Modding the WiiU Safe ?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by KEITH-IRL, Jan 16, 2013.

Jan 16, 2013

Modding the WiiU Safe ? by KEITH-IRL at 2:51 PM (12,087 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. KEITH-IRL
    OP

Newcomer KEITH-IRL Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys

I recently got a WiiU which I am loving at the minute, although I'm looking to do the Homebrew Mod, I own nearly every console which all are modded e.g. Xbox360 LT3.0 ,PS3 CFW. I like to mod things lol , so my question is , is safe?

Is it possible for Nintendo to ban?, if they released an update would it brake the system?
    Reason im asking is im new to this never had a Wii before so im kind of a noob at the minute.

Thanks

2. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    You can only mod your Wii side of you Wiiu ( vWii )
    The Wiiu part itself cannot be hacked yet.

as with all mods you will lose your warranty.
    I relatively safe atm.

3. d0rks0ul

Newcomer d0rks0ul Member

Jamaica
    Nothing is ever 100% and no one can predict what Nintendo is going to do in the future. Don't do it if you're not willing to accept the risks. Banning, bricking, voiding your warranty, or other undesirable outcomes are all risks with modifying. Proceed at your own risk.

4. KEITH-IRL
    OP

Newcomer KEITH-IRL Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies, my only real concern is that if they updated the system it would brick it as files like the ISO files has been modified , do you guys think it would be possible ? and if you dont update it would that mean no online or miiverse?

5. julialy

Member julialy Homebrewer

United States
    The current Update does not affect VII mode.
    If the system software sees an update is available, the system will block VII mode until your system is updated.

(EDIT: made some correct)

6. d0rks0ul

Newcomer d0rks0ul Member

Jamaica
    No one knows what if anything Nintendo is going to do in future updates or how that will impact the system. But you can identify that as a possible risk of modifying your Wii U. If you're going to mod your Wii U, you should be willing to accept those as possible outcomes. Even if they are unlikely.

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    You may want to take a look at the wii hacking section. While it is in no way a guarantee that nintendo will follow the same policy regarding hacking, it's rather likely they will somewhat follow the same course.

Hacking thus far is limited to the vwii side of things. Those things are relatively brick-safe providing you follow instructions (and you do NOT use wii files on the wiiu, unless VERY SPECIFICALLY mentioned).

So...what to expect if nintendo's policy (as well as game developers) remains...
    -updates will be pushed by pop-ups and games that come with new firmware. However, it won't exactly be mandatory.
    -official firmware updates will delete the softmod, but it won't thoroughly scan for their presence on any other moments. -> there won't be anything blocking you for going online.
    -there will be some anti-homebrew attempts by nintendo (IOS reloading and things like that), but assuming they haven't invested in security and the homebrew team is the same, those won't have a major impact on things.
    -quite some wii homebrew will either be playable from the start or get some ports or even updates (emulators being the main one).

Remember: all of this is about the vwii, which is sandboxed within the wiiu. How they'll react once real hacks for the wiiu make their way to the public internet is unknown. Same thing for how things will develop. My guess is they'll be more aggressive, if not for anything else, for their third party developers.

That said, if you really want to be on the safe side, it's easier to just pick up a cheap wii. It's very easily softmodded*, can play pretty much anything, including online, and the chances of nintendo messing with it are getting slimmer with the day.

*unless you count that Canadian miniwii-thing

8. heat6jones

Member heat6jones GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't think it's worth the risk of being banned online. I bought a Wii U because my PS3 was banned online for CFW so I will not be softmodding my Wii U. It's better to just buy a used Wii instead.

9. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    Where is the source of these facts? When did Sony become Nintendo?

10. heat6jones

Member heat6jones GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I didn't say they will ban but they could if they wanted too. Everyone in the PS3 scene said Sony wasn't M$ so it was safe. Then I ended up banned. Take the risk if you want.

11. Hielkenator

Netherlands
    I know there's a risk, but you know this when you mod your WiiU.
    FYI, Nintendo does ban people, but only if you cheat online.

The same conversations were made when the Wii became hackable.
    The PS3 etc were released around the same time span as wii was, remember?
    Anyway the WiiU is'nt even hackable ATM ( apart from vWii ), so what are we talking about, anyway?

12. KoopaHax35000vr

Member KoopaHax35000vr Idk

United States
    I wouldnt softmod yet until it has been confirmed that npriiloader works so that you can recover from a vwii brick