Gameboy Modding!
This group is for people who enjoy modding Gameboys of every kind. Feel free to post your Gameboy mods here!
Gameboy Modding!
Gameboy Modding!

Modded Gameboy Showcase

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jayro
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 329
  • Replies Replies 27
  • Likes Likes 7

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
15,418
Solutions
2
Reaction score
21,149
Trophies
7
Location
WA State
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
22,319
Country
United States
Post your complete modded Gameboys in this thread.

Here are the Gameboys I've modded and built:

20210709_175640.jpg 20210412_162819.jpg download (9).png 20211108_184222.jpg

GB Color.jpg GB Macro.jpg GBA SP.jpg GBA.jpg



Of all my Gameboy builds, my favorite has to be my blue aluminum "Unhinged SP" build, made possible by Boxypixel.com. It includes USB type C charging, a 1700mAh battery, aluminum buttons, and an IPS screen with 6 brightness levels. Here are more pics of it in more detail, along with the customized travel case I've made for it. It includes enough space inside to include a magnetic USB type-C charging cable behind the screen. The hard case pictured below can be purchased from Funnyplaying.com

20210517_014124.jpg 20210517_014852.jpg 20210517_015911.jpg 20210517_015955.jpg
20210518_023600.jpg 20210518_023536.jpg 20210518_023514.jpg
 
Last edited by Jayro,
That blue modded sp is awesome! Where did you get the case? I’m currently gathering the parts to make a repro Gameboy horror :gba:
 
yVmHP0J.jpgL78CrBP.jpg

My first GBA IPS mod, with Cleanjuice rechargeable battery mod.
...don't know if the battery I got with the Retro6 Cleanjuice board was shot to start with or if there are issues with that board, but it only holds a charge for a matter of minutes! I'll remember to get a new battery at some point, and if that doesn't work I'll get a different brand of board.
 
Vsbtysf.jpegcD37Fiy.jpeg99TdDp5.jpegAcwYI4o.jpegn8KTxTO.jpeg1q8Ddyg.jpegshRzMXi.jpeg

A project I was itching to do awhile back and finally got around to doing some months ago.
Transparent Case
Transparent Ice Blue Glow in The Dark Buttons
New, slightly larger than stock battery
Funnyplaying V2 IPS LCD mod
Custom mod - Blue LED strip soldered to main board

The Blue LED strip was probably the most complicated part of the whole project, had to do a lot of touch and go approaches to see if it worked the way I had hoped it would. For a first time GBA mod attempt I feel it I exceeded my expectations on the results. I want to try more in the future, perhaps a rainbow version with different colour LED's and buttons.
 
View attachment 280395View attachment 280396View attachment 280397View attachment 280398View attachment 280399View attachment 280400View attachment 280401

A project I was itching to do awhile back and finally got around to doing some months ago.
Transparent Case
Transparent Ice Blue Glow in The Dark Buttons
New, slightly larger than stock battery
Funnyplaying V2 IPS LCD mod
Custom mod - Blue LED strip soldered to main board

The Blue LED strip was probably the most complicated part of the whole project, had to do a lot of touch and go approaches to see if it worked the way I had hoped it would. For a first time GBA mod attempt I feel it I exceeded my expectations on the results. I want to try more in the future, perhaps a rainbow version with different colour LED's and buttons.
Wow, cool LED mod!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dr_Faustus
View attachment 280374View attachment 280375

My first GBA IPS mod, with Cleanjuice rechargeable battery mod.
...don't know if the battery I got with the Retro6 Cleanjuice board was shot to start with or if there are issues with that board, but it only holds a charge for a matter of minutes! I'll remember to get a new battery at some point, and if that doesn't work I'll get a different brand of board.
I have that board, and one of the contact pads lifted clean off, so I replaced it with a TP4056 (USB C version) board instead, and it's working flawlessly with that exact battery.
 
  • Like
Reactions: duwen
20211020_073536.jpg20211020_073608.jpg

My first attempt at modding a GBA, it has a IPSv2 screen with 6 brightness levels, a 1800 mA LiPo battery and USB-C (5v 1A max) charging. I lost the battery cover so I can't show you how that it fits perfectly in there so you gotta have to trust me for now until I find it again.
 
View attachment 280645View attachment 280646

My first attempt at modding a GBA, it has a IPSv2 screen with 6 brightness levels, a 1800 mA LiPo battery and USB-C (5v 1A max) charging. I lost the battery cover so I can't show you how that it fits perfectly in there so you gotta have to trust me for now until I find it again.
That's the same battery mod I did to mine. Works great too, even at default brightness.
 
Wow, cool LED mod!
Thanks! I should try to upload a small diagram of what points should be tapped for it to work. Since I had to figure it out the hard way it should be something that anyone with minor soldering ability can do if they're confident enough!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Jayro
Any issues when running GBC carts? I wondered if that was part of the problem with mine, as I was mainly playing GBC carts and I know they have different power requirements.
Normal GBC and GC carts work fine from my experience, the EZ Flash Jr. will shut off the system when inserted due to overloading the battery however (When having an IPS screen installed and on a brightness level above 2). With the stock screen installed the battery lasts about 2.5h on an EZ Flash Jr.
 
Normal GBC and GC carts work fine from my experience, the EZ Flash Jr. will shut off the system when inserted due to overloading the battery however (When having an IPS screen installed and on a brightness level above 2). With the stock screen installed the battery lasts about 2.5h on an EZ Flash Jr.
Yeah, I don't use my Jr on my GBA systems. I heep it for my GBC, and have no issues with it there either.
 
Thanks! I should try to upload a small diagram of what points should be tapped for it to work. Since I had to figure it out the hard way it should be something that anyone with minor soldering ability can do if they're confident enough!
That would be super helpful!
 
Before:
20210211_135252.jpg

After:
20210211_193741.jpg
20210304_015511.jpg
20210302_152806.jpg
RIPS v4 screens, new shells, buttons and membranes, recapped for good measure (it was a pain and I didn't really need to do it but eh at least I don't have to worry about those failing any time soon), I also replaced the power LEDs with amber and blue. Got all the parts from RetroModding except for the caps and the LEDs.
The Game Boys were in pretty decent shape already, no battery corrosion or anything, only the case of the gray one was in a pretty sad state with the screen bezel loose and several broken screw posts, it wouldn't stay in one piece, and the screen had some marks on it, so it was a perfect candidate. Also got a good deal on it.
However I got some issues with the headphone jack on the black one, I had to take it apart to scrape all the oxidization off the tiny metal contacts with a fiberglass brush, because it wasn't outputting to the speaker anymore, it was stuck on headphone output. That took me a while, it was very fiddly.
 
Wow.. These are some really cool console right here... Wish I had the cash to shell out for some new....shells...
 
Before:
View attachment 280886

After:
View attachment 280887
View attachment 280888
View attachment 280889
RIPS v4 screens, new shells, buttons and membranes, recapped for good measure (it was a pain and I didn't really need to do it but eh at least I don't have to worry about those failing any time soon), I also replaced the power LEDs with amber and blue. Got all the parts from RetroModding except for the caps and the LEDs.
The Game Boys were in pretty decent shape already, no battery corrosion or anything, only the case of the gray one was in a pretty sad state with the screen bezel loose and several broken screw posts, it wouldn't stay in one piece, and the screen had some marks on it, so it was a perfect candidate. Also got a good deal on it.
However I got some issues with the headphone jack on the black one, I had to take it apart to scrape all the oxidization off the tiny metal contacts with a fiberglass brush, because it wasn't outputting to the speaker anymore, it was stuck on headphone output. That took me a while, it was very fiddly.
Those look dope af. I'm getting this custom shell made for my Gameboy Pocket:

GBP Shell Template.png
 
I shoved a Color into a shell of a Pocket, added IPS display, USB type-c rechargable battery and more efficient power supply.
 

Attachments

  • 20211014_104836.jpg
    20211014_104836.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: Jayro and duwen

Group statistics

Group owner:
Jayro
Members:
326
Threads:
38
Messages:
163
Photos:
6

Site & Scene News

New Hot Discussed User Submitted