Gameboy Modding!
This group is for people who enjoy modding Gameboys of every kind. Feel free to post your Gameboy mods here!
Gameboy Modding!
Gameboy Modding!

Modded GBC audio help please

  • Thread starter Thread starter MRHYDE3891
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 54
  • Replies Replies 7

MRHYDE3891

Member
Newcomer
Joined
Oct 26, 2022
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
Trophies
0
Age
43
XP
84
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I recently bought a modded GBC from eBay and I’m quite disappointed. It has a nice IPS screen although I can see some dust underneath, the battery life is ridiculous. I usually use high powered rechargeable AA’s in my modded GBAs but for this they don’t seem to have enough power. I’ve switched to non rechargeable AAs and it seems ok ish. The most annoying problem is the sound. I can see it has a new speaker with a little circuit board on it. Adjusting the volume is like tuning an old radio. You have to turn it incredibly slowly and try and find a point where it is clear. Plus there is a constant and very annoying high pitch whine in the background. I haven’t really played on it since I got it last week as it’s just not enjoyable with these issues. EBay item description says no returns and he seemed to think all modded Gameboys are like this. I pointed out that my modded GBAs have perfect sound.

Is there anyone here that can suggest any way I can fix it? I’m ok with a soldering iron! I replaced the triggers on one of my GBAs and fixed those anyway!

Apologies for joining just to ask for help. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Hi, I recently bought a modded GBC from eBay and I’m quite disappointed. It has a nice IPS screen although I can see some dust underneath, the battery life is ridiculous. I usually use high powered rechargeable AA’s in my modded GBAs but for this they don’t seem to have enough power. I’ve switched to non rechargeable AAs and it seems ok ish. The most annoying problem is the sound. I can see it has a new speaker with a little circuit board on it. Adjusting the volume is like tuning an old radio. You have to turn it incredibly slowly and try and find a point where it is clear. Plus there is a constant and very annoying high pitch whine in the background. I haven’t really played on it since I got it last week as it’s just not enjoyable with these issues. EBay item description says no returns and he seemed to think all modded Gameboys are like this. I pointed out that my modded GBAs have perfect sound.

Is there anyone here that can suggest any way I can fix it? I’m ok with a soldering iron! I replaced the triggers on one of my GBAs and fixed those anyway!

Apologies for joining just to ask for help. Any advice would be appreciated.
Is the high pitch only at the headphone jack? Thats a common issue and can be fixed if you bypass some components. There are tutorials online. I just made a quick search and found this. It is about DMG classic, but more or less the same procedure, I guess. https://moddingfridays.bleu255.com/Game_Boy_Pro_sound_mods
 
Is the high pitch only at the headphone jack? Thats a common issue and can be fixed if you bypass some components. There are tutorials online. I just made a quick search and found this. It is about DMG classic, but more or less the same procedure, I guess.
Hi thanks for replying. I have Sound issues through speaker and headphones. Though the high pitch whine is only through the speaker I think I’ll have to check again. I found something on YouTube this morning which has made me think I need to change the volume control dial so I’ve ordered one of those and a new speaker just in case. I’m not great with a soldering iron and it looks quite fiddly. Bit worried I’m gonna break it!
Post automatically merged:

I was expecting someone to say I need to change some capacitors to stop the whine.
 
Last edited by MRHYDE3891,
Hi thanks for replying. I have Sound issues through speaker and headphones. Though the high pitch whine is only through the speaker I think I’ll have to check again. I found something on YouTube this morning which has made me think I need to change the volume control dial so I’ve ordered one of those and a new speaker just in case. I’m not great with a soldering iron and it looks quite fiddly. Bit worried I’m gonna break it!
Post automatically merged:

I was expecting someone to say I need to change some capacitors to stop the whine.
ok, as far as i remember the topic correctly, the solution with the bypass only concerns the audio jack, not the speaker.
 
I thought I’d add an update incase anyone ever looks at this thread.

Replacing the modded speaker with a normal one removed the ringing noise but then it was too quiet. Replacing the capacitors fixed this. Replacing the volume control stopped it sounding like an old radio when changing the volume. Adding a new power regulator board that a happened across on eBay fixed some power issues I was having. I can even use good rechargeable batteries now. I think that’s it apart from some new screws and some new buttons which haven’t arrived yet. Very happy.

Edit: Oh and I used the suction cup on the bottom of my daughters tooth brush to pull off the glass screen cover and clean the dust from underneath. Haha
 
Last edited by MRHYDE3891,
I was gonna say, a recap might help with the audio noise. And you should clean out the volume wheel with some alcohol, 91% is recommended. Just get it soaked, and spin it back and forth for a while. Should eliminate the crackling when being adjusted.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SylverReZ
Yeah I didn’t have any alcohol and decided to opt for replacing rather than cleaning incase cleaning didn’t work. Probably should have gone with cleaning as replacing the volume dial was really quite tricky but it works so I’m happy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: SylverReZ and Jayro

Group statistics

Group owner:
Jayro
Members:
326
Threads:
38
Messages:
163
Photos:
6

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted