ModChip Question

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ap0x, Apr 2, 2009.

Apr 2, 2009

ModChip Question by ap0x at 7:34 AM (501 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. ap0x

Newcomer ap0x Member

Jun 16, 2006
    Hi Everyone! Wow, i've been away from the scene for a while, and the past week or so have been quite the learning experience!

I'm finally up to date in terms of the soft mod side of things, but i'd really like the comfort of having a hard/soft mod combo.

Now, I've got a NTSC launch Wii w/ a DMS drive and an original Wiikey. It was working great for a long time, then sometime after SSBB came out (the backup of which worked great), any new disc i was burning were constantly giving me DRE errors. I've been using the same TY DVD-Rs forever, and I think the first disc that didn't work was Soul Calibre or Ghost Recon.

For those of you who've had original Wiikeys, any similar experiences?

Should I think about upgrading this wiikey to a newer chip?

As for a newer chip, I know that WiiKey2 / Wasabi are good options, or Drive Key. Is there a consensus on what's best out there? At least in terms of support? WiiKey team hasn't done the greatest job in my limited experience so far [​IMG]

And finally, if I go the route of upgrading my chip, do i Just cut off the original wiikey?

Any comments would be appreciated! [​IMG]
  2. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    have you updated the firmware, because that can help with a lot of problems
  3. jqwest

Newcomer jqwest Member

Dec 18, 2008
    United States
    Dont need new Chip....definately not chip just upgrade firmware to

I updated and everything worked fine for me....1 more thing I had to change my laser lens on my old drive now everything works 100%