Hacking Modding Pokemon Battle Revolution's Announcer Voice with Brawlbox?

Nebaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, nice to finally join the GBAT community after years of stalking(it's my first post, and hopefully I have this in the right section!)

So, a week or so ago I got an itch to try and mod one of the GC/WII pokemon titles, so I decided to go with Battle Revolution for the Wii since it seemed more promising and had less to alter. Right off the bat, I tried to alter the sound files since they were out in the open, and got mixed results. Let me explain -

As you can see from the wiiscrubber pic, the game separates sounds for the game into two parts, a .brsar archive(which holds all the announcers .wav files), and a bunch of external .brstm files(which are basically the battle music and pokemon cries).

The .brstm files, I have successfully swapped in my own music, with no issue. Unfortunately the part I was excited to change, the announcer's files in the .brsar, has not yielded the same results. Here is a shot of the aforementioned .brsar opened in Brawlbox(which has the most current .brsar editing capabilities as far as I'm aware)

The issue is, I'm not able to successfully alter the .bsrar no matter what I do. For instance, let's say I want to alter the announcer files for...idk, charmeleon. For each pokemon, they have 5 announcer files each(basically varying emotional ways of saying their name). Charmeleon's folder is pk005, as he's the 5th pokemon.

Now if I swap any of charmeleon's .wav's with my own custom one(recorded at same exact length and frequency in audacity), and then save and or export the .brsar, Brawlbox immediately stops working upon re-opening the .brsar -

This is incredibly frustrating because, I can do the exact same process with most other game's Brsar's like mario kart wii or SSB without fail. So basically I'm just hoping someone has a guess as to what I need to do different for this game, or if they know of another way to edit the files without Brawlbox. Thanks for any help, it will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Nebaku,

Nebaku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an update on my part. So, I decided to manually try and hex-edit the conversion myself -

I basically just created two copies of the brsar archive. The first one untouched(initially), and then a second one, in which I opened in Brawlbox, threw in my own wav files, saved, and closed. Now the second one will crash brawlbox when opened.

What I did then, is open up up both the untouched and the touched version side by side in a hex editor, and then simply cut out the edited data parts from v.2 and replaced them in v.1....And it works!!! I'm able to open up the edited v.1 in brawlbox and hear my sweet sweet voice!

It's certainly not ideal, but it does mean editing the announcer files is doable, which is very very exciting. I'm not sure WHY exactly just using brawlbox alone crashes it. But since I'm only taking the data portion of the edited wav files from it, my best guess is that saving in brawlbox also messes with the pointers that dictate where each file is located.

I'll update further if I find anything else out :)

monify

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi new here. Is there any way to mod characters? not to mod a new character in the game but to mod your character that can only be used during a ds battle. Ex: Dawn?

Blackmage907

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bumping this because I'm sort of having the same problem, when I try to import the recorded Wav file brawlbox either crashes or throws an error. So I can't even get to the point where I can hex edit the files, also I wasn't quite sure what you meant replacing the edited values over the untouched brsar archive because it wouldn't have your Wav file in it anyway So how would hex editing the values from 2 to 1 play your voice when it was only imported and saved into number 2?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: In your high school diary?