Hacking Modded Switch - unable to go online

Francesca

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
I've had my Switch modded for over a month now but haven't been able to go online. When I try to access online features, it asks me to log into my Nintendo Online account (which I never created / matched with my console since I'd set up PegaSwitch DNS immediately when setting up my ipatched console for modding). Attempting to do so gives me this message:

Error Code 2155-8007

An error has occurred.

Please try again later.

If the problem persists, please try performing a system update from () (System Settings) -> System on the HOME Menu.

So I've been wondering...

1) Is the problem really solved by updating the firmware? My emunand is 8.1.0 (AMS 0.9.2), which apparently isn't the new one any longer. If so, how do I accomplish this without getting supernag or whatever?

2) My internet must be working because I'm able to access and use HBGShop / tinfoil for all purposes. I just can't go online in games, it seems.

3) Is it even a good idea to go online on (an NSP-infested) emunand? In games like Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fuelled, you can't unlock most of the characters without going online apparently. How do people go online on backups? They don't?

4) I vaguely remember hearing something about Nintendo Online being paid-only a couple months ago. Can paying for a Nintendo membership while using backups on an emuMMC work out?

Bowthorpe123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I’m understanding what you’ve done correctly. The DNS blocks a connection to Nintendo servers hence you not being able to do anything related to Nintendo online.

I’m new to the scene but this is done so you can browse the home brew store and get online with home brew but avoid anything Nintendo.

If you go online, you will be banned from what I understand. So you can change your DNS settings to get back online, but should only be doing this on OFW clean with a legit cartridge or download

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You cannot go online with backups. Or technically you can but you're just begging for a ban. Once you're banned you can never go online on that Switch ever again.

The point of emunand is not so you can play backups online at all, it's so you can use it for backups and homebrew and then use your legit firmware for legit games to go online, not backups.

Last edited by EmulateLife,

Pinkton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know you've probably gotten your answers, but for ease I'll actually answer directly, quoting your questions.

1) Is the problem really solved by updating the firmware? My emunand is 8.1.0 (AMS 0.9.2), which apparently isn't the new one any longer. If so, how do I accomplish this without getting supernag or whatever?

No. As you've said, and others above me have mentioned, Pega DNS is designed to stop you from connecting to N servers, allowing you to (try) stay unbanned if you go to the wider web. Nothing you've done, from this question alone, is at 'fault' per se.

2) My internet must be working because I'm able to access and use HBGShop / tinfoil for all purposes. I just can't go online in games, it seems.

See above. Anything N related IP wise is blocked for your consoles safety. We don't like being hit with a ban hammer now, do we?

3) Is it even a good idea to go online on (an NSP-infested) emunand? In games like Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fuelled, you can't unlock most of the characters without going online apparently. How do people go online on backups? They don't?

No. Emphatically no. Anything you DON'T OWN ON CART or have DIGITALLY PURCHASED should go online, and for gaming gods sake do not install on your OFW unless you have a clean backup. Clean being, untouched by anything. Nothing. Zip. Not even loaded it up to test... Not sure what the line is with a backup nsp from your own private cart is, but, still wouldn't do it as it may check other things I'm not fully in the loop over (such as game time in games you don't own or have registered)

4) I vaguely remember hearing something about Nintendo Online being paid-only a couple months ago. Can paying for a Nintendo membership while using backups on an emuMMC work out?

N has indeed got paid online service for playing games with strangers and friends online. Having an EmuMMC will not protect you from a banhammer as your info goes online (individual console serial checks) and therefore will still ban your OFW even if you only have ever used CFW.

If any of the above information is completely wrong, someone @ me and I'll correct, but I think this is pretty safe to say with certainty.

Last edited by Pinkton,
Reactions: Francesca

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.