Modchipped Xbox slow as hell

Discussion in 'Microsoft Xbox' started by razenxd, Aug 9, 2017.

1. razenxd
    OP

razenxd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2013
    Greece
    Hello there,
    First of all i would like to say that for sure i miss some things that probably make the replies being easier
    I'll comeback tomorrow with an updated post but i'm sure that some people could help even with lacking details.
    I'm not familiar with the original xbox or any 360 since i never had one of those but i'm currently trying to figure how to fix a friends original xbox.
    So That's the story
    He owns an xbox (Unknown revision for now will check tommorow)
    Which got a modchip(Unknown would like to figure it too)
    And currently running from what i could see Evolution X(3954.
    So after a fell the xbox became very slow, i told him lets open it up and check the ide cables blow the dust out etc changed ide cable but still xbox is slow.
    What i mean by slow is booting normally the xbox logo and then the microsoft logo and then until it moves to the evolution screen(The one with homer simpson) takes about 15minutes fading, the revolution logo in the background of homer simpson also goes about 1fps(okay i may be hyperbolic here but i guess u get me)
    and after you get to the menu and the xbox logo fully faded its unresponsive, also it always says no disc.
    So my guesses are,
    Dvd drive is bad from the fall along with the hdd.
    I would like first to try change the hdd i got plenty of spare IDE hdd's to give him but i have no clue what to do.
    I saw some posts on net saying that u can change hdd load a dvd of evolution and install it to the hard drive but that's not an option here cause of the dead drive.
    So could i just clone the drive to new one using a windows computer?
    Or could it be any evolution x error?
    Sorry for my long post, i'll come back tommorow with the missing details :)

2. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    I think I remember this being a common issue. It boils down to the hdd being fragged, and AFAIK there's no way to "defrag". Best I can reccomend is backup all data and use the 1fps on your dashboard to format F: and if that doesn't fix then try formatting all drives but beware you will have to have a way to rebuild stuff like the c: and e: drives or you could bork your dashboard.

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    What Tomobobo said is a good plan.

Back up all of the drives you you got (C E F and G)
    Defrag that harddrive you got the backups on and format the F and G drives + X Y Z if it's possible from Evox
    Once the defrag on PC finished, copy the contents of F and G over to the HDD again, then whilst keeping your Xbox on, delete E from the xbox VIA FTP!
    Copy the contents back to E and repeat the same process with C.
    It's important that when you're copying C back to the Xbox via FTP That you do not touch your Xbox nor let it lose power.

That should get rid of the fragmentation and helps to speed it up.
    If it doesn't your HDD is fucked and you'll need to replace it.

Seeing you got a modchip, you might also want to just replace the HDD once you backed everything up to your PC.
    Just install a new dash with Slayers CD and copy the E F and G drives back.

4. DarkGabbz

DarkGabbz Resident XBOX Guy

Dec 29, 2015
    Micronesia, Federated States of
    Modding Xbox'es
    Give me a pic of the chip and it will be easy to find out which chip it is.

5. razenxd
    OP

razenxd Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 6, 2013
    Greece
    Allright thanks for replies so far mates.
    Picture of modchip will come soon enough but unfortonately not today, hadn't the time to get on there and check revision modchip etc.

Thing is as i said that xbox in UNRESPONSIVE when i see the dashboard and dvd drive is dead so i would like to see if i can fix it before he buys a new drive for it :)

6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Doesn't read discs?
    Try tweaking the POT on it.