Modded Wii won't read DVDs

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Convik, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Convik
    OP

Convik Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    I modded my friend's Wii and everything is working fine except when I try to load backup DVDs. I used DVDs that worked on my wii on GeckoOS. I tried GeckoOS, Softchip, and NeoGamma but none of them read the discs. The disc channel read real wii dics fine. I think his wii might be too new, he said he got it for Christmas, does that mean it can't read DVDs or is there another reason?

2. OncleJulien

OncleJulien tool of peers

Apr 6, 2009
    United States
    Los Angeles
    you worked it out perfectly, chief.

3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    It's certainly possible: nintendo started equipping new wii's with DVD drives that can't read backup drives more or less around that time (linky with a bit more info). I'm afraid he's gotta need an USB drive for backup-ing needs.

4. H.K.

H.K. Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Greece
    make a quick search in the site and you will find out that all the Black wii's and the newest white ones have on board a chip which doesn't let backup dvd's to be played, so you can use a usb loader, just make him buy a hard disk, it is far way better than having a pile of dvd's.

5. Convik
    OP

Convik Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2009
    United States
    Ya I use an external harddrive and it's way better. The site said the Wii has a 75% change of having a chipset GC2-D3-2 (v2) with no drive chip and a 25% chance the chipset is Combined GC2-D3 with no drive chip. What does that mean?

6. Riley

Riley GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 9, 2009
    Canada
    BC Canada
    It doesnt matter. The wii's shipped 2009+ all have the drives that cant play dvd.

7. cheez203

cheez203 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 20, 2010
    Canada
    The new wii has the new d3-2 drive cant play backups.Only option is USB Loading and sd card loading. Bu i heard you can attach an external drive and play discs from that or something.

8. Burton

Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Mar 7, 2006
    Yes, with uLoader.