy a console ID to protect yours from getting banned. Usually with modding it's not a question if you will get banned, but when.

So it is possible to play online on ps3 while a jtagged xbox is completely impossible (on Live that is)?

jeffmangum

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I forgot to ask about this..

In xbox 360, to play backups from an hdd, you'd have to jtag it. Which is modifying the hardware and adding that "chip" or whatever that is.

What about the ps3? Whats its equivalent to jtag? Do they modify the hardware too?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to "jtag" a 360 (or a PS3) to play backups from a HDD just so you know. We have things like ODEs, Optical Drive Emulators, that allow you to launch backups from a HDD with little modification required at all.

For the 360 you can use the http://xk3y.com/ which requires you to open your 360 and connect a small PCB to the SATA port.

For the PS3 you can use the http://www.cobra-ode.com/, though it does require some soldering for the newer model PS3s.

Both will allow you to play online without having to do too many modifications to your console, though it should be noted that both of these could technically be detected and, just like any other modification, has a chance for bans.

EDIT: Of course, our resident 360 expert could probably give you more info than I could.

DinohScene

Reactions: TyBlood13

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Every ODDE on the 360 needs the drives DVD key.
On the PS3, you can just plonk it in without BD key extraction, this will require a game in the BD drive when launching games (or certain games)

Both require little hacking and is pretty much plug n play.

ODDE's for the PS3 require game patching (I know nothing about this but Eighteen does)
For the 360, just run the game through ABGX and it auto patches everything.
I made a tut on it in the 360 section which is fool proof ;]

Edit:
New slim drives require RGH for additional files.
Slim Hitachi drives are (iirc) not emulatable, but their a rarity anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ShdwTakashi @ ShdwTakashi: pineapple belong on pizza? The answer is yes until proven otherwise